Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as this is my first GW purchase, I didn't know that the miniatures came on sprues and required assembly. (I guess I'm used to the minis coming as one solid piece)

Are they difficult to put together? I hwon't be painting them or anything so no need to worry about that, just need to get them together to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harvey
United States
Sumner
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Nah they're super easy you'll want something similar to https://www.amazon.com/Formula-P3-Clippers-Privateer-Press/d... to clip them out of the sprue, and then file down the excess/x-acto knife the excess on there.

I would recommend GW plastic glue for getting them together irrevocably which is nice for ensuring pieces don't fall off and it melts them together fairly quick and boom you're done.

There indeed is a sort of hobby/modeling aspect to non-boardgame miniatures and it can be a bit time consuming but with some effort you end up with some stellar models to enjoy for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are extremely easy to put together, they are 3 piece push-fit models, so in theory you don't even need to use glue (but you should).

You can see how simple right here:
https://youtu.be/tpHpsM7xxbQ?t=6m36s

It's been designed as an entry point into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would something like this work? http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Tools-Ad...

I don't have a GW near me, and shipping just glue is prohibitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
I just assembled mine tonight - my first complete set of GW minis.

A few things that helped me:

1- don't cut all off at once. Match the numbers and do each type one by one. Also when cutting it is sometimes easier to cut in two steps to reduce the stress (I.e. Cut around the model then trip the excess spruces off afterwards.
2- test (dry fit) before gluing
3- Use a thicker glue and don't use much
4- don't apply directly. Put the glue on wax paper then use a tooth pick to apply to the spots you identified in step 2

I found the human heads were a bit tricky to set so only use a little dab there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are on par with the push-fit miniatures from Assault on Black Reach. That is, they are the easiest miniatures I have ever put together. I actually didn't hate the process and I HATE building and painting miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
privateer4hire wrote:
These are on par with the push-fit miniatures from Assault on Black Reach. That is, they are the easiest miniatures I have ever put together. I actually didn't hate the process and I HATE building and painting miniatures.

You get a GeekGold for your avatar. One of the greatest computer games ever made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:

1- don't cut all off at once. Match the numbers and do each type one by one. Also when cutting it is sometimes easier to cut in two steps to reduce the stress (I.e. Cut around the model then trip the excess spruces off afterwards.
4- don't apply directly. Put the glue on wax paper then use a tooth pick to apply to the spots you identified in step 2

I found the human heads were a bit tricky to set so only use a little dab there.

About how long did it take you to put them all together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the gg Much appreciated.

I'm not who you're asking but I put mine together in about 90 minutes spread over two sessions. I took my leisurely time and cut the models out individually and cleaned off sprue joins/burrs. I also cut the models off as identical pairs (e.g., both human throwers done at once) since that seemed to help.

Also if you have a Wal-Mart, Michaels or Hobby Lobby nearby, you should be able to get plastic cement pretty easily/cheaply. Use toothpicks to apply it exactly where you want it and practice on sprue bits to see how it works before gluing your models. It melts the plastic to bond things together and will melt the model's surface and ruin it, if improperly handled.

OR you could just use super glue very sparingly. These models fit together (always test fit them without glue first) so cleanly that super glue is a very workable choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Be Lasch
Sweden
flag msg tools
Also my first miniatures game, so i took my time

They are very easy to assemble.

Maybe 2 hour, for 24 miniatures like 5 minute/miniatures

If you change your mind and paint.

60 minute to spray base one team.

Paint 4 figure take maybe 2 hour.

So Paint a team like 8 hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For slot-fit models like these you can use any general purpose glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you're interested in having your minis painted with little effort, I'd recommend looking up the dip method of painting talked about in the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Dice Tower review, didn't Sam say something to the effect that even Tom can assemble the minis . That's like a ringing endorcement for super-easy assembly, right laugh ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
lajaro wrote:

About how long did it take you to put them all together?

I'd say it should have taken me 2-3 hours total.

I mistakenly cut all the pieces off the Ogres before realizing they were numbered and had trouble matching the bits up (thus the advice above).

Plus, I didn't have any glue on hand when I started so had to take them apart the next night to glue them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Janaszczak
Poland
flag msg tools
You've probably already taken care of your miniatures but I would just like to add that it wasn't as easy for me. (first GW purchase also) I expected them to be parted but imagined you can just punch it out or something, so I spent about 4 hours cutting out and cennecting base set miniatures. I am still pretty proud considering that only "equipement" I've been using was nail clipper and pocket knife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mausilus wrote:
You've probably already taken care of your miniatures but I would just like to add that it wasn't as easy for me. (first GW purchase also) I expected them to be parted but imagined you can just punch it out or something, so I spent about 4 hours cutting out and cennecting base set miniatures. I am still pretty proud considering that only "equipement" I've been using was nail clipper and pocket knife

Nope, still waiting to get mine. Appears there was a snafu with the post office so still waiting. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:

That will work just fine. GW is almost always the more expensive option and is seldom actually better. You can buy Testors Liquid Cement for Plastics for less and it's the same thing.

It's a big thinner than the plastic cement you linked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never did GW games before, and it was mostly easy. My advice is be very careful with the orcs. All their little armor spikes are difficult to avoid. The two step method when cutting the pieces from the sprues helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I built Space Hulk a few years ago. This seems a bit harder. I used a pair of scissors and an exac-o knife. Scissors got them off the sprues. Knife to trim. Fingernails often worked best on large bits still attached. Didn't destroy much. One Orc lost a thumb somewhere, and the human with the knotted scarf thing had some damage on one of two. It's super simple. Go for it! Slowly, and carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.