7 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Game Length on Steam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Ryan
Italy
flag msg tools
Getting back into playing TS.. I can't remember how the game length works in the steam version...

If it is says 45minutes or 3 hrs or 7 days, what does that mean?

Is it total think time but without a pause?
So a 3 hr game could last 6 in total?

And if I would like to play lets say over 2 evenings what should I put, 2 days?

Is there a pause option mid game between players if they wish?

If I just want to organize a 'when you can', what is the best way to state this?
Is it best to specify in chat before starting?

Asked in the chat but no explanations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a chess clock. The amount of time assigned to each players clock (so the max time the game will last is double the displayed amount).

There is no way to pause the clock during the game.

For "when you can", just set the timer to the maximum possible value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
thebigciao wrote:
Getting back into playing TS.. I can't remember how the game length works in the steam version...

If it is says 45minutes or 3 hrs or 7 days, what does that mean?

Is it total think time but without a pause?
So a 3 hr game could last 6 in total?

And if I would like to play lets say over 2 evenings what should I put, 2 days?

Is there a pause option mid game between players if they wish?

If I just want to organize a 'when you can', what is the best way to state this?
Is it best to specify in chat before starting?

Asked in the chat but no explanations!

It works like a chess clock. So 45 minutes (or 3 hours or 7 days) is the total time that each player has to make their moves. If you finish the game before the timers run out, good. If not, then it's a forfeit for the person whose clock ran out. Not much of a problem there, really, if both folks are on board and paying attention since there is no pause button. And if you want to play a game over two evenings, I'd set it to 3 days just to give a little wiggle room.

If by "when you can" you mean an async game, the best way, I've found, is just create a game with the length of time and parameters (extra influence, random sides or not, etc.). A person who is looking for a game with those setting will probably accept. You can specify in chat, but I've found that it's hit and miss in the chat room. Once you get to know some of the players, you may find a couple regulars who you enjoy playing and who are looking for the same as you.

Edit: slow on the uptake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ryan
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks guys much appreciated and nice and clear, Cheers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Stockholm
msg tools
My view is that this one of many things they could work. Right now, one is at a big disadvantages as the Soviet player as the US players can think during the Soviet players time. Hence, it is motivated that Soviet player get some more time.

I also think that 2 hr each would be useful. In fact, I don't understand why it should not be possible to select any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it'll be better to have 1 minute "clock free" to think before playing the 1st AR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikael Stockholm wrote:
My view is that this one of many things they could work. Right now, one is at a big disadvantages as the Soviet player as the US players can think during the Soviet players time. Hence, it is motivated that Soviet player get some more time.

And the Soviet player can hint during the US player's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.