Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sheppard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wrote the designer asking how modular the expansion was. I've posted it below. I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are.
ZJ

Hello.
I've played the Exodus expansion and had a couple questions.

I was wondering how modular the expansion is? Can I use some of the components like the expansion resistance cards against base game players and they be competitive?

Can base game action cards be used with a new faction board instead of the faction cards?

Could a player using just base game player board play against others using the new factions and still be competitive?

Thanks very much.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I would suggest posing your questions on the forum, so you can get an answer also from the community.

1. You can use pieces of the expansion with the base game, the rules are consistent, but please be aware that we have not play-tested like that.
2. Action cards from the expansion have been designed with a specific faction in mind. We'd advise against playing with another faction's cards.
3.Probably yes, but faction specific technologies are slightly more powerful.

Best regards,

Andrei

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andrei (obviously). However, I would also like to add a few things.

Expansion Resistance cards can be added without a problem. Just be aware that some offer rewards which assume you are using other parts of the expansion (such as Combat Cards).

Like Andrei, I would advise against using base game Action cards with any faction, or using faction Action cards with a faction other than the one they are intended for. The balance will be greatly upset by changing the action economy.

Can you be competitive with a "generic" faction against EoE factions? Sure. However, you will need a slight boost. I would recommend the following setup changes for a "generic" faction:

The player may spend up to 25 CP before the game starts to research up to 6 technologies. No discounts apply and any unused CP is lost. No technologies with a value higher than 13 CP may be researched at this stage.

Starting resources — player's choice of any combination of five options chosen from:
• 5 CP
• 1 Axinium
• 1 Phasium

(Example: 15 CP, 1 Ax, 1 Ph OR 25 CP OR 10 CP, 2 Ax, 1 Ph, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say:

1. Yes.

2. No, it just won't work.

3. If you want to lose. Like Rainer said above, you need a hefty boost to compete with the factions when you do not have access to special tech.
You will be missing out on a faction power, stronger action cards, and very powerful tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.