Subject: Your copy of Seafall can be replayable with a few simple steps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I'm starting a second campaign tomorrow, bought a new box, and I realized I could have (and should have) saved those 80 € if had known in advance a few simple things.
I did it this time, and intend to have my 2nd copy of Seafall be useful for a 3rd campaign after we're done.

To make Seafall replayable, all you need is :
- a good pair of scissors
- printable label sheets, the kind that can be removed without leaving glue or paper residue (cost me about 8€ - $12 for a full box, you can probably find that cheaper). Ideally you would want 10 or so full sheet of A4 sticker paper (that you can then recut to whichever size) + 1sheet of small stickers.
- a good quality printer that can do color-copy

Now, BEFORE THE PROLOGUE :
MAKE A COPY on a sticker sheet of all the stickers in the box : Enmity, Permanent Upgrades, and exploration sites and islands.
Don't forget the Retired advisors.
Make a copy on normal paper of the map inside the Captain's booke, and the Chronicles at the back of the rulebook (there will be something else to copy in the future

Very vague and minor spoiler
Spoiler (click to reveal)
when you open box 3 there will be another part of the Captain's Booke that you should copy, it will become obvious at that time.

(These steps are only necessary if you want to fully return the board to its "NEW" state. You can also write names normally and put stickers over them in a later campaign)
Cut a small white sticker and paste it on every island (and province) name, and another (smaller) one on the "colony" space under it.

Do the same on the names of your ships and province (if you're like me, you can even change the names of your ships everytime they sink)

Do the same on the names of the advisors (although I guess if you're playing with the same group it is fine to let them keep the same name) and the leaders.

That's mostly it. Now, everytime you open a box, start by copying all the stickers inside. Very minor spoilers about when boxes open :
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Boxes one and 2 only open at the end of a game, but boxes 3, 4, and 5 can be opened in the middle of a game,
it which case you might need to pause the game for 5 minutes, do a copy, then start again. I don't know about box 6 yet, but I would be really surprised if it was impossible to copy.

Every time you're told to destroy a card, put it into an empty box. You can put it into a locker and call it Davy Jones Locker if you fell like not destroying the card makes things less epic.

When you remove Permanent enmity (either because you rolled successes with your Fortune/Rep tokens or because someone else is covering them), I suggest you peel out the sticker to reuse it somewhere else. This way, you should be able to easily do 2, maybe 3 campaigns without running out of the original Enmity Stickers, because cutting these from a full A4 sheet will be boring.

At the end of the campaign, you can just remove all the stickers (the ones you got inside the box are easily peelable as well, so I strongly recommend using them for your first run through to make things less fiddly).

Tada !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dawson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for that.

Seems better than my idea of cutting everything as tokens and using blue tack to place them semi permanently on the board and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan for this was to use sleeves for the advisors, leaders and island sites, etc., but I couldn't work out a good option for the main map.

Sounds like the removable adhesive you're using would make a great alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's very good of you to post this, but you might change the title to say:

"with a few simple+1 steps" because I would not describe your process as "simple" by any stretch of the imagination.

For those with the appropriate skills, time and patience this would seem to be a good fix for a replay. Please let us know how it worked out if you make it to your next game.

BTW, I'm waiting on Gloomhaven (another sticker-laden game) where the developer has suggested something along your lines -- he seems to believe that the stickers can be peeled off and re-used in a future game.

Maybe future publishers of Legacy-style games will make more of an effort to provide do-it-yourself kits for people who want to play their game more than once. We can always hope!

FWIW, my group at the FLGS kind of gasped and turned pale when I told them that I would be throwing Seafall away after we finished. I'm not sure they believed me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:

"with a few simple+1 steps" because I would not describe your process as "simple" by any stretch of the imagination.

Really ? It took me what, a 15 minute detour by a craft shop on my way back from work, half an hour of making sure I had a sticker on everything and doing the colour copy, and in future games it may mean the players use the downtime to cut some stickers. It is not nothing, sure, but it's not that hard nor complicated.

It took me another half hour to copy everything from the boxes (which I could do because I wasn't afraid of spoilers, having already done a campaign.) There, done.

Learning the rules of SeaFall was harder, longer and more complicated than that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.