Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played My village and it was a pretty good game. It did feel a bit long and slightly boring at times. But I only played once so I dont count that. However anyone who has played both, which is the more fun version? I know they are not the same exact game but I jusy looking for the more preferable one.

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even me and my friends enjoy most of the game with dices. This one however, we all feel like the original one is better.

1. It's feel more thematic because in this game you use octagon wooden piece to represent everything, quiet confuse sometime.

2. The game add much more of strategic layer of dice combo, which cause more downtime for us.

3. The card pool take a lot of space on table, and some of us feel overwhelm with the choice.

In conclusion, My Village is a very good game with a lot more mechanic and strategy than Village, but sadly it does not fit my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and have played both.

I easily prefer Village over My Village.

I also own both expansions for Village but haven't even tried them yet because I have still been playing with only the base game. I think I am at a point where I will be adding both expansions though.

My Village has, as far as I have played, fairly scripted approach. You should go get one of the churches first to define your core strategy, then you might want to go to the town hall (or merchant guild... can't remember how it's called: red coloured building) to decide on back-up strategy to maximise efficiency.

That's pretty much it. All other cards don't really add any variability. It relies heavily on the dice to do that for you, sometimes blocking you from what you want to do because you didn't roll the right combination of dice for example.

In Village I think you can choose more freely what you want to do and you can re-adjust if you need to (although not necessarily advisable and you really should push through) but I think it is of more consequence to you what other players are playing since they may negate you the taking of certain actions by depleting resource pools, etc.

I feel it's more competitive, it looks nicer (although that rat infestation artwork is absolutely beautiful), it plays more fast paced and it isn't as constricted in what you can do as My Village.

Also, Village plays great with any number of players whereas My Village I prefer to play with 2 players. Furthermore, you can add a 5th player to Village with the first expansion (although I haven't tried it yet).

I think Village has a lot more going for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Village long ago and thought it was just OK; never went back. I like My Village much more than what I remember of Village!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
I played Village long ago and thought it was just OK; never went back. I like My Village much more than what I remember of Village!

same here. Although i've played te latter only two times, both times four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both a fair amount recently. I find that there is actually more ways to advance in My Village than in Village. I have experienced My Village as a tad more subtile and with a longer learning curve than Village. This has perhaps led those who have but a limited experience to an impression that misapprehends this subtly. I would certainly agree with the obvious that My Village takes up more and perhaps too much space on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for the input. Please keep em coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it takes up all that much room! Most cards can be overlapped to show only the relevant portions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
A little late, but I have played both games. My take is that My Village lags behind Village in a couple of ways. As Pedro said, once you buy your bonus scoring cards in My Village, your optimal strategy is set. From there you just look for ways to make the dice work for you. By contrast, the limited number of activation cubes on the scoring actions (Market, Travel and Town Hall) in Village ensure that you must have a blended strategy because you will not be able to just "max out" one particular strategy unless your opponents are really bad players. In order to have a blended strategy you will need to look ahead at the number of activation cubes, resources (cubes, goods, grain and coins, both yours and others) and positioning of meeples in order to tell what paths will be, or at least are likely to be, available to you on your upcoming turns. (And this does not even take into account the very important competition for spots in the Chronicle.) No such looking ahead is required, or even possible, in My Village because the dice basically dictate what players will be able to do on the their turns. In spite of the lack of strategic variety in My Village, the large number cards and dice make the game fiddly and slow. It is particularly painful to play with people who are subject to fits of analysis paralysis. Dice permutations and the number of cards available mean that you could spend quite a bit of time waiting for someone to decide what to do. This is particularly likely when the AP-prone player gets a selection of dice which cannot move their core strategy forward. At that point, there just is not much difference from one choice to another, which brings on fits of AP as the player looks in vain for a distinctively useful option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrapinStation wrote:
A little late, but I have played both games. My take is that My Village lags behind Village in a couple of ways. As Pedro said, once you buy your bonus scoring cards in My Village, your optimal strategy is set. From there you just look for ways to make the dice work for you. By contrast, the limited number of activation cubes on the scoring actions (Market, Travel and Town Hall) in Village ensure that you must have a blended strategy because you will not be able to just "max out" one particular strategy unless your opponents are really bad players. In order to have a blended strategy you will need to look ahead at the number of activation cubes, resources (cubes, goods, grain and coins, both yours and others) and positioning of meeples in order to tell what paths will be, or at least are likely to be, available to you on your upcoming turns. (And this does not even take into account the very important competition for spots in the Chronicle.) No such looking ahead is required, or even possible, in My Village because the dice basically dictate what players will be able to do on the their turns. In spite of the lack of strategic variety in My Village, the large number cards and dice make the game fiddly and slow. It is particularly painful to play with people who are subject to fits of analysis paralysis. Dice permutations and the number of cards available mean that you could spend quite a bit of time waiting for someone to decide what to do. This is particularly likely when the AP-prone player gets a selection of dice which cannot move their core strategy forward. At that point, there just is not much difference from one choice to another, which brings on fits of AP as the player looks in vain for a distinctively useful option.

Game Guy, you need to learn to use paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.