Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Looking for a new lunchtime game to play but I'm really unsure as to what it could potentially be.

Factors:
Time limit: 40-1hr max, would be nice if we can eat while playing (in the past we have played games that go longer then 1 hr and we configured a 'pause state' where we could resume the next day but it would be nice if it was contained to a lunch time)
Players: 4-6+ (Happy with 4-6, if it plays more its a bonus)
Replay-ability: High

I rate replay-ability high because I would like a game that we can play every day without it getting stale for awhile.

Previous SMASH hits (played for months at a time):
- Avalon (we probably have about 300+ games of this under our belt)
- Spyfall
- Secret Hitler
- Code names
- Cosmic Encounter
- Coup
- Love Letter
- Sushi Go
- Captain Sonar (Issue with this is we cannot really eat and play)
- Werewolf
- Telestrations

Games that have been really enjoyed but not consistently played (eg played once every few weeks):
- Colt Express
- Deep Sea Adventure
- Take 6/Coloretto
- Bohnanza
- Escape

Complete misses:
- Bang the dice game
- Mascarade
- King of Tokyo
- Fluxx

Games I'm not considering right now for various reasons:
- One night games
- 7 wonders
- Mysterium

Games I am currently contemplating:
- Deception murder in hong kong: Played this once and it was fun, I'm not sure HOW much you could play it though?
- Betrayal at house on the hill: I've played this and LOVED the idea of it. I thoroughly enjoyed the betrayal mechanic when it became 1vMany and the house exploration element. Although does this get old after awhile? I believe there are many scenarios that could stop it from aging quickly?
- Formula D: This is just a dice chucking fest but still has a bit of strategy involved. I really like the idea of running a 'grand-prix' type event where we have a leader board of who has won the most races etc. My fear here is just one map could get stale.
- The Grizzled + Expansion: Played the grizzled once and it was quite fun, seen the concept for the expansion and I think that adds to it 10 fold!

There is no particular type of game (party, deception etc) that I am after. I am really just after a game that has very high replayabilty! I do really enjoy the idea of having a 'season' type game where we get points and after x games we have a winner though.

Opinions on my thoughts? Other suggestions of great games I should look into? Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dominion or Red7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it always the same people every day? Or whoever can make it?

My suggestions are For Sale and Cockroach Poker. These two are especially good when you've got new people in the mix, as they're really easy to pick up and learn. They're on the shorter side, though, so maybe a combo with some other quick games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are three hundred games we played at our lunchtime group: Games played at Sydney CBD lunch group, Sydney, Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy jones
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill usually takes longer than an hour in my experience. Plus the betrayer has to leave the room for a while as the heroes plan out their strategy, which might be an annoyance during lunch.

Some stuff to try...
-Tiny Epic Galaxies
-Flash Point: Fire Rescue
-RoboRally
-Camel Up

All these can be played in under an hour.

TEG plays really quick yet is a surprisingly meaty strategy game. Comes in a tiny box too, which is a big plus in my book. Can't remember if the max player count is 5 or 6.

Flash Point is a cooperative game that can accommodate up to six (or as few as one). Good replayability because there are different house/building boards to try, different fireman roles to take on, etc. This has been a hit with every group I have introduced it to.

RoboRally is hit or miss with different groups. I like it though. Can play up to eight players. How long it takes depends on how many checkpoints you set up.

Camel Up may be a bit on the light/party side, but it's still pretty good (was an SdJ winner in fact), and can accommodate up to eight players. The pyramid dice-dispenser is a gimmick, but it's a fun gimmick. Could probably play two full rounds of it in one lunch break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: Bronze Age

Recommended because I saw a dice game in your collection.

* Supports solo play.
* Has a small footprint making it a great travel game.
* Plays in 1/2 hour (45 minutes tops).
* Has a good, but more complex, sequel for the Iron Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormzors wrote:
Previous SMASH hits (played for months at a time):
- Avalon (we probably have about 300+ games of this under our belt)
- Captain Sonar (Issue with this is we cannot really eat and play)

I want to work where you work!

You need to grab Skull. Sounds like a perfect fit. Maxes out at 6 with the contents of the box, but you could get crafty and push it further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tiny Epic Galaxies.

Also you may want to have a look at For Sale. It's a great quick playing, easy to learn card game. I've yet to find anyone who dislikes this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Diamant for this exact purpose. 3-8 out of the box. Works great.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
+1 For Sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 6 players for your lunchtime group. I'm lucky when we have 3 guys once a week.

You might want to take a look at Evolution. It plays fairly quickly and takes up to 6 players. With the expansions, you can enhance replayability quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.