Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert DeArmond
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems fairly easy to play this with any game that has a deck of word cards that all have the same card backing (not Codenames).

Prep:
*Get a 5 minute timer.
*Find a deck of word cards that all have the same back (Apples to Apples).
*Take 6 word cards and mark a star on those cards (or blank cards if there are enough), these will be the "Player Cards"

Setup for game:
*Choose one person to be the Master.
*The Master takes as many of the "Player Cards" as players minus 1.
*The Master then shuffles through the remaining word cards and draws one.
*The Master reads the selected word card and add it to the other cards. This will be the word to guess for the round.
*The Master then shuffles these cards (selected card and cards with stars/blanks) and deals one to each player.
*Players that receive cards with stars/blanks are commons (guessers) and the player that receives the word card with no star is the Insider.

Gameplay (Follows as normal in the regular):
Cooperative Phase
*Set the 5 min timer.
*Players take turns asking yes or no questions.
*The Insider knows the answer, but takes care to not reveal himself.
*If the correct answer is not found by the end of the 5 minutes, everyone, including the Master and Insider, lose.

Find the Insider Phase
*Set the 5 min timer.
*The Master and all players try to find the Insider.
*Take a vote to see if the player who guessed the right answer in the Cooperative phase is the Insider. There must be a majority (half plus one) of yes votes that the guesser is the Insider, otherwise discussion continues.
*After discussion, there must be a final vote of who the Insider is before the timer runs out. Whoever receives the most votes (unlike the previous vote), reveals if they are the Insider. Ties settled by the Master.

If the Insider is voted for in either vote, the players and the Master wins, and the Insider lose.
If another player is voted for in either vote, the Insider wins, and the Master and players lose.

Thoughts about this? Are Apples to Apples card the right level of difficulty to guess in 5 minutes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played yet but I'm gonna give it a shot real soon and see if it's fun times. I almost want to buy it for the sweet OiNK box though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert DeArmond
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally not suggesting not buying it! I did a make shift print-and-play version of Spyfall just to satiate me until it got released in the States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Walker
Canada
Simcoe
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the cards from concept? just use the first six options and a die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Downs
United States
Northern
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not Codenames?

Lay out your array of 25 cards as usual.

Take turns on being the MASTER.

Pass out cards to the other players that include 1 INSIDER card.

Everyone closes their eyes.

The MASTER places the timer on the secret word. Then announces they are finished with closed eyes.

The group begins an out loud countdown from 10-0.

The INSIDER then removes the timer from the secret word remembering the secret word.

Then Everyone at 0 opens their eyes.

The MASTER starts the timer.

Players ask questions. The MASTER will give a thumbs up or thumbs down based on if the asking person is on the right track or not.

Use the included timer in Codenames because 5 minutes is too much. The answer is in from of you.

When the time is up the group may take their guess at which of the 25 words was the secret word.

Must be a consensus.

There are so many similar yet different words in a CODENAMES array that the INSIDER can 'hide'. Interesting? Let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question to make sure I got this correctly: Watching video reviews I just noticed that the words on each card in the game seem to be somewhat related by some theme:

* wall, pillar, floor, ceiling, roof, roof terrace: parts of a house
* wood, fire, soil, gold, water, air: "elements"
* colander, vase, bucket, basket, bowl, trash box: "containers", hollow things

Does this have any relevance for the game play? As far as I understand the rules, it does not: Only the master and the insider get to see the card at all but they both also know the exact word - therefore the other words on the card don't matter to them either. Right?

In that case, you could just (assuming you have some way of assigning the roles in secret):

* put a big pile of Codenames cards on the table
* everyone, except for the Master, closes their eyes
* Master cuts the deck randomly, puts the chosen word card in the middle of the table
* Master closes their eyes
* Insider opens their eyes
* Insider closes their eyes
* Master opens their eyes and puts everything back on the pile
* everyone else opens their eyes, too
* play proceeds as per the rules

Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert DeArmond
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I think that is the easiest way of doing it. My method of using blank cards was only so you don't have to go through the "eyes closed" phase.

However, you would still need to deal out something to randomly select who the insider is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hohner
Canada
Castlegar
BC
flag msg tools
Serenity flies again... thanks to cardboard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Assign roles with a few playing cards. Make a small deck with a King (Master), a Joker (Insider), and a number of non-face cards equal to the number of players less two. Shuffle, deal face down, play the rest of the game with Codenames cards as David described!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was out at a restaurant and didn't have any games handy so I used scraps of paper with an X on it to denote the insider. Shook them up in my hand and dispensed them secretly to everyone in their palm. Then the mastermind wrote the code word on a piece of paper and covered it with their hand. Then I made everyone close their eyes, told the insider to open their eyes, I uncovered the paper, counted to 5, then told them to close their eyes, then removed the paper, told everyone to open their eyes and we were ready to start. Worked great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.