Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Tumult» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarifications on the stacking rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Bordelon

Lenoir
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently imported Tumult and we've had a ton of fun with it; it's a great logic puzzle game, and I've seen lots of people who otherwise wouldn't necessarily be interested in this sort of thing dig the game due to its awesome artwork. (Also, people who do wedding planning crush it in the game.)

That said, I don't speak or read any of the languages of the instructions in the box, and Google Translate isn't always the most accurate, so I have some questions as to the stacking rules and their interactions with a few of the cards.

1] First of all, is it true that you can only stack two pieces on top of each other?
2] Are you allowed to stack even if one of the cards isn't a "X wants to be in Y's lap" card? This makes the "I want what X wants" cards quite a bit easier to deal with, as they can often be addressed by simply putting them in a stack.
3] What's the interaction with stacking and the "I want to be far away from X" card? I feel like it's fairly obviously "more than two spaces away", not just "not one or two spaces away, but stacking is OK", but the artwork is ambiguous and the machine translation isn't great either.
4] The big one: what's the interaction with stacking and the "I don't want to be next to or across from X" card? Even the translation doesn't hint at it. We've house-ruled that you also can't be in their lap, since that makes sense, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks a bunch! This is an awesome game, and I think it iterates on Uluru in a really clever way. Stacking is a neat mechanic, to be sure!

P
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauge Rosendahl
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
~ Silence is sexy ~
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the stacking rule opens up some dilemmas (it would never pass in Germany), but it has so much flavor that I included it anyway.
To answer your questions:

1) Yes no more than 2 pieces in each seat.

2) At least one of the two pieces in a stack must have the "I want to sit in ...'s lap"-card referencing the other piece, otherwise they both cry. A "I want the same as ..."-card that mirrors a "I want to sit in ...'s lap"-card, will also make it legal.

3) The "I want to be far away from ..."-card is satisfied if there is at least two spaces between "me" and "...", so no, they would not be allowed to share a seat.

4) yeah well, strictly speaking the rules would allow them to share a seat, but I think it makes very good sense to house rule it that they can't.

I hope this clears it up, and thanks for loving the game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bordelon

Lenoir
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luchau wrote:
I know the stacking rule opens up some dilemmas (it would never pass in Germany), but it has so much flavor that I included it anyway.
To answer your questions:

1) Yes no more than 2 pieces in each seat.

2) At least one of the two pieces in a stack must have the "I want to sit in ...'s lap"-card referencing the other piece, otherwise they both cry. A "I want the same as ..."-card that mirrors a "I want to sit in ...'s lap"-card, will also make it legal.

3) The "I want to be far away from ..."-card is satisfied if there is at least two spaces between "me" and "...", so no, they would not be allowed to share a seat.

4) yeah well, strictly speaking the rules would allow them to share a seat, but I think it makes very good sense to house rule it that they can't.

I hope this clears it up, and thanks for loving the game


Thanks for the answers. Number 2, in particular, is crucial, because we've been solving puzzles a lot by just putting people in each other's laps. The fact that they require a lap card makes it much more challenging. Which is a good thing!

Knock-on question: What's the penalty for more than two in the seat? A tear per extra piece, or...? I ask because it might technically still be worth doing an "illegal" play when you have the "I want what X wants" card and it involves laps, as otherwise you might not be able to satisfy enough of the conditions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauge Rosendahl
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
~ Silence is sexy ~
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Number 2, in particular, is crucial, because we've been solving puzzles a lot by just putting people in each other's laps. The fact that they require a lap card makes it much more challenging. Which is a good thing!

shake That should definitely have been addressed in the rules, sorry! (I'll include it if and when I upload a real english translation).

Quote:
What's the penalty for more than two in the seat?

I'd say that either the chair breaks or they tumble down backwards off of the bench, and in both cases they all cry.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bordelon

Lenoir
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luchau wrote:

Quote:
What's the penalty for more than two in the seat?

I'd say that either the chair breaks or they tumble down backwards off of the bench, and in both cases they all cry.


Makes sense. I see now also that Uluru has an "each can only cry once", and I assume that's also in Tumult, with the exception of the characters on your board.

Awesome. Thanks again for the clarifications!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauge Rosendahl
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
~ Silence is sexy ~
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The translated english rules are now uploaded here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147208/tumult-rules-e...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bordelon

Lenoir
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luchau wrote:
The translated english rules are now uploaded here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147208/tumult-rules-e...


Thanks a lot for posting these! Turns out we'd still been playing one of the cards wrong (we allowed "sit next to" to wrap around corners). Seeing as I'm the guy who almost always wins our games of Tumult, I'm glad to see a rule tweak that actually makes it slightly harder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.