Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the vehicle that delivered my UPS packages today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although hillarious, it appears to be standard practice during the holiday season. Here's an article from 2010.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/13625801/2010/12/Monday/ups-using...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured too it was an efficiency thing. Why drive a large "mother ship" to the destination when you could have a smaller "scout ship" drop it off and not have to worry about parking, turning, maneuvering out of there? Esp. in the photo, looks like a smaller cul-de-sac that would be more cumbersome for a full UPS truck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
During the holidays they rent whatever they can find to deliver packages.

Because 90% those trucks would otherwise be idle, they rent during the holidays.

The FedEx guy who delivered to my house today used a van from Enterprise with magnetic FedEx sticker on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
92 8 13 10/19/89
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was figuring you'd gone ahead and moved to a Florida retirement community. Golf carts everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rivsung
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen plenty of UPS/FedEx using Enterprise style rentals around the holidays but that's a first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That thing looks incredibly awkward... I find it too easy to imagine it tipping backwards like a seesaw.

2. Golf carts are street legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
theapostlegreen wrote:

UPS exists outside of traffic laws. They park in no parking zones, right on red in no right on reds, lefts at no left signs.

This is just a known and accepted thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
theapostlegreen wrote:

UPS exists outside of traffic laws. They park in no parking zones, right on red in no right on reds, lefts at no left signs.

This is just a known and accepted thing.

Well, yes, many are street legal. Particularly in the pictured case being in a residential area.

That is a hilarious shot though. I've seen the Enterprise/Penske/etc. rentals pressed into service this time of year, but never a golf cart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theapostlegreen wrote:
1. That thing looks incredibly awkward... I find it too easy to imagine it tipping backwards like a seesaw.

2. Golf carts are street legal? :what:

We live in a pretty small town (like about 2,000 people). We have two stoplights, and one of them is only on when buses are going in and out of the school, so...not a lot of traffic here. There are actually a couple people in town who have golf carts for their own personal (non-golfing) use, just going around town, so seeing a golf cart on the street wasn't all that unusual. Seeing the UPS guy driving it was a little more surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catka wrote:
I've seen plenty of UPS/FedEx using Enterprise style rentals around the holidays but that's a first.

Yeah, the UPS guy was here the day before with a U-Haul. I'd never seen a UPS golf cart, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theapostlegreen wrote:

Ditto, but doing a bit of research, the average golf cart weights between 500 and 600 lbs (that's without batteries), so I'd imagine if the delivery was board games, they shouldn't go beyond 50 lbs. Center of gravity is still with the cart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Yeah, the UPS guy was here the day before with a U-Haul. I'd never seen a UPS golf cart, though.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:

laugh

I wouldn't be surprised if they just took a regular golf cart and modified it laugh (assuming it wouldn't be cheaper to just have them made from the ground up like that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:

laugh

That one doesn't count! It's obviously a promo for the NASCAR sponsorship. Though it seems like it would work in the case of the OP's sighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
theapostlegreen wrote:

Ditto, but doing a bit of research, the average golf cart weights between 500 and 600 lbs (that's without batteries), so I'd imagine if the delivery was board games, they shouldn't go beyond 50 lbs. Center of gravity is still with the cart

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing... it surely does look precarious, but (as you confirmed) golf carts are heavier than most people probably think.

Thanks to everyone who posted (and PM'd) me to clarify the street legality of golf carts (at least in many jurisdictions!) I learn something new every day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a thread from last year about Amazon delivery using bicycle couriers pulling wagons of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had UPS delivery by golf cart this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.