Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Raley
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a little matter that has me puzzled regarding NPS costs.

Under the Resource Cost for Non-Player soldiers (page 10 #3), it states: "The cost in Resource Points to select this soldier. All their weapons, equipment, and skills are included in the NPS's cost."

Yet in the team selection samples on pages 16 and 39, the numbers only seem to add up if you count the costs for the NPS weapons, equipment, and skills separately.

What am I missing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked at the example on page 39 but there isn't a NPS in the example on page 16. There are two Player Soldiers and 1 Squad Soldier.

edit: Ok, I looked at the example on page 39 and I get the following (resource points in braces):

Player Soldier McDougall {8} + First Aid Kit {2} + 2@Mk 2 Grenades {2} + Ka-Bar {1} = {13 RP}
- The Panic skill(!?) has a negative RP (-1) which would add back to the total if purchased,
but in this case it was part of the Player Soldier's default loadout and included in his RP cost

NPS Walsh {7} comes equipped (at no RP cost) with M1 Rifle, First Aid Kit, Green, and Corpsman = {7 RP}

Squad Soldier Smith {2} comes with nothing = {2 RP}

Squad Soldier Taylor {1} comes equipped (at no RP cost, or in this case, gain) with Panic = {1 RP}
- The Panic card seems to be an exception to the rule that Squad Soldiers don't come with Skill
cards but it clearly shouldn't apply the -1 RP cost (which would make Taylor a free squaddie!)

Thus, 13 + 7 + 2 + 1 = 23 RP (which is the total in the example)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Raley
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that's what I missed. I never thought they'd take two player soldiers in that case.

The example on page 39 is definitely an NPS, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The example text that I have is on page 40 ( per different between PDF and print copy) - that has gear being bought for the PS, while the NPS comes with his gear and the hardy comes with the squad soldier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Raley
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I see what I missed now.

The Panic is inherent to the PS, so I should have ignored that in my counting. Also, I missed the second grenade. Once I take that into account, the numbers balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCauley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing this up David. I was just about to ask the same question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is everyone happy with the amount of flexibility and character that some/most squad soldiers are getting?

I've started doing my "Favourites" list of Soldiers (PS/NPS/SQ) by Nation.. have you started on yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Hark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Is everyone happy with the amount of flexibility and character that some/most squad soldiers are getting?

I've started doing my "Favourites" list of Soldiers (PS/NPS/SQ) by Nation.. have you started on yours?

Now that sounds like a good idea for a new thread, but yes, I have started my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.