30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for 'unique' Euros? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Middleton
msg tools
I'm after reccomendations for Euro games that you would consider 'unique' in that they incorporate mechanisms or styles of game play that other games dont have.

My fiance and I mainly play together so games must be well balanced for 2 players, however we often play up to 4 players. 60-90 mins and Medium/Medium Heavy is the sweet spot for us! Some of our favourite games are Tzolkin, Keyflower, Lewis and Clark, Five Tribes, Archipelago, Targi, Nations. Our most recent purchase, Keyflower, instantly shot to one of our favourites after a couple of plays - such a satisfying game to play! However, afterwards my Fiance commented that it almost felt too easy to learn, and I tended to agree with her. All of our favourite games tend to incorporate rather similar concepts and mechanisms, so we have found lately that we are missing that really 'brain burning' feeling one gets when trying to wrap your head around a game that does something you haven't tried before. Not to say that these games arent deeply strategic or hard in their own respects - we are by no means masters of these games in any way! I think all of the games mentioned above are certainly very distinct from one another, and have given us that feeling when we first started with them - It's just become apparent that the worker placement, minimally luck based euro syle games that we love tend to utilise rather similar concepts, so we are looking for the next challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
I recommend Trickerion. I cannot say enough about how this game's depth continues to reveal itself.

If you are going to use 2 players I highly recommend the expansion dahlgaard's gifts. It tightens up the board, particularly at the theater.

Very intricate in design it may be the euro that is the brain burner you want. The theme comes through in spades which only gets you more involved in the decisions at hand. A longer game though: the box says 30/player but it's closer to 45/player.

Another that is on the way next year is Anachrony also from Mindclash. I kickstarted it and am excited to get my copy in February.

Hope you check out these suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Voyages of Marco Polo is one of my favourite games. I uses dice as your workers and I've yet to find another game that does it the way this one does, but, it is still a worker placement. Scythe might interest you, though I've yet to actually really play. I've only had a 2 player learning game so far. And my favourite game is Blood Rage which people call a hybrid euro/ameritrash. Maybe that'll spice things up for you, area control, action point allowance.. It's worth looking into. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can track down a copy, I highly, Highly, HIGHLY recommend a game called Bruxelles 1893. It is an amazingly interconnected WP game where in a single placing of workers, there is action-selection, auctions, and area majority all happening simultaneously. Seriously, look into it. Watch Rhado's run-through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirty Chicken
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have not played Tzolkin but I know they have a resource wheel, so does Glass Road it works different, oneof my favorite games. Other games I have played recently that might fit is Brass or Power Grid. There is a new kickstarter I guess coming in January for Brass (new artwork) and even a game called Brass Birmingham that has same game play buttwo knew "buildings"and is being played on a new map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like Tzolkin and Five Tribes, I have to recommend Trajan. It definitely has enough going on to keep your brain engaged. It also works great with 2, 3 or 4 players. It is not richly thematic, but will remain challenging for numerous plays.

Another one to look at when it hits the streets (in a week or so) is Great Western Trail. Sure, it is all the buzz right now, but I truly believe the game lives up to the hype. It has several genuine, different strategies to pursue, so each play can feel very different. And it certainly feels unique compared to other games. There is no other good cattle drive game, and Pfister has a knack for pulling together mechanisms to create something fresh and challenging. If you don't like the Western theme, you might take a look at Mombasa instead. It also presents a unique combination of mechanisms that provide fresh challenges with each play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vee the Great
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
The thing we need is never all that hard to find.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our household has many of the same faves as you do! I took a look at your collection, pretty neat!

+1 for The Voyages of Marco Polo, which is excellent and challenging. It has the worker placement mechanic, but with a dose of die throwing (which is nice sometimes and pretty balanced on the whole).

For something different, try:

Android: Netrunner - 2p card game. I know, I know, a TCG? Just get the base game which has enough decks to satisfy a once-in-a-while card game itch. It's very different to other 'battle' TCGs and is strategic with a dose of tension. One of our faves when we get 'euro'd' out.

Mage Knight Board Game - I rate this as one of my most versatile games. Playable from 1-4 players (though it gets long at higher counts. Best with 2 or 3 imo). It has a Euro bent in a game of epic scope and storytelling potential typically very un-Euro. Can be played competitively or co-operatively.

Also it's a worker placement Euro ... but ...

Russian Railroads, which based on your previous tastes I'd say you would enjoy. I found it quite challenging to learn to play it. It's great with 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village is unique in that part of the game centers around your meeples dying naturally and you using subsequent generations to advance the game. When you choose to kill off various members of your family is critical to the strategy of the game and I know of no other euro that does this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Another one to look at when it hits the streets (in a week or so) is Great Western Trail.

CSI had it in stock during their pre-Black Friday sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Trickerion, Bruxelles 1893, Voyages of Marco Polo. All are among my favorites. I would also suggest Burano which had set collection and area majority like many others, but oh man, the brain burn comes in the building of a cube pyramid with action selection through cube placement. Pretty unique and solo good. The Gallerist is also worker placement, but it is a heavier one and has the unique distinction of getting a kicked out action when someone wants your spot. Watch Rahdos Run Through of both to get a feel or Watch It Played on youtube for the Gallerist walkthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple suggestions, but I can't really suggest them for 2 player, so I apologize in advance.

UR - Tile manipulation where your next turn's action is based on this turn's tile you swap. Interesting twist in how it works, board slowly restricts your options.

Concordia - Supposedly this plays well with two, unforuntately I have no experience with two. Actions are chosen from your deck of cards, which you discard when you do the action. It takes an action to retrieve your cards. Same designer as Antike and Navegador both rondel games, and this has a slightly similar feel.

Tigris & Euphrates - tile laying and merging of kingdoms. A classic game where it's important to remember you don't own a kingdom, just a ruler inside the kingdom. Requires some spatial ability.

City Tycoon - Card drafting,, then city building, and then resource management to power things up. Some weird combination of mechanics produce a wonderfully tight and interesting game.

For two or more players:
The Manhattan Project - worker placement, without workers automatically coming back. You need to spend an action to retrieve them. Allows some interesting timing, and combos. But it is a worker placement with a twist, not completely different.

Race for the Galaxy - works great as two player or more. Cards as buildable things, the same cards are used for payment and resources. Not worker placement, simultaneous action choices. If you like a little chaos you can swap this for Glory to Rome, which may look cartoony but works well.

For Two Players:
Blue Moon Legends - Great 2 player only game with asymmetrical card play. Looks simple at first, gets different as you swap decks around. Can build custom decks, NOT a collectable or living card game. Completely self contained. You can play the Kheldon AI version if you want to see what it's like (same for Race for the Galaxy).

That's off the top of my head, awhile back I was buying games to try out different mechanics/mechanisms that I liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Drown wrote:
Tigris & Euphrates - tile laying and merging of kingdoms. A classic game where it's important to remember you don't own a kingdom, just a ruler inside the kingdom. Requires some spatial ability.

Certainly my first idea for something
middls01 wrote:
unique in that they incorporate mechanisms or styles of game play that other games don't have / 2-4 players / 60-90 mins and Medium/Medium Heavy / brain burning feeling one gets when trying to wrap your head around a game that does something you haven't tried before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Susanto
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try "The Gallerist" or "Vinhos", quite heavy, kinda hard to learn, but very neat mechanics (took me 3-4 plays to get all rules right).

Any Vital's game is very dense, might worth checking it out, but mind you it's a higher level of complexity, in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unique Euro? Can't beat Ginkgopolis! Strange unique theme goes with the unique mix of mechanics in the gameplay. Love this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Mombasawith two, and it worked but I don't think it shines. It was however the first game I thought of when I read your post. A lot of brain burning potential.

I'll also throw out New Amsterdamas an option though again it is better at higher player counts. This one has simple mechanics,provides perfect information, and requires a ridiculously tight and tense bidding phase to select your actions for a round.

One of my first brain burners does work with two,and that is Le Havre. I dont think it is near the brain burner that I considered it back then, but it definitely falls into the medium heavy category that you described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Troyes is the game every other dice-allocation game is trying to be. It is the pioneer of the category and it's still the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out The Palaces of Carrara.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not unique but Grand Austria Hotel stands on the shoulders of giants to burn your brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Le Havre and Trajan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this blog. Fantastic weekly blog with lots of insights into games good with 2 players. Mina's Fresh Cardboard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
For something a bit different, how about Mexica. This is a very 'thinky' game. Ultimately, it's an abstract game but the pieces are lovely (in the 2015 Super Meeple printing) and the board looks great after you've build your city.

A couple others for your consideration:

Food Chain Magnate - I've been interested in this for a while but it seems too long and too complicated for any of my co-players. THe game mechanisms seem very distinct from your traditional WP euro.

Kanban: Automotive Revolution - This is a heavy euro with lots going on but the theme it spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists combines deduction and worker placement. The most brain burner game in my collection.

Argent: The Consortium has workers with special abilities, like Red worker can damage other workers, Green workers immune to Red etc.

Dungeon Petz integrates its theme into worker placement brilliantly. Not only managing a pet shop through worker placement, you have to address the pets' needs as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
msg tools
Thanks so much for all of these brilliant suggestions guys - a lot that I hadnt considered previously as well - I very much appreciate you all taking the time to respond!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
middls01 wrote:
Thanks so much for all of these brilliant suggestions guys - a lot that I hadnt considered previously as well - I very much appreciate you all taking the time to respond!

Your welcome, just don't forget to come back and tell us what you ended up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Luna. Very different than any other euro I know. Also Vinhos is great. Have heard the new Vinhos Deluxe Edition is decent enough, but if you want a deep heavy game, you should play the 2010 version (it's included in the deluxe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.