13 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: It's doable with only 2 heroes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
I tried Adventures 1-2-3 and it seem really hard with only 1 or 2 heroes.

Should I tried with more heroes? I play solo and with my GF.

With Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card game, it's almost impossible with only 2 heroes, it's the same things with that game?

What do you suggest for a more "casual experience" with that game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught myself the game, in preparation of teaching my friends. I played 1 character and won the 1st scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had to do 2 a couple of times before we beat it. (Note I do have Dungeon Command monsters added in)

We've had 3 tries at 3 and haven't come close...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkpixel wrote:
I tried Adventures 1-2-3 and it seem really hard with only 1 or 2 heroes.

Should I tried with more heroes? I play solo and with my GF.

With Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card game, it's almost impossible with only 2 heroes, it's the same things with that game?

What do you suggest for a more "casual experience" with that game?

we've done the first two with 2 characters. the 2nd was by the skin of our teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the game gets easier at least until you have three heroes. There is a built-in scaling in the game difficulty, but it is not perfect in my opinion.

The amount of tiles to explore/hero makes the game easier the more heroes you have. This is a big one, as if you get a 12 tile adventure, the two hero group have to survive a minimum of six tiles each (with monsters and possible encounters), but even with a group size of three the number goes down to 4 tiles. Also even though the Villain acts after every hero, its hit points do not increase and a larger party is more likely to have more Daily Attacks to spend on it, so even though its offense scales with the party size, its defenses do not.

To compensate to the other direction, the game has duplicate monsters, area of effect attacks and encounters which might hurt the whole party. Also with larger parties it is more likely that not all heroes are in a good position to explore every round.

So I think that the mechanic that makes the game easier with more heroes is stronger than the opposite effect until at least three heroes. I haven't played enough with four or five to have an opinion about those, if it actually gets harder with those numbers.

To the original question I say that it is doable with two heroes, but it gets easier if you have three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ^finished all the adventure system games with only 2 heroes, so yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do able but hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wish to make the game a little more "Casual", you could house-rule the game so that in order to cancel out one character's particularly nasty Event card, the other character could forfeit any available moves/attacks on their next turn...the character who forfeited movement/attacks would still draw an event card, but the previous Event cancellation wouldn't cost you any XP.

Yes, all quests are "do-able" with 2 characters, but you'll be holding out for some really good rolls and spending lots of XP to cancel Events, even with the house rule I suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely doable with only 2. My wife and I have played this many times together with one hero each, and I've played solo quite a few times controlling 2 heroes.
If you're finding it difficult, here are some strategic and tactical tips to keep in mind:

1. Keep moving - the game will bleed you dry of hit points if you stand still for too long, both with monsters coming after you and encounters. If you explore every turn, there's a good chance you'll get a white arrow and avoid an encounter card but if you don't explore you guarantee an encounter card.

2. Don't worry about killing all the monsters - this is tied to point 1. If you stand around fighting monsters instead of moving and exploring, the game will quickly run you out of HP. Keep your objective in mind, which is usually not to kill all the monsters.

3. Sticking together isn't always the best option - many encounter cards and monsters will attack all heroes on the same tile, so staying close by each other can often be more detrimental than helpful. It may feel a little (a lot to some people here) un-thematic to not be fighting side by side, but it's an important strategic consideration. The way I see it, being on adjacent/diagonal tiles would mean you're not that far apart so you can rush over to help each other if needed so that still feels pretty thematic to me, and you still avoid the problem of all being attacked at once.

4. Don't save your daily powers for the villains if you're getting surrounded by monsters - playing conservatively and saving your best shots for last is typically a bad idea in this game. If you're getting overwhelmed by monsters early on (Legion Devils are the worst for this), use your daily powers to wipe them out. You can't fight the boss if you're dead before he arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
I tend to play solo with two characters. Some folks say three is the sweet spot.

Always try and explore a tile every turn. The Encounter Cards will eat you alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's enough treasures in there to reset used powers, so I agree that using them when needed is better than getting hammered down.

But, it does come down to rolling and luck of the draw. What I have noted is that often with 2 player, one person tends to get most of the kills as happenstance.

I have a house rule that 2 characters in the same room can trade items. It doesn't use an action or anything, but to me it's very in the spirit of the D&D theme.

As I have noted before, it's more fun to lose here and there (or often) than smoke through every adventure.

Challenge is good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2 heroes can work, but I'm one of those who prefers 3 for solo.

If you're looking for a more casual experience for 2, I think the easiest thing to do is take out half or all of the red encounter cards. Those are the ones with an attack roll and damage.

Removing them will give you a couple more turns to get things done. Goes a long way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
I've done all the quests and the campaign with 2 heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.