Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
So, what (if anything) should outgoing President Obama or incoming President Trump do with/to Julian Assange?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Don't do anything....let him sit in the Ecuadoran embassy until he rots or gives himself up for extradition.
61.9% 13
Obama should pardon him before he leaves office.
9.5% 2
Trump should pardon him shortly after he takes the office.
4.8% 1
I don't care if it's Obama or Trump as long as one of them pardons him.
19.0% 4
He should negotiate some kind of trial in the World Court at the Hague (not sure if there's precedent here and it seemed all or nothing, but seemed like it was inclusive).
0.0% 0
Some other option (notes below).
4.8% 1
Voters 21
This poll is now closed.   21 answers
Poll created by Ferretman
Closes: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has he broken any US laws?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
US doesn't need to do anything, and in fact shouldn't. We want to neither encourage his kind of behavior or make a faux-martyr.

Let him sit there and then let the Swedes deal with him.

Edit: On Cates question, he should be tried on any US laws he's been accused of breaking if he shows up here, just no extraordinary means should be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:

Technically yes; Assange is wanted for charges of espionage, conspiracy to commit espionage, theft or conversion of property belonging to the United States government, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and general conspiracy.

I am not sure if he's been formally charged or not (I think not), in which case he could theoretically leave immediately.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Technically yes; Assange is wanted for charges of espionage, conspiracy to commit espionage, theft or conversion of property belonging to the United States government, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and general conspiracy.

I am not sure if he's been formally charged or not (I think not), in which case he could theoretically leave immediately.

Ferret

'Course, the reason he's holed up is the rape charges in Sweden. Obama should ignore him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Ferret

'Course, the reason he's holed up is the rape charges in Sweden. Obama should ignore him.

While he is indeed facing what I believe is investigatory examination for rape charges against Assange, it's the larger espionage charges (if they come to that) that are more likely will out here. Of course possibly he's found guilty of rape and gives him up to Sweden.

I believe he did not leave the embassy for his rape testimony however did he--he did it all via phone/Skype?

Ferret

(EDIT: New fingers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Assange?

Let's talk Snowden.

Pardon him and put him in charge of the NSA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This is a picture of General Cassius Marcellus Clay, radical abolitionist, politician, lawyer, farmer, and Bowie knife fighter. Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leave him be, I say. Leave Snowden alone as well.

Do we charge the police for speeding to catch a suspected criminal? Do we charge police with the same crimes they commit in undercover drug stings?

Let him be found guilty of some charges that have nothing to do with political discourse and for those separate reasons alone. If those separate charges appear to be politically motivated, let Assange file a counter claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Assange?

Let's talk Snowden.

Pardon him and put him in charge of the NSA.

I almost made a two-part quiz, but I figured that would get too complicated so I went with the first guy on the list.

Concur you should set up another poll about Snowden!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Where they make a desert, they call it peace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore him, it's worked so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
I'll go a bit further, I think Assange is a huge pig, but the way to hurt him is to let him rot on his own and deny him the respect he craves.

Bringing him up on treason charges would only make him feel special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
I'll go a bit further, I think Assange is a huge pig, but the way to hurt him is to let him rot on his own and deny him the respect he craves.

Wouldn't be treason against the US - Assange is Australian, not American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Ferret

Ferret do you have a link for the claim that the US is actively searching for Assange on these charges? As far as I am aware the law breaker is Bradley/Chelsea Manning and s/he is arrested. Generally the United States does not pursue those who publish classified information leaked to them - if they did half the journalists would be in jail. The issue has been the subject of Supreme Court cases like the Pentagon Papers and Bartnicki vs. Vopper where the Supreme Court held:

Quote:
“A stranger’s illegal conduct does not suffice to remove the First Amendment shield from a speech about a matter of public concern.”

Certainly congressional research shows that there is a belief Assange could be prosecuted based on the Espionage act and the Computer Fraud and abuse act. However intent must be shown to break the law AND harm to national security (for example publishing agent names) must be shown. Wikileaks for all their annoying grandstanding have - in their own way - attempted to be cautious in what they publish. The fact that it is an embarrassment to the government and has ripped a veil of self-righteousness off some people is neither here nor there.

As long as Assange & Co were not actively assisting Manning in breaking the law and then knowingly publishing damaging information there is little the US will do and there are not any known precedents of a publisher being persecuted for publishing classified information. Particularly if Manning basically bombed Wikileaks with the whole information core dump there is little to reproach Assange for.

I therefore dont buy this whole Assange song and dance that he's afraid to go to Sweden because they might extradite him to the US. The UK is far more liberal in deporting citizens and non-citizens to the US on the vaguest of charges. If the US had wanted Assange he would have been deported by the UK long ago.

Reality is he slept with two women who are best friends of each other and found themselves cheated. They cleverly filed for rape charges under Sweden's very broad definition of that charge and he then martyred himself over the whole case. I dont buy it that the US is behind this whole thing for the simple reason that the Supreme Court would never accept a prosecution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
When does Trump get the nuclear codes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
windsagio wrote:

I agree in part although it's very relevant that while Assange is "rotting" in the embassy the various potential charges in Sweden are become time-barred. Some have already expired and others will if things continue.

I think it's always been more about avoiding those than some nebulous US-based conspiracy. It's just silly to conclude he has a higher extradition risk to the US from Sweden than the UK or Australia, both of which have a much longer tradition of sucking up to the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quid pro quo would dictate a Trump pardon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever either of them do with him, it should involve Barry White playing softly in the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Re: So, what (if anything) should outgoing President Obama or incoming President Trump do with/to Julian Assange?
same as with edward snowden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.