$5.00
$20.00
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing some of the classics lately with my 7 year old. He loves them. He says he likes them better than the new games. I assume he enjoys the challenge and simplicity.

We've been playing Mario 1, 2 and 3.
We're going to try to beat some other series if we have the stamina.
Mega Man (1 - 6),
Ninja Gaiden 1 - 3,
Castlevania 1 - 3.
And I must conquer Cobra Triangle. I plugged away at that game forever as a child and never conquered it.

Some I can still enjoy, others feel like work. I'm impressed with the patience and persistence it took to beat some of these games. I can't imagine doing some of them now. I'm referring to the repetitive losing and starting all over at the beginning of the game.

What have you been playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Is anyone playing and enjoying some classic NES or SNES games lately? Which ones?
"Dibs" ala SNES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is anyone playing and enjoying some classic NES or SNES games lately? Which ones?
I honestly haven't been playing much lately, because of other, more current games. The most recent I played through were Earthworm Jim 1 & 2. One of my main hobbies is making MAME/arcade cabinets and custom joystick controllers and I have a big collection of older games since I like to make sure any game I put in a cabinet using a ROM is one that I own.

I am a big fan of all the Disney, Warner Bros, and Hanna-Barbera games and replay through them regularly. Stuff like...

Animaniacs
Aladdin
Bugs Bunny in Rabbit Rampage
Daffy Duck in Marvin Missions
Flintstones the Treasure of Sierra Madrock
Goof Troop
Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures
The Jungle Book
The Lion King
Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
Mickey Mania - The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse
Road Runners Death Valley Rally
Scooby Doo Mystery
Taz-mania

And so on and so forth. I'm also a fan of most everything Nintendo, most RPGs, and most challenging platformers along the lines of Ninja Gaiden and Prince of Persia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finney
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Castlevania, you should probably give some of the Metroid games a go. The Genre is referred to as Metroidvania for a reason!
On the SNES, I think my most memorable experience is completing Chronotrigger, though that may stretch a 7 Y/O's reading skills. More congruently, I would strongly recommend Yoshi's Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Super Mario 1, 2 and 3.

I like to keep Luigi low on lives and then have him collect lots of hammer brother suits on level 6. Then use a whistle and go back to world 5 and try to finish as many levels as possible with hammer brother suits.

I also like Megaman, particularly Megaman 2 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I've been playing are Secret of Mana for the snes & Tetris 2 on the nes. Just finished playing Young Merlin on snes for about the 4th or 5th time since I bought it new I don't know how many decades ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:
Then use a whistle and go back to world 5 and try to finish as many levels as possible with hammer brother suits.

Nice! I'm not sure if I knew you could warp backwards.

sunshiny wrote:
The games I've been playing are Secret of Mana for the snes & Tetris 2 on the nes. Just finished playing Young Merlin on snes for about the 4th or 5th time since I bought it new I don't know how many decades ago.

I'll have to check out Young Merlin. I've never heard of it. And thanks for reminding me of Secret Mana. I used to play that one a lot. It's on my list. Speaking of which, I have too many lists and too many items on those lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Super Punch-Out!!
NHL '94
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been giving Super Metroid another go around. It's right up there with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in my top 5 all time favorites (Mega Man II holds the top spot). SM and C:SotN are two games that take very different approaches to the same idea. Super Metroid is one of the most tightly and perfectly designed games I've every played. Symphony of the Night throws everything at the screen and sees what sticks. Both masterpieces in their own way.

fFish wrote:
If you like Castlevania, you should probably give some of the Metroid games a go. The Genre is referred to as Metroidvania for a reason!
On the SNES, I think my most memorable experience is completing Chronotrigger, though that may stretch a 7 Y/O's reading skills. More congruently, I would strongly recommend Yoshi's Island.

Metroidvania didn't really get coined until Symphony of the Night used Super Metroid as a template for a goth horror game. Of the NES games, only Castlevania II would (sort of) qualify as a Metroidvania game. I and III are regular platformers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also replayed Final Fantasy VI a few months ago. Still the best in the series. Anybody who says VII is understandably incorrect. Anyone who says X gets an "oh, honey" from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Also replayed Final Fantasy VI a few months ago. Still the best in the series. Anybody who says VII is understandably incorrect. Anyone who says X gets an "oh, honey" from me.

How long did it take you to play through FF6?

I'm looking forward to trying some of these.

Metroid was one of my faves from the NES. I don't know how Super Metroid escaped me. I must play that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

VI is definitely my favorite of those I've played also, although I played it as III back in the day. I remember the first time playing through it and being kind of shocked when

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kefka actually SUCCEEDS at his plan and pretty nearly destroys the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
erak wrote:

How long did it take you to play through FF6?

I'm looking forward to trying some of these.

Metroid was one of my faves from the NES. I don't know how Super Metroid escaped me. I must play that one.

I think it was 30-40 hours. I did lots of dino forest grinding though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
erak wrote:

VI is definitely my favorite of those I've played also, although I played it as III back in the day. I remember the first time playing through it and being kind of shocked when

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kefka actually SUCCEEDS at his plan and pretty nearly destroys the world!

Yup. And it was Sidequest: the RPG from there on out. It's why I lament the casts of each subsequent game getting smaller and smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
erak wrote:
Been giving Super Metroid another go around. It's right up there with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in my top 5 all time favorites (Mega Man II holds the top spot). SM and C:SotN are two games that take very different approaches to the same idea. Super Metroid is one of the most tightly and perfectly designed games I've every played. Symphony of the Night throws everything at the screen and sees what sticks. Both masterpieces in their own way.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'd never played SotN. So a few months ago I dug out Dracula X for the PSP to get to the SotN unlock to finally give that a try. That in itself took awhile. Got a little way into SotN but got sidetracked. Thanks for reminding me to pull the PSP back out of the drawer. (Dracula X/Rondo was pretty interesting too, but definitely old school Castlevania.)

Agreed that SM was a great game. For more of the same, check out the GBA Metroid games (Zero Mission and Fusion) as well as the GBA and DS Castlevania games (those are a little hit or miss).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
erak wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit that I'd never played SotN. So a few months ago I dug out Dracula X for the PSP to get to the SotN unlock to finally give that a try. That in itself took awhile. Got a little way into SotN but got sidetracked. Thanks for reminding me to pull the PSP back out of the drawer. (Dracula X/Rondo was pretty interesting too, but definitely old school Castlevania.)

Agreed that SM was a great game. For more of the same, check out the GBA Metroid games (Zero Mission and Fusion) as well as the GBA and DS Castlevania games (those are a little hit or miss).

I found Fusion so so. There's no need for dialogue in a Metroid game.

Played all the GBA/DS Castlevanias. Portrait of Ruin is my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.