Subject: Dagda's Cauldron rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Yesterday I was playing this awesome game, and we had a disagreement.

The Dagda's Cauldron Epic Tale card says to remove casualties in a clash, put them on the card, and then place up to three of those in the previous location after the clash has finished.

I thought this was pretty clear - the previous location is where the clash just happened, and so they are returned there after the clash. My friend thought that the previous location must mean the location where they originally moved from prior to the clash. In his words, 'Why would they say previous if they didn't mean that? Why wouldn't they just say the location of the clash?'

I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I said I would ask here to settle the argument. I think the real issues is that there are a few poorly worded cards or rules in the game, and that while the translation is good, it could have used another editing pass to ensure conformity of terminology. There are too many 'in the French version it says X' comments on here from the (helpful) Matagot staff.

Anyway, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple: You were right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And consider like this. I used the card when I wasn't the instigator so there wasn't a "previous" location there was just where they came from...which is the clash locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nielsen
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had another question about this card: You can only play this card if the clan that is removed is not your last, correct? (because if it were your last, you are no longer involved in the clash and thus not able to contribute to the clash). Basing that off Christian's wording on the Warlord card when he clarified that you may not play that card in response to a maneuver if your last clan was just removed. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct answer is in Christian's message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nielsen
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm sorry, it is not correct.

The two wordings of Dagda's Cauldron and Warlord are different:
Cauldron says "during a clash when 1 of your clan is removed", so even if you lose your last clan it works: it is during a clash and 1 of your clan is being removed.
Whereas Warlord says "during a clash with you involved, after a manoeuvre is performed" so if you lost your last clan in the previous manoeuvre it is too late, you no longer have exposed clans so you're no longer involved in the clash.

Hope that's clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nielsen
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. That does make sense. Appreciate the clarification--I wasn't reading the trigger text close enough. Thanks for the prompt response and for the phenomenal game, Christian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.