GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,355 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Eliminate Hostiles" Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
badge
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a stupid question, though I will ask nonetheless. The definition of "Eliminate Hostiles" states that Hostiles that start in the objective card must still be killed. Does this include Hostiles that "start" in the card as reinforcements? Or does it mean only Hostiles that started in the objective card when the card was first played?

If the former, this makes the Bridge objective incredibly difficult, since it generates a new reinforcement every turn.

Thanks in advance
D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliminate Hostiles - There must be no Hostile cards in the
Objective at the end of a Soldier Turn. Hostiles that start in
the Objective card must still be Killed, even if they move out
of the Objective card.

If Hostiles Re-enforce to the Objective or move from a location to the objective they must be eliminated.

Holding a bridge was never meant to be easy...

eg Pegasus Bridge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The bridge is really annoying when you have 2 kills and then get 1 suppress and another unit appears and you have to start again. You are praying for a hostile that you can evade from or if desperate "is number was up" skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hint - by the time you get to the bridge:

If you haven't EKIA the Defenders in your soldier turn -

Have your squad LMG on Overwatch cool
Have a player soldier booby trap (triggered) the Objective with a couple of grenades surprise
Have a satchel charge (triggered) just in case an AFV turns up surprise

The above will be an unpleasant welcome for any reinforcement - you then have your next player turn to EKIA any that are left.

Always plan for the Objective and plan that Over Kill happens to your opponent!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Eliminate Hostiles - There must be no Hostile cards in the
Objective at the end of a Soldier Turn. Hostiles that start in
the Objective card must still be Killed, even if they move out
of the Objective card.

If Hostiles Re-enforce to the Objective or move from a location to the objective they must be eliminated.

Holding a bridge was never meant to be easy...

eg Pegasus Bridge

I'm still not sure how "Eliminate Hostiles" works? After you have activated the Objective card, am I correct to think that the only time constraint you have in achieving this Objective is the Mission Timer?

In my 1st Mission, this situation has occurred. The Objective is "Rescue". I plan on placing a "Trenches" location immediately next to the Objective card. This will ensure that when I activate the Rescue, the Hostiles that appear there cannot target anyone in the Trenches (since the Rescue Objective is not in an Elevated position).

It will force everyone to move out of the Objective location into the Trenches. Then I just have to move one of my soldiers who has not been targeted "On Site" into the Objective location & hope that no reinforcements appear during that "Hostile Turn". As long as no Hostiles started the next turn in the Objective location or moved back into that location, would I satisfy the Victory conditions?

The other interpretation I can see is that it doesn't matter if there are any Hostiles that started in the Objective card that turn because all of the "original" Hostiles that appeared on that card must all be killed (no matter where they are located currently & no matter how many turns have elapsed). If this interpretation is correct, then would that also include the Stragglers or others who enter in the Rear-most position (when the Objective is 1st Activated) & never actually set foot on the Rescue Objective itself?

As you can see, I'm confused. Please help me understand how "Eliminate Hostiles" is supposed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not an easy keyword as it requires tracking some hostiles separate to the others.

When the Objective is activated.
All Hostiles drawn as a result of that draw must be eliminated, place a marker on them to indicate that they must be eliminated.
(even if they are not placed in the Objective - eg Stragglers and Harassing Force)

in addition:

All Hostiles that had been*, or are in future, placed in the Objective location must be eliminated, place a marker on them to indicate that they must be eliminated.
(eg a Reinforcement from location 2 that is placed in the foremost, being the objective)

AND

All Hostiles that had be, or are in future, moved into the Objective location must be eliminated, place a marker on them to indicate that they must be eliminated.

This can make the objective very hard and confusing!

ps. As soon as the objective condition is met you end the game, ie if you have eliminated hostiles and are On Site at the end of a players turn - you stop the game *before* the next hostile reinforcement phase.

I played an Eliminate Hostile mission in Russia last night - the initial Objective draw was: Sturmtruppen in Objective (L#4), Ambushers in Location #3 and Stragglers in #1 (mission card) - all of them had to be eliminated and I had to have a soldier On Site. My Player Soldier had to leave a SQS on the objective (after playing Stay Low on it to stop rein that would have needed to be eliminated as well) and head back to Loc#1 as the NPS there with the MG was out of ammo... I made it back in time so that before the timer had reached 0 I had Eliminated Hostiles (as above) and I had a soldier On Site (in the objective location) - it was a nail biter and cold..

If while my PS was moving through location 2 or 3 and a hostile reinforced as a result - and the hostile was not placed in or moved into the objective location - then I would not have needed to eliminate that hostile.

* as you moved through the locations towards the objective - if a mortar team is placed in the objective - that too would need to be eliminated.

Does this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great response. Thank you. Now it's crystal clear in my mind.

In my Mission, I will still lure the Hostiles from the Objective into the Trenches so I can use all the good stuff (i.e explosives, spray & auto attacks) --- since Collateral Damage is not allowed by the Rescue Objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Great Plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.