Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: My "Perfect" Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Macady Smith
msg tools
After quite a few weeks of researching I think I have finally put a list together of board games to get throughout this year and the following year. Im pretty new to board gaming but I do own The Resistance, Ticket to Ride, and Sheriff of Nottingham. My friends love the games I have and my family is a little more reluctant but they are definitely willing to try the games I get. If you think Im missing a game or you think a game doesn't fit please let me know!

1. Pandemic
2. Stone Age (Heard good and bad things about this. If you can suggest a better worker placement please do)
3. King of Tokyo
4. For Sale
5. Coup
6. Bang! The Dice Game (Most likely going to get the Old Saloon with it)
7. Takenoko (Im aware that alot of people don't enjoy this game but it is a for sure on my list)
8. Settlers of Catan
9. Zombie Dice
10. Tsuro of Seas (Heard good and bad things. Honest opinions)
11.Shadows over Camelot
12. Flash Point: Fire Rescue
13. Smallworld
GAMES IM RELUCTANT TO GET
Dominion 2nd edition
Incan Gold
Champions of Midgard
7 Wonders
Jamaica

Suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mac345 wrote:
After quite a few weeks of researching I think I have finally put a list together of board games to get throughout this year and the following year. Im pretty new to board gaming but I do own The Resistance, Ticket to Ride, and Sheriff of Nottingham. My friends love the games I have and my family is a little more reluctant but they are definitely willing to try the games I get. If you think Im missing a game or you think a game doesn't fit please let me know!

1. Pandemic
2. Stone Age (Heard good and bad things about this. If you can suggest a better worker placement please do)
3. King of Tokyo
4. For Sale
5. Coup
7. Takenoko (Im aware that alot of people don't enjoy this game but it is a for sure on my list)
8. Settlers of Catan
9. Zombie Dice
11.Shadows over Camelot
13. Smallworld
Dominion 2nd edition
Incan Gold
Champions of Midgard
7 Wonders
Jamaica

I own/owned all but one of the games you listed. I love Ticket & Sheriff, but not a huge Resistance fan (I prefer One Night Werewolf/Spyfall for that genre). So here is my opinion on your games listed. I'll list an alternative to check out per game.

1. Pandemic - Great first coop game to test the genre. ALT: Forbidden Island
2. Stone Age - Fun, easy to learn lovely game. ALT: Kingsburg
3. King of Tokyo - Essential game in my opinion. ALT: Cash and Guns
4. For Sale - Quick, amazing little filler. ALT: No Thanks!
5. Coup - Never interested me that much. ALT: Spyfall
6. Bang! The Dice Game - Fun little deduction/player powers game. ALT: Citadels
7. Takenoko - Cutesy game my wife and I really enjoy. ALT: Tokaido
8. Settlers of Catan - A staple of board gaming. Essential game again. ALT: Dominion
9. Zombie Dice - Own it and had success with family/friends. ALT: Martian Dice
10. Tsuro of Seas - Never played, but enjoy normal Tsuro. ALT: Tsuro
11.Shadows over Camelot - Love the classic traitor coop game. ALT: Dead of Winter
12. Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Did not like this one, better coops out there for me. ALT: Forbidden Desert
13. Smallworld - Liked this one at first, but after a few plays never really felt like dragging this one out. ALT: Cyclades

Other personal favorites that you may like could be Cosmic Encounter, Lords of Waterdeep, & Airlines Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of games I'd
Orléans - to replace Stone Age. The learning curve might be a bit steeper, but I think it has a lot more longevity.
Istanbul - to replace Settlers, as above.
7 Wonders: Duel - great game to play with your significant other.

I'd also like to suggest Five Tribes and El Grande, but I wouldn't use those as introductory games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
Mac345 wrote:

1. Pandemic
3. King of Tokyo
4. For Sale
5. Coup
8. Settlers of Catan
9. Zombie Dice
11.Shadows over Camelot
13. Smallworld
Dominion 2nd edition
Incan Gold
Champions of Midgard
7 Wonders
Jamaica

I own/owned all but one of the games you listed. I love Ticket & Sheriff, but not a huge Resistance fan (I prefer One Night Werewolf/Spyfall for that genre). So here is my opinion on your games listed. I'll list an alternative to check out per game.

1. Pandemic - Great first coop game to test the genre. ALT: Forbidden Island
2. Stone Age - Fun, easy to learn lovely game. ALT: Kingsburg
3. King of Tokyo - Essential game in my opinion. ALT: Cash and Guns
4. For Sale - Quick, amazing little filler. ALT: No Thanks!
5. Coup - Never interested me that much. ALT: Spyfall
6. Bang! The Dice Game - Fun little deduction/player powers game. ALT: Citadels
7. Takenoko - Cutesy game my wife and I really enjoy. ALT: Tokaido
8. Settlers of Catan - A staple of board gaming. Essential game again. ALT: Dominion
9. Zombie Dice - Own it and had success with family/friends. ALT: Martian Dice
10. Tsuro of Seas - Never played, but enjoy normal Tsuro. ALT: Tsuro
11.Shadows over Camelot - Love the classic traitor coop game. ALT: Dead of Winter
12. Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Did not like this one, better coops out there for me. ALT: Forbidden Desert
13. Smallworld - Liked this one at first, but after a few plays never really felt like dragging this one out. ALT: Cyclades

Other personal favorites that you may like could be Cosmic Encounter, Lords of Waterdeep, & Airlines Europe.

Pretty much agree with a lot of what was said here. I would like to note that Pandemic is deterministic/predictable (you know what cards will most likely keep coming out during infections) and really needs the On the Brink expansion to keep it interesting over multiple plays (and to add challenge/depth after the first couple of plays) while Flash Point: Fire Rescue is more of a random die rolling game where you try to mitigate unpredictable events (but my dismay is their love of Kickstarter exclusive game rule stuff that completionists like I will never be allowed to own - I would really like to save an obese person from a fire, but I didn't even know about kickstarter when that was offered). Additionally, Tsuro of the Sea from what I understand adds a dragon that kills you and I think I'd rather just stick to the pure strategy of the original Tsuro (which was quite popular with both non-gamers and gamers who had a kid and didn't have time for complicated games anymore).

Games not really covered that I think the OP should consider are:

Escape The Curse of the Temple - A couple of imitators, but little like this 10 minute cooperative simultaneous turn dice chucking mad-house of a game... and there doesn't need to be a ton of games like this. Basic rules to start with plus modules to add in that add complexity make this ideal to play with family or as a quick filler to start with.

Bohnanza - A set building game that will be familiar to those who play card games. The twist is your hand is a queue - first in, first out - that you can't rearrange, so it becomes all about negotiating a favorable trade to optimize your hand.

Vivajava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game - Basically a Yahtzee variant that can be easily taught and plays relatively quickly, so good for non-gaming family.

San Juan - This game has gone over well with most of the people I've gamed with, whether family or gamers. Its a slight step up from Bohnanza but not too much.

Splendor - You heard of Candy Crush Saga for smartphones? Yeah, basically one of those "dumb games" (a term that means you need no context to play it, can pick it up and play repeatedly and be engaged, but at any moment can put it down... so "dumb" as in you need no information about the game state, not "dumb" as the game is stupid or its users are stupid) for the boardgaming world. Plays fast, has nice poker chip gem tokens, fairly portable, and has a fairly wide player base. I sort of think this is one of those games you should really consider having in a collection early on.

I'd also recommend checking out the "Tiny Epic _____" family of games for lighter, easier to learn pocket games.

EDIT: As to 7 Wonders, it is a great card drafting game and well worth it, so I'm not sure why the reluctance to get it... but I'd probably go with Seasons instead if you are reluctant to get it as the card drafting is wonderful and the dice drafting is also, but dang are the dice so satisfyingly chunky. An alternative to both of these would be the lighter and faster playing Sushi Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mac345 wrote:

1. Pandemic
3. King of Tokyo
4. For Sale
5. Coup
8. Settlers of Catan
9. Zombie Dice
11.Shadows over Camelot
13. Smallworld
Dominion 2nd edition
Incan Gold
Champions of Midgard
7 Wonders
Jamaica

Just a couple of quick notes:

Don't get Coup unless you also get the Coup: Reformation expansion. Coup is too chancey and "take-that" on its own, but the expansion makes it an excellent, strategic filler.

My wife and I really didn't appreciate King of Tokyo much until we got the King of Tokyo: Power Up! expansion. Without it, every monster is the same. The expansion gives each of them a unique set of abilities and a personality.

Don't let anyone talk you out of Takenoko. It's what Ticket to Ride should have been. In Ticket to Ride, you can get hosed by the cards (and frequently do). In Takenoko, there's only a very small element of that, and you can always work around it.

If you like Pandemic, you should get Forbidden Desert (perhaps instead of Flash Point).

Also, consider Tokaido and Among the Stars (or 7 Wonders, but you seem to have misgivings about it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
Awesome suggestions! Im definetly going to look into 7 Wonders more and few of the other games you suggested. I will look at every expansion. Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.