Hero Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Use ally abilities on Expended Champions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Can you still activate Ally abilities for expended champions?
(This question would also apply to Sacrifice if any future champions are capable of both expend and sacrifice.)

Example: Your hand is Arkus, Imperial Dragon and 4 gold. Play the 5 cards and do not get the +6 to health from the ally bonus. Expend Arkus to add five attack and draw a card; that card is an Imperial Faction card. When that new card is played, will it activate the ally bonus of +6 health on the expended Arkus?

I think the answer is "No" because I believe this is the purpose of the expend card action, which otherwise seems pointless with the cards in the base game.

(Similarly, if a champion could be expended and had a sacrifice ability, could you expend it and then sacrifice it on the same turn? Again, I believe the answer would be "No.")

----------------
For clarification, if the hand was Arkus, an Imperial Faction Recruit, and 3 gold, the ally ability WOULD activate for both Arkus and the Recuit when the cards are played before Arkus is expended. This scenario is not in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only ability limited on the champions are the abilities marked with Expend. Ally and Sacrifice abilities are still usable even while Expended.

If a Champion is Expended by the start of your turn, you may not use the Expend ability without another ability to Prepare the champion, or the end of your turn where you Prepare all your Champions. This allows other players to have abilities to cripple a Champion's main ability without needing to Stun it through an Attack.

(Expansions will take more advantage of the limits of Expend abilities, even if the base game doesn't.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, yes you can most certainly still use the Ally ability. We have been playing the expend abilities as a way to track if you have used the primary (top) ability or not. The only real reason for the expend ability is to make it easier to track if the ability has been used, and allows some other cards to prepare an expended card. If the card is prepared you can expend the top ability a second time for a second use of the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expending has no impact on ally abilities. If it did, it would be clearly stated in the rules.

Currently expending is pretty much solely to show that a champion's expend ability has already been used this turn. There are some effects that prepare a champion, allowing you to expend them multiple times per turn.

When you expend a guard, they don't block damage as they normally would. Currently, again, this isn't very useful, since champions are prepared at the end of the player turn (so guards will always be prepared when the opponent takes their turn), but I guess there might be expansions coming which let you expend opponent guards or something to that effect.

Simo

EDIT: Double-ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
In MTG, you can't use any abilities of a card while that card is tapped unless it says otherwise. I feel like the same principle would apply to expended cards in Hero Realms.

In Star Realms, the order you play your cards matter, and I apply similar logic to HR. So I think it should matter when you decide to expend your champions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
To be clear, I do agree that if you play a champion with an allied card, then yes, you would get the ally ability before you expend the champion, and it still counts even after you expend the champion. Ally abilities are always triggered on prepared champions, and an expended champion would trigger ally abilities on other prepared cards in play.

But I think allied abilities should not trigger on an expended champion if the ally was not in place while the champion was prepared because an expended champion can no longer take an action unless it becomes prepared.

It's very similar to this situation in SR: In a single turn, if you haven't triggered the ally ability on a card that you decide to sacrifice, then you don't get that ally ability at all. Even if later in that same turn, you draw and play a new card that would have triggered the ally ability of the card you sacrificed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well sacrificing is a different thing altogether. If you sacrifice a card, you remove it from play. Cards that are not in play cannot be triggered for their Ally abilities. Naturally, you can use the Ally ability of a card first, gaining its benefit, and then sacrifice the card - you won't lose the gained benefit from the ability. This is possible in Star Realms, too, and is actually addressed in the faq (http://www.starrealms.com/faq/).

But Expending a champion is not the same as sacrificing it. When you expend a Champion, it remains in play, and thus per the rules its Ally ability can still be used.

What you are suggesting is a house rule, and perhaps it would be interesting if you'd formulate it into a variant and suggest it in the Variants forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jthysell wrote:
In MTG, you can't use any abilities of a card while that card is tapped unless it says otherwise. I feel like the same principle would apply to expended cards in Hero Realms.

In Star Realms, the order you play your cards matter, and I apply similar logic to HR. So I think it should matter when you decide to expend your champions.

Mh yes you do unless that ability requires you to tap your creature.

If an ability says Pay 1 life: draw 1 card, and it doesn't have the tap symbol, you can use it whether your creature's tapped or not, has summoning sickness or not, and at any time you could play an instant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the expend action a bit confusing.
How does it work for, say, the "man-at-arms" champion card?
Do you have to expend it to get the two attack power, "+1 more for each other guard you have in play", OR you get the 2 attack power automatically, and the expend refers only to the "+1 for each..."?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
I find the expend action a bit confusing.
How does it work for, say, the "man-at-arms" champion card?
Do you have to expend it to get the two attack power, "+1 more for each other guard you have in play", OR you get the 2 attack power automatically, and the expend refers only to the "+1 for each..."?
Thanks.

It's all part of the expend ability.
1. You get 2 combat
2. You get +1 combat for each OTHER guard you have in play at the moment you expend this champion. If other champions enter the battlefield the same turn at a later moment you won't get the bonus anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.