6 Posts

Inis» Forums » General

Subject: Discovery Scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Kemp
South Africa
flag msg tools
I see the rulebook recommends this "Discovery Scenario" with not only a specific tile layout, but to bury some other tiles to the bottom.

I'm playing my first game with my group tonight, and wondering if you recommend I start with this? Does it simply make for a smoother game? Is it just easier? Why do those specific tiles get put to the bottom where they won't be drawn?

Any insights greatly appreciated, I'm curious about this setup. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm sure you want the advice of other players, and I'm sure you will get some, but please let me take the opportunity to explain the decisions behind the discovery setup.

Inis is not an easy game to grasp. Sure, rules are simple, but the interactions are complex and the game really clicks generally at your second or third game (see comments from 1 game players vs comments from several games players).

In order to ease the discovery of the game we devised this, well, discovery scenario.

So my answer to your question is yes, I recommand to you use it for your first game, because as you guessed it makes for a smoother game.
Concerning the choice of the tiles put at the bottom of the stack, it is to ensure you won't see too many Epic Tales cards and defensive territories.

I hope you'll like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both ways, I wouldn't use the Discovery setup. The Cove allows the chieftain of it to see the hole card, and perhaps use it, which removes some of the fun of play, and the other locations are quite bland.

I don't think it adds any extra cognitive load to play it normally, from the first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kemp
South Africa
flag msg tools
Wow, a reply from the designer! I'm flattered!

Thanks so much for your insights - I was curious about why that particular setup was recommended and am grateful for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

I've played the game once two-player (and was blown away), and think I have a great grasp on the rules now so that's why I was curious about whether or not to use it.

My group are very seasoned gamers so perhaps I'll ask them what they would prefer as well But thanks so much for your reply and explanation, fantastic to know. I notice you've been very active in these forums, which I think is awesome.

Thanks to my fellow gamer who responded as well with a differing opinion - I think you're right in that the simpler, more "bland" territories make things easier, but possibly less exciting? Will have to mull this one over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth using the rules as written for the first play but doesn't make too much difference. They are just simpler territories with the slightly more powerful or game changing ones hidden at the bottom of the stack. It lets you focus on learning the action cards in the first game. The starting territories are important because those advantage cards will get used more in a typical game so having simpler one for the first game helps players get to grips with everything. I found with those starting ones, the valley was generally chosen as the capital and was defended since the extra clan is quite useful. The plains can also be powerful though if you build up a large number of clans on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I particularly mentioned the Cove, because in the games I played with the standard setup, wondering what the hole card was became a really fun aspect. There was lots of peering at your opponents, wondering if they had the Geis or the Druid, or New Alliances, when actually that card was in the hole this turn.

Actually the Cove swiftly became my LEAST favourite location. Even compared to the Swamp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.