BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Tabletop Simulator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Any experiences with this program? Im a solo gamer but this could change with the rise of this software? Are games free to add to the collection once you buy the program? Like for example I want Dominion to play with others, do I have to buy it again if I physically own it? Also how is the community? is it big? do players disconnect if they are losing? Also if my friend owns for example Viticulture module, and I dont own it, can I still play with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Tabletop Simulator has several modules you need to buy to play, but check Steam Workshop and you'll find tons and tons of free popular games. I have no idea about the legal aspect but I suspect publishers are not too happy with it.
Can't talk about the community sicne I don't play with random people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simulator is $20, but, is on sale for $10 all the time. So, I would always wait for a $10 sale.

There is a mix of paid and free content. Some publishers license out their games for official downloads, and you get, for a cost, a digital version of exactly what the physical product looks like.

Only the host of a particular session must own the content. Everyone playing must own tabletop simulator, though.

So, you join my session of Tabletop Simulator, and I decide to put my virtual copy of Zombicide or Scythe on the "table" you and everyone else in the session can play with me at no additional cost.

Also, for most of the content, there is little to no scripting. Meaning it is what it says it is. It is a tabletop simulator, so, you need to know (or be learning) how to play the game and make the moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Forbis
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I bought it at $20 I didn't know that they always cut it to $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futiles wrote:
Also, for most of the content, there is little to no scripting. Meaning it is what it says it is. It is a tabletop simulator, so, you need to know (or be learning) how to play the game and make the moves.

I've had my eye on Tabletop Simulator for a while, but I have a few questions regarding the design/programming angle:

If I have a game I've made, with a wide range of pieces that all interact in different ways, could I recreate it in TS? Does TS have any automation, or is it more a case of each player manually operating and reacting to the game? For example, Joanna draws a card that deals damage to her character - does her HP automatically drop, or will she make that change herself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Ord
United Kingdom
Darlington
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringo_Stalin wrote:
futiles wrote:

I've had my eye on Tabletop Simulator for a while, but I have a few questions regarding the design/programming angle:

If I have a game I've made, with a wide range of pieces that all interact in different ways, could I recreate it in TS? Does TS have any automation, or is it more a case of each player manually operating and reacting to the game? For example, Joanna draws a card that deals damage to her character - does her HP automatically drop, or will she make that change herself?

There is a scripting language you can use but honestly I'm not a programmer and have no idea how much you can do with it.
As far as the base game goes there is absolutely no automation. Just like in real life everything is done by the players which, as far as being a simulator goes, makes a lot of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arteus wrote:
Ringo_Stalin wrote:
futiles wrote:

There is a scripting language you can use but honestly I'm not a programmer and have no idea how much you can do with it.
As far as the base game goes there is absolutely no automation. Just like in real life everything is done by the players which, as far as being a simulator goes, makes a lot of sense.

Arteus is right, there is a level of scripting there, and I have seen some people pull off some neat mechanics, but, I have no idea how easy or intuitive it is to use. I know I have seen some X-Wing/Attack Wing/Armada type games in the workshop with some interesting automation, but, I have not tried to create this myself.

In your example, in many games, Joanna would adjust her HP herself, just as if she were playing the game in the real world, on a real table, with real bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futiles wrote:
It is a tabletop simulator, so, you need to know (or be learning) how to play the game and make the moves.

OK, thanks for the input! That, along with futiles' comment, confirms what I need to know - what I was hoping to do was provide my game, via TS, to some play-testers who don't have the resources to P&P my game and watch how they fare, without my aid/interference. I can still do this to some extent, but I'd need to provide a rulebook (and a hefty FAQ).

Arteus wrote:
Just like in real life everything is done by the players which, as far as being a simulator goes, makes a lot of sense.

That really does help me clarify things! I think I'd overestimated the program somewhat, so it's good to be reminded of exactly what a 'Simulator' aims to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want an interface that has the game logic built in, try board game arena. They seem to focus more on euro games, but the interface is too notch. I like it a lot more than Table Top Sim just because of the ease of use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.