Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a confession to make: Despite RoboRally being one of my favourite games when it first came out (and I was at University), I don't really like it all that much these days. This may be due to a simple factor: I keep losing! However, I suspect it's also due to the sheer unpreditability of proceedings.

Despite all that, I'm happy to join in with my friends - who do really enjoy the game. Hey, I might get lucky and actually win one!

It certainly seemed so in this game - we were playing an quick, introductory scenario because Meg hadn't played RR before - as I got the best starting position and rushed off towards the first flag and, indeed, achieved it before anyone else.

Unfortunately, the problem with rushing off to the lead and the first flag is simple: everyone else is following you, and they're armed with lasers.

I limped towards the second flag, but at the point where I'd sustained seven damage and three locked registers, I decided that now was the point to shut down and recuperate. In the meantime, Meg ended up on a conveyor belt to oblivion, and was forced to respawn at the start.

I was pushed and buffetted in my final turn before the shutdown, but somehow survived. Unfortunately, I shut down very close to the start, with Meg's robot looking me in the eyes. She shot my bot a couple of times when my bot was powered down, before heading off towards the first flag again. Ow!

My next set of cards were supremely awful. I could spend the entire turn in one place, just hitting the wall, or turn left and then rush off over the side of the map into oblivion. I chose the first option for some reason - an allergy to death, obviously!

Meanwhile, Randy and Rich had completed the first two flags. One more to go! I rushed back into the fray, hoping to get to the second flag (and that sustained firepower on the leaders would offer me a chance to win), but it proved a faint hope. Craig had achieved the first flag and actually got an option card - Ramming Gear - but had noone nearby to use it on as Rich sauntered towards the last flag.

However, Rich's last cards were really, really awful. As he rotated on the conveyor belt, hoping to get one move forward that would bring him to a flag, Randy rushed up the side and took the final checkpoint - and the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.