Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordi Picart i Barrot
Andorra
Girona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After nearly eight months in my current job, my coworkers have shown curiosity about the games I receive periodically from my Internet retailer. I usually get my games shipped to my work place in order to make the delivery easier (I spend most of the day at work).

The fact is that they want to try any of these geeky games and I MUST aim carefully for a success: if it is, a new lunchtime group of gamers could be born

But there's a special condition: ALL MY COWORKERS ARE WOMEN!

I've seen all these forum threads about how 'special' gaming with women is. There are thousands of guys asking for recommendations to play with the gf, girls-only threads discussing the games they like... Too much information, too much noise.

So, as always, i turn to my fellow gamers here seeking for advice on the one game to introduce the ladies into the hobby.

Here are the requirements:

- It must play in 20 minutes, 30 tops.
- If possible, it must be portable (I can't storage games in my working place and I would like to have a few options inside the small drawer of my table).
- 3-6 players, best with 4-5.
- It must please the ladies, of course.

You can take a look to my collection if there's anything suitable; if not, I'm willing to buy whatever game would offer warranty od success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
For Sale must surely be a contender? Plays in under 20 minutes and for 3 to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. You own a lot of games. Love Letter & Forbidden Island seem like good choices from your collection. Not my first choice but Guiollitine can probably be played in 20 minutes.

Edit: I see you own Hanabi. That's a great lunch time game.

PS: I'm a woman and I play these games whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
You've got lots of good options, but covering 3 to 6 players is a bit tricky. If you really need that much range in a single game I think your best bet is Parade.

Otherwise:
3 or 4: Love Letter
3 to 5: Abluxxen
5 or 6: Toma 6! (other people will tell you this game plays 3 or 4, but I find it a bit dull with fewer than 5. Chaos is what makes the game).

If you're going to go buy something new my recommendation is TransEuropa or TransAmerica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Viki3m wrote:

Definitely a good recommendation, but it might go over the 30 minutes tops category.

I'd also throw out Vivajava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game as a Yahtzee styled variant that isn't too heavy to learn/play and very portable.

As to OP's original concern, I don't think the focus should be on gender. A lot of posts about girlfriend/wife games really have more to do with "they don't really game and I want something that is good for a beginner but fun for an experienced player" and less to do with "they are female, so I need to find a female game." This doesn't mean that gender isn't an issue ever - a lot of games do have some artwork that portrays women in a questionable way (Boob-plate and bikini armor). However, in many games this isn't an issue (and then there is the issue of ethnic inclusivity and theme).

For a work game, I'd recommend the OP stick to avatar-less games (ones where players don't represent themselves with an actual artwork character) or more abstracts. Bohnanza doesn't have a bean farmer card to portray yourself, and Vivajava has a company disk but doesn't show people per se as an avatar. These lighter quick games might be considered safe.

Oh, games in the collection that I might suggest: Splendor, Carcassonne, Star Realms (with multiple decks), Tiny Epic Galaxies, Empire Engine

Not in the collection that I might suggest: Isle of Trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm a woman and I love wargames so I'd suggest one of those.

Honestly, I'd focus more on things like complexity, scale, time you have, whether they want something tongue-in-cheek or creepy or puzzly or cooperative or competitive, etc. as well as their attention level for learning a game, etc.

As a woman--as well as the mom of two girls--I really don't see how gender matters in terms of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Codenames
Dixit
For Sale
Incan Gold
Coup
Sushi Go Party!
Wits & Wagers
Liar's Dice
Diamonds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit the reaction I've had from non-gamers for this is amazing. Despite having rabbits as score-markers it manages to avoid being the slightest bit geeky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
adm1 wrote:

Honestly, I'd focus more on things like complexity, scale, time you have, whether they want something tongue-in-cheek or creepy or puzzly or cooperative or competitive, etc. as well as their attention level for learning a game, etc.

As a woman--as well as the mom of two girls--I really don't see how gender matters in terms of gaming.

Totally agree. All that really matters is their opinions. I've always enjoyed For Sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Strip-Tease
Strip Poker Dice Game
Titty Grab
Lap Dance

amirite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From your collection:
3-4 Players Biblios
3-5 Players Coloretto
3-5 Players Qwixx
3-5 Players Sushi Go!

I would start with Qwixx it's easy to teach and get non-gamers to play. If they like Qwixx I would suggest picking up either Qwinto or Rolling America.

Other suggestions:
The Grizzled if you like co-op
Loot N Run is a fun quick press your luck and bluffing game.
No Thanks! is one my favorite small games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the perfect justification to buy Love Letter Premium. The production is stupendous and it plays up to eight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zany Penguins

Best with four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7, Dominion, or 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20 minutes cuts down on things -- Quixx is good, I think, Rolling America might be another one.

Red 7 is a great game but confusing to non-gamers until they "get it."

Maybe Thieves! would be a good choice. Except it's at work, not sure about the theme...

Coup could work too, but it involves lying/bluffing so I don't know how that would go with co-workers.

Straw is a nice little game that plays quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Most of the women in my gg like word and card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Picart i Barrot
Andorra
Girona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a lot of recommendations. Thank you guys (and ladies!), specially those who have taken a look to my collection

Budapest wrote:
Wow. You own a lot of games. Love Letter & Forbidden Island seem like good choices from your collection. Not my first choice but Guiollitine can probably be played in 20 minutes.

Edit: I see you own Hanabi. That's a great lunch time game.

PS: I'm a woman and I play these games whistle

I'll try your suggestions because Love Letter was what came first to my mind. I must say that I don't like very much Forbidden Island but I've seen it mentioned often in threads about women and gaming, so I assume there's something that makes it so popular. I haven't tried Hanabi out of my gaming group, so I didn't think about it at first; good suggestion.

Viki3m wrote:

I agree about Bohnanza; it's one of my favourites with beginners, but it can take ages to play...

Mac345 wrote:
adm1 wrote:

Totally agree. All that really matters is their opinions. I've always enjoyed For Sale.

Let me explain myself about this gender issue, I want to take the risk even with my poor English:

I agree that I could have asked about games with beginners, but there are already tons of threads about it. I made a search, but I wasn't pleased with what I found; it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

On the other side, there are all the threads about women and gaming. That's closer to what I need, but still. It is great to verify that there are plenty of geek girls around and I have very good friends (women) that like to play heavy games. This is not the case.

Finally, there are the threads discussing games with gf. As I see it, most of them are guys trying to play Pax Porfiriana or Twilight Struggle with a poor girl that loves Uno. And I don't imply anything other than a difference of taste here; I imagine there must be couples in the opposite sense: she loves the hobby and he doesn't care.

So I simply chose the easier and shorter way to describe it. Since I haven't played with my coworkers before, I have to guess their tastes and my only intention was to get multiple points of view, as I got.

Splendor would be a very good choice. I'll have to put it in a bag, the box is really huge for its content. I don't see my fellow workers loving very much space games like Star Realms or TEG. May be later on. I take also the suggestion for Biblios. I don't know Zany Penguins...

And finally: Isle of trains is in my collection. Two decks. I *LOVE* it. That would be also a good choice. I wish.

Thanks again for your time and kindness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For up to 6 players, Parade can be a fun introduction to the hobby, and it doesn't take too long to play.

For a little more strategy, San Juan (second edition) is good.

If your co-workers prefer games with a bit of luck mixed in, Machi Koro might appeal to them. I've played that game with co-workers and we have a lot of laughs with that one, even though it's not one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:

Your attempt at humour could be perceived as misogynistic, and even if that wasn't your intent, it really isn't appropriate in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf if you are at least 5 (or even more)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.