$35.00
Sean Golyer
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Check out my band: Oak Pantheon
mbmbmbmbmb
Question is in the subject. I see no rules that fatigued units cannot be used as a "lead" unit in a Maneuver Combat defense if other un-Fatigued units are available (correct me if I'm wrong). If the result of such a combat was "BF1" for example, both lead units on each side incur Fatigue. Does this mean that nothing happens/changes to the defending fatigued unit? Or does the fatigue get distributed to a different defending unit in the hex (if one exists)? Or does the "Additional Fatigue" rule kick in (IE: step loss), even if there are other un-Fatigued units in the defending hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Re: Can a Fatigued unit "lead" in a defending hex?
Rule 2.6.1 wrote:
When an F# result occurs, the player whose unit(s) is
(are) affected extracts any other losses called for by the combat result, then places a Fatigue marker on top of the number of surviving previously unfatigued units indicated by the numbered result.

So a previously unfatigued unit must be fatigued first.

Rule 2.6.4 wrote:
Their fatigued status causes adverse DRMs in both types of combat but does not keep them from being counted for highest efficiency in their stack.

They can be the lead unit. If unfatigued, the lead unit takes the first fatigued result if it survives any step loses. If fatigued, 2.6.1 kicks in and another unit takes the fatigue result. If no other unit can take the fatigue result, 2.6.2 kicks in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Golyer
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can a Fatigued unit "lead" in a defending hex?
revnye wrote:
Rule 2.6.1 wrote:
When an F# result occurs, the player whose unit(s) is
(are) affected extracts any other losses called for by the combat result, then places a Fatigue marker on top of the number of surviving previously unfatigued units indicated by the numbered result.

So a previously unfatigued unit must be fatigued first.

Rule 2.6.4 wrote:
Their fatigued status causes adverse DRMs in both types of combat but does not keep them from being counted for highest efficiency in their stack.

They can be the lead unit. If unfatigued, the lead unit takes the first fatigued result if it survives any step loses. If fatigued, 2.6.1 kicks in and another unit takes the fatigue result. If no other unit can take the fatigue result, 2.6.2 kicks in.

The counter argument/conflict with "Rule 2.6.1" is the BF Rule on the Maneuver Combat Table.

"BF: Both sides Fatigue their lead unit (only) and remain in place"

Which is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the issue. There's a slight hole there with respect to lead units vs. all units being Fatigued which you seem to have fallen through.

First, a Fatigued defender can, but probably shouldn't, be used as the lead unit.

Since 2.6.1 explicitly states that the "lead unit in a Maneuver Combat must be Fatigued first", a BF1 should result in a defending lead unit, if already Fatigued, taking a step loss as if 2.6.2 applied.

I will amend 2.6.2 to read "If the lead unit or all units in a hex..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess I can see that, as it will keep players from using fatigued units preferentially as their lead unit in defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Golyer
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
I see the issue. There's a slight hole there with respect to lead units vs. all units being Fatigued which you seem to have fallen through.

First, a Fatigued defender can, but probably shouldn't, be used as the lead unit.

Since 2.6.1 explicitly states that the "lead unit in a Maneuver Combat must be Fatigued first", a BF1 should result in a defending lead unit, if already Fatigued, taking a step loss as if 2.6.2 applied.

I will amend 2.6.2 to read "If the lead unit or all units in a hex..."

Thanks for the clarification! I'm used to seeing the "defender's advantage" angle and was prepared to accept that, but thought this specific situation was slightly game-y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.