Popular Tags: [View All]
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My pre-game occupation card was the Shepherd, meaning that at some point during the game I'd be wanting to do a bit of sheep breeding in order to claim a couple of bonus tiles.

I hadn't dared to attempt an additional island board in my first couple of learning games with other players, but I felt convinced that any significant improvement in my score was going to require that.

Likewise, I had never gone a-pillaging in my learning games, but I'd been thinking it over and had come to the conclusion that Pillaging might be the best bargain on the table. A one-time outlay for a longship and three bits of coal which could then be used multiple times to obtain large tiles not needing color promotion? What's the downside to that?

Before I had the coal to fill it for optimal Pillaging, I went Raiding once with my longship, and with a good roll and lots of stone to spend found myself with enough points to claim the "throwing axe," the 9-square grey tile with the stair-step shape. I looked over the islands available for exploration and decided I could use that to make a good start on Iceland. Thence to Iceland.

One of the good reasons for working an exploration board is that it's fewer tiles to boost your once-per-round income in the early stages there than on your main home board. Another is the opportunity to get additional bonuses from surrounded spaces. With a longhouse there are also tempting bonus opportunities -- plus the interesting quality that it can be filled with red and orange tiles -- and when I drew an occupation card which would grant me a free round of bonus payoffs from the longhouse, that tipped me over into giving it a try. I did get bonus tiles from the longhouse three or four times (and ultimately filled in all but one of its -1 spaces without any green or blue), but ironically I wound up never playing the occupation card that would have given me extra.

I'd had good results with animal breeding in my learning games, and since I was holding the Shepherd, I definitely wanted to get into sheep. In the second round I went to the four-Viking column to get a sheep and a cow at the same time. I got another sheep the next round and started breeding, but I never did get another cow. I never got around to promoting the sheep, but the cow eventually turned into my one big blue tile for my home board. I did go back to the four-Viking column to get 2 buckets of milk from that cow along with a square of wool, a 2x3 blue tile, and a coin.

My only other trip to the four-Viking column was to the space below that, picking up 4 silver while turning a 4-green into a 9-green and a 3-blue into an 8-blue.

I never possessed a whaling boat, but I did go Hunting Game and Laying a Snare a couple of times each. My one hunting failure during the course of the game was a Snare attempt where I rolled a 7, a 6, and an 8.

At different moments I paid cash for a knarr and a longship. That seems a better deal to me -- after all, they're worth the points you pay for them -- than spending wood and Vikings that you could be using for other actions. What I had in mind was to emigrate with them early, thus decreasing the cost of the feast, but what with one thing and another, it wasn't until the final round that I flipped them both. Meanwhile I used the knarr once for promoting a clutch of green tiles to blue and once in the three-Viking column to buy two grey tiles (almost as fine a bargain as Pillaging). I used the longship once for Raiding and three times for Pillaging.

I'd been thinking it seems essential to take the 13-point play with Emigration for every ship you own before game end, but when you take into consideration that the cash cost is 7 in the last round, it's really more like a 6-point play. So I'm going to ponder whether I've got other plays worth more than 6 before I rush into that again.

The last action of the game came down to one Viking going crafting for a 2-blue and a coin. Then came the final puzzle of filling in the boards, and I was able to complete both my home board and Iceland for maximum income and no minuses. I had 8 tiles left over, mostly orange 2x2, so I feel like with a little more color promotion I could have turned a profit on a stone house or possibly even a second island.

39 for Emigrated ships
16 for Iceland
16 for Longhouse (17 - 1)
08 for Wood and Stone Hut
08 for Sheep
05 for Occupation cards
03 for Silver
26 for final income

Nice palindromic total of 121.

Picture's not worth much unless you enlarge it for detail, but it's there if you care to.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy your games.

Stven Carlberg
November 2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy en Stoj
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice game! I only got 82 points in my first solo game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wimbush
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice post. I had the same problem remembering to pick up cards and actually pay for things in solo.

It looks like you have placed about 30 coins on your boards so best make sure you aren't taking income and counting final income in scoring. It's meant to be one or the other. I just cross that row through on the score sheet to keep things clear.

I know what you mean with the emigration dilemma as to whether you use a 3 viking move to do something else like 2 mead and 2 coins for the feast and flip a couple of tiles instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Well, I've been doing the scoring correctly on the final income, but I found out I did have one rule wrong, and that was about the requirement to fill in ALL EIGHT of the spaces surrounding a bonus space in order to collect at bonus time. I'd been playing that it wasn't necessary to fill in the diagonally adjacent spaces. So I expect that to have an impact on my scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.