A Feast for Odin» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My first Feast for Odin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also received this game yesterday. Punching out took some time for sure, but I could not resist trying it out rightaway. I got pretty straightforward starting occupation:

137a Melee Fighter (Each time you take a “Raiding” or “Pillaging” action (on an action space or via an occupation), you can use spears instead of long swords.)

so with a little trepidation I focused on dice chucking. Bought me some nice ship and set sail. 1st raid was a --- failure! Got a bit scared about all this dice business but shook away my fears and plunged head on again! And --- I had a blast playing this.
Score:
Ships 16
Emigration 18
Exploration 20 -- Faroe & Iceland
Houses 0
Cattle 0
Occupations 6
Silver 0
Income 30
Crown 2
POSITIVE 92
NEGATIVE 0
TOTAL 92

After game I analysed my "low" score. What could have been done better?
* I was very weary to use 4-viking actions. Seemed too expensive. But because of that I ended up with only 2 occupations played & pack of cards in my hand [not that these seemed that amazing]. Need to be more bold!
* On the similar note, sometimes I chose 2 super cheap actions only to see that I could have taken a similar 3/4-viking action that somehow combined them. Action board needs more ogling on, for sure!
* I think I feared negatives too much. Ended up covering all but that kept me wondering if I should not have taken extra island / shed, i.e. if two partially covered boards are better than one fully covered.
* Should pick my exploration more carefully. Explored 2 islands fully [I should have chosen more wisely, though as it was worth only 20 pts in the end. At least I was getting all these nice bonuses -- I think I covered only one of them - and it was round 6 or 7].

Conclusion

Sooo many questions!

Sooo many thing to discover!

It goes without saying that because of the above stated and also because the gameplay is actually FUN [when compared with my experiences with Agricola, a game forever written in my memory as the one most successful in beating me mentally down - and I am fan of Robinson Crusoe!] I am super happy with this purchase.

Let's get those B&C decks out of that shrink-wrap!

Thanks for taking time to read this, have a wonderful day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Helena. I must admit that I own Feast for Odin but have not yet punched out the components. I love Ora et Labora and Merkator, liked Fields of Arle (although I need to play it more) and thought Agricola and La Havre were okay. Feast for Odin just looks like a beast by comparison, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Rory!
Uwe is a great designer for sure! I love his Bohnanza, but Agricola was a miss for me. Granted, I played the oldest version - shuffling 2 cards and no animeeples - and it was at the beginning of my boardgaming mania, so I was equally overwhelmed and underwhelmed. Feast is a completely different beast and I also love the puzzling element of it [I also have Cottage garden for less meaty family playing].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.