BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games suitable for a teacher. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Hi there

I have a female friend who is a teacher and I have managed to get her playing Dominion over the years but had little luck with other games.

I like thinky games but she says after a hard days work she just wants to enjoy a game without too much thinking.

I have already bought her Indigo for Christmas this year but would appreciate your advice on other suitable games.

Her area of expertise is maths.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
A female teacher friend huh?

Anyways try Ascension if she liked Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

Was a friend, then more, blew my chance and back as a friend again.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert241167 wrote:

Hi there

I have a female friend who is a teacher and I have managed to get her playing Dominion over the years but had little luck with other games.

I like thinky games but she says after a hard days work she just wants to enjoy a game without too much thinking.

I have already bought her Indigo for Christmas this year but would appreciate your advice on other suitable games.

Her area of expertise is maths.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

It's a bit tough to advise without some frame of reference (do you know of any games other than Dominion she likes?). Not too "thinky" and still in print, are:

World's Fair 1893
Dice City (probably best with 2 players, in my opinion)
Splendor
Potion Explosion
Kingsburg
Cacao
Traders Of Osaka

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

She liked Splendor and Patchwork as well as Blokus but I was thinking of a maths-type game that would interest her.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is "mathy" and "thinky" but I'll assume she wouldn't like it. I'm not so sure defining a "game type" based off of her occupation is the way to go.

That said, if I were you I would steer clear of "are control" type games....
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players? Longer or shorter games?

A lot of smaller card games and gateway games aren't all that thinky. maybe Love Letter or Sushi Go! (she can add up all the scores!) would be good. Forbidden Island has a bit more thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it for the first time last night, I'd also suggest A Game of Thrones: Hand of the King - it's a bit like a logic puzzle, so if she likes doing maths-y stuff out of work time*, it might tickle her interest. It seems to work well with 2 (or with 4 as 2 teams).

* And it seems a lot of mathematicians do. I had a friend who would sit doing maths problems as an evening's recreational activity after a day of crunching numbers at work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.