BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for a teacher. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Hi there

I have a female friend who is a teacher and I have managed to get her playing Dominion over the years but had little luck with other games.

I like thinky games but she says after a hard days work she just wants to enjoy a game without too much thinking.

I have already bought her Indigo for Christmas this year but would appreciate your advice on other suitable games.

Her area of expertise is maths.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

P.S. Sorry but posted this in General forum first before realising this forum is the right place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
After a hard days work doesn't want to think too much? I'd suggest lighter games like:

Castle Panic - a cooperative tower siege game (you know, like the old flash games on the internet where you sit in the center and shoot things coming at you). Pretty light game that can get more challenging as you add one of the two... er, sorry, now three expansions or some of the various promos. The base game is really a lighter family game good to play with kids, but the expansions bring it up to acceptable hobbyist gamer levels.

San Juan - Essentially Puerto Rico the card game. Not too difficult: select an action role, get a bonus doing it if you selected it, build 12 buildings with special powers to end the game, building are paid for with cards in your hand where 1 card = 1 gold, 7 card hand limit between turns. Works well at 2, plays up to 4.

Tsuro - very light 2 to 8 player game where you play a tile and follow the path and your goal is to "not fall off the board" (as my wife likes to say). Yup, that's it - be the last one on the board and you win. Very light, not too think-y, and plays fast.

Vivajava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game - Basically Yahtzee variant where you get special powers (reroll dice, block a power, add one pip to a die, etc) and you play until someone hits 21 points. Not too hard of a game and easy to learn.

Village in a Box - This is an incredibly light set building game from a print-on-demand manufacturer (The Game Crafter). You get six cards and play all you can, discard down to 2 cards, draw 6 more, repeat until someone scores 20 points to win the round. You get points by "building up" to higher value cards. For example: play 1 hut card (0 points) and 1 woods card (0 points) and you can then use those to play a Lodge card (requires 1 hut and 1 wood card, 2 points).

So here we have 2 small box card games, a dice game, a competitive board game, and a cooperative board game all in the lighter "I don't want to think" category. I'd say San Juan might be the most likely to succeed here as it is an tableau engine building game and in the same vein as Dominion. Anyway, that's the best I can do without knowing what you tried and what she likes about Dominion and didn't like about the other games you tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

She liked Splendor and Patchwork as well as Blokus but I was thinking of a maths-type game that would interest her.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly Lost Cities, which implements some basic math concepts and is fairly light. It can grind the gears a little bit, but if she enjoys math then she might like it. Though, is it possible that she won't want to play math related games after teaching it all day (assuming she is a math teacher)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a teacher myself and have been attending an advanced training weekend with my teaching staff lately. I took some boardgames with me and everyone was crazy about Codenames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for Queen's Architect, which is on sale right now on Amazon US for I think $24 (sale may be over). Good game, the biggest objection is it's too much math!

Not sure if it would be too heavy. Also check out Dr. Finn's games, they are filler length but have good depth. Institute of Magical Arts, Biblios Dice, Biblios, Butterfly Garden.

Anything by Reiner Knizia is going to be a lot of mathy scoring. You have Indigo but try some of his other titles, like Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Thanks April, Lost Cities has potential so bought it on here for £15.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert241167 wrote:
she says after a hard days work she just wants to enjoy a game without too much thinking .....
Her area of expertise is maths.

If she just wants a fun, lighter game to relax with why is it necessary to bring math into it? I mean just because math is her specialty doesn't mean it's the only thing she's interested in.* For all we know, Cottage Garden with its wheelbarrows, colorful plants and curled up kittens alongside a relaxing cup of tea is just the thing to make her smile.

*Unless of course she asked for a mathy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.