Subject: Solo Card Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Pearce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for a solo card game experience. I've got LoTR gathering dust which i'll try (core only) and Warfighter.

Looking fir a challenge and plenty to do. Deckbuilding is good.

Whats the best ?

many thanks

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't recommend LOTR highly enough, but other than that you might be interested in looking at Friday if you haven't already. Excellent solo deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is good, though it does not involved deck building.

You might also be interested in this GeekList I created:

Solo Collectible Card Games

Mythos and Middle-Earth are particularly good solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Prester John wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for a solo card game experience. I've got LoTR gathering dust which i'll try (core only) and Warfighter.

Looking fir a challenge and plenty to do. Deckbuilding is good.

Whats the best ?

many thanks

Steve

Onirim (second edition) is probably the best you'll get for your money.

Sylvion and Hostage Negotiator both have deckbuilding elements to them.

These are good starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror: The Card Game seems like an obvious choice. I think it's better designed for the solo experience than LotR. Sans Alliés also seems quite good after a few plays. And Black Orchestra is a lot of fun solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Friday. Great solo deckbuilding game.

I would also strongly recommend Peloponnes Card Game that, although not deckbuilding, is probably the most replayable solo game I've tried so far. Definitely a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
It depends on what you consider a card game and what you consider solo.

Pax Pamir with Khyber Knives is technically a card game - but you have some wooden bits to represent units (tribesmen, spies, armies, secured roads/traderoutes) and 6 cards make up a map, and the expansion adds solo rules (or you can find them on the Box of Delights website). It all fits into a box the size of The Grizzled and has some excellent gameplay (in my opinion). Better yet, you can bust it out with up to 5 people when the opportunity presents itself. Others from Sierra Madre Games that I enjoy playing solo but are cards + some bits include Bios Genesis, Pax Porfiriana, and Neanderthal (Greenland doesn't really work as a solo or cooperative game, its better as a competitive game). All of these games play different solo (or play like a cooperative variant of the game), but the difference in play isn't drastically different from competitive play.

Also in this category of cards-make-a-board plus a handful of bits is Leaving Earth, a great game about the early space race by the independent company Lumenaris. However, it really is a game of logistics and a bit math-y for many. Its not heavy math, but you often have to crunch numbers using addition then multiplication as you figure out mass times difficulty of the maneuver to see how much thrust you need, then go through a series of calculations as most rockets are "burned up" after providing thrust and thus your rocket mass goes down. (Example: Earth surface to orbit is difficulty 8, so most things can't get there in one shot... but Earth Surface to suborbital flight is 3 and suborbital flight to orbit is 5, so a two stage rocket might work better as you "boost" into suborbit and dump some mass then use a larger rocket to finish your burn into orbit. Once in orbit, most things are not as difficult for the inner system, but you also have to consider how you are going to land and/or get back to Earth if needed... capsules, crews, food supplies, sensor probes, and so on all have to be accounted for in your rocket build.) Two things make this game interesting to me (beyond the logistical planning): 1) you research a technology for 10 million (getting 1 or 3 outcome cards on it that you can spend money to remove and "perfect" the technology) and then get to buy actual rockets/capsules/etc, and 2) your fixed use-it-or-lose-it budget (your respective government gives you a budget of $25 million a year, but unlike the real world if you don't spend it all you merely give back the money but don't have your budget slashed). Overall, a great little card game in a box... if you consider it a card game.

Finally, I enjoy playing the 2 player game Pillars of the Earth Builders Duel solo. Again, a bit of a hybrid vs true card game. You have one person building a castle and one building a cathedral (if you are familiar with the Ken Follett book), a few resource tokens, action tokens, money tokens, and seal tokens that you "flip" to exert influence. However, the gameplay is in the worker placement over 12 rounds on a 3x3 card layout board. You have a 27 card A deck and a 27 card B deck, you cycle through 3 turns of A then B then A again then B again. Complete your building and you win, otherwise most completed wins (or most money in a tie). No hidden information, so it works great as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're not adverse to the idea of playing two hands at once, I'd recommend Shadowrun: Crossfire. Definitely a challenge, and tons of replayability. It's a deckbuilder with a sort of campaign system. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pearce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With a couple of mentions i think i'll dust off lotr and see how that works out.

Lots of nice suggestions, i'll work my way through the reviews and see whats available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Friday. And also Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
+1 Arkham Horror: The Card Game
+1 Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.