7 Posts

7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Sanctuary vs Temple of Artemis - striking imbalance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niilaz
Finland
flag msg tools
In 7 wonders not one wonder is universally better than the other. Usually every wonder has its use, although some might be more situational than the other. Based on this experience it's weird to see such an obvious imbalance between the Sanctuary and the Temple of Artemis. Is there any situation where the Sanctuary would be more useful? What is the design that I miss here? Let's see:

- Cost roughly the same.
- Temple of Artemis instantly nets you 12 coins which can be used not only for divinities but other actions too.
- At most, Sanctuary could net you 12 coins if you were to buy all the divinities. This is very unlikely scenario, while 2-4 divinities (4-8 coins) seems more realistic.
- To fully benefit from Sanctuary discount you should build it near the end of age I or near the beginning of age II. At this point of the game, it might be expensive. It could also be inefficient: based on my anecdotal experience the best timing for new turn wonders are usually late age II and early-mid age III where you need those crucial red/green picks.

Is there something that I am missing here? Is it that Temple of Artemis is just so good or does Sanctuary overall feel lackluster? Both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One difference you are missing is that you can't loose the coins from the Sanctuary. But overall I agree, ToA seems the better wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niilaz
Finland
flag msg tools
flott wrote:
One difference you are missing is that you can't loose the coins from the Sanctuary. But overall I agree, ToA seems the better wonder.

Good catch! Sanctuary is better protected. Still I kind of feel that Sanctuary could have deserved a little VP bonus (say 3) similiar to Piraeus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Rezac
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the major difference between the Temple of Artemis and Sanctuary is normally ToA is picked first and Sanctuary is picked 3rd or last when picking wonders. Basically, Sanctuary is a late round free turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nov
Israel
flag msg tools
there is also some imbalance in comparing gods and wonders.
for example:
the pyramids and the colossus costs roughly the same, but the pyramids has the same effect as a god (Aphrodite) and the colossus the effect of god (Mars) + 3 victory points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niilaz
Finland
flag msg tools
tomnov wrote:
there is also some imbalance in comparing gods and wonders.
for example:
the pyramids and the colossus costs roughly the same, but the pyramids has the same effect as a god (Aphrodite) and the colossus the effect of god (Mars) + 3 victory points

This is indeed true. The general line of thought seems to be that divinities are somewhat weaker versions of the corresponding wonders (Enki vs Library, Hades vs Mausoleum, Mars vs Colossus, Tanit vs Temple of Artemis, Baal vs Maximus/Statue of Zeus). Following this pattern, Aphrodite should net more like 7VP instead of 9.

Maybe the devs wanted to buff blue strategy? Aphrodite, after all, is the only divinity that doesn't benefit you until the end of the game. She has had quite an effect in our metagame that tends to play around the red/green victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Niilaz wrote:
Following this pattern, Aphrodite should net more like 7VP instead of 9.

Maybe the devs wanted to buff blue strategy? Aphrodite, after all, is the only divinity that doesn't benefit you until the end of the game. She has had quite an effect in our metagame that tends to play around the red/green victory.

You've answered yourself, why your suggestion of 7 pts. for Aphrodite wouldn't work that well. The gods are weaker than wonders and usually stronger than single (blue) cards by intention. The latter is not true for green/red for obvious reasons I think - it's just more possibilities for alternate victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.