Subject: Tech strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This thread is intended as an open discussion for everyone who feels like sharing. Do you have any favorite strategies when purchasing techs? Which strategies has worked best and which didn't work at all? Do you follow colors or cherry pick specific ones? Which colors worked best/worst?
How does the different nations affect your tech strategy?
Let's just have a big friendly open discussion about the techs and their possible strategies.
I'll start off with a revelation from my last game. I started off doing something I'd never have done under normal circumstances. I purchased Anatomy as my first tech and soon there after Library. The worst part was... It actually worked out pretty ok. This left me sort of disillusioned and wondering how important the techs really are or if it's all about the numbers? I've got a big game coming up this Xmas and I want to come up with something fresh, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Iversen
msg tools
I love yellow. Mostly because they are so cool, literally just stealing tokens and cities from people, with no effort? Amazing! Or just destroying them, if you're into that.

Enlightenment is a marvelous card, it's not extremely expensive, but offers 4 (!) calamity reliving effects. One of my go to's. Aside from yellow it really depends on which Civ I'm playing. Minoa 100% needs agriculture, and Egypt/Indus need Engineering. The ones that only give you points off are also good to get, especially early in the game. Metalworking is good to have if your neighbours are aggressive, or just as self-defence.

Good luck on your game! I played a very short hour game on saturday, I won and was doing really well as Indus, so I'd love to play more... We were only 6 players though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of my games, I've focused on orange techs. Agriculture is incredibly useful for nearly every civilization, and you can't go wrong with Metalworking or Engineering. Clothmaking can be a nice bonus for some nations as well.

I've tried going blue once, but found it generally to be pretty subpar. The low level techs mostly do nothing but calamity mitigation, and not very good calamity mitigation at that. Architecture is good, but generally I felt that diving deeply into blue felt like it took too long to pay off. That's a sample size of one game, though, and lots of other things didn't favor me in that game, so I wouldn't say authoritatively that it's too weak.

I've never tried it, but I've seen people go deep into green successfully. Medicine and coinage are great and not too expensive.

The one thing I'd suggest against is focusing much on the benefits of the six-point techs when doing color evaluations. Though they are all incredibly powerful, they're so expensive that you need to have a good round of trading and a healthy amount of credits to get them. By the time that happens, it's too late in the game to make much of a difference. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to focus on, say, Wonder of the World, and I got it just in time to use it for a round or two before the game ended. Not to say that purchasing 6 pointers isn't worth it -- you'll need the points at the end, after all. It's just that the ability of that 1 pt or 3 pt tech that you have for most of the game will have much more impact than your fancy 6 pter that you use only twice.

Oh, and also, I much prefer the advanced AST -- it forces players to diversify much more, and play the deep dive into a single color less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've done orange, green, red and blue without any issues. I've started with lots of 1VP techs as well as 6VP techs and both works.
If anything I tend to start thinking of a specific strategy and then shape my tech development around that strategy. I might not be winning every game but I'm usually up there at least competing for the win.
Some nations really need agriculture early but I've managed to play them fairly ok without for most of the game.
Calamities are usually distributed fairly evenly and most players will get hit hard at least once per game, so you gain get by reasonably ok without all the mitigating techs.
It seems like the game really is well balanced. And although that is a good thing I can't help wondering if I'm missing something.
But then again, thinking about it, maybe the blues do give a slower start? They are slightly more pricey and maybe it's enough to slow you down a little, it can be a tight squeeze at times. Orange must be the most common start? Yellow feels expensive to me for some reason and discounts seem to build up slowly, maybe it's just my play style? We all have techs we like and some techs we can do without?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Pfeffer
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blue techs make your people happy and that's good against everything with with "Civil " in it's name. And i fear that Civil stuff. The better your game goes, the harder they hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.