BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Descent 2ed vs Zombcide black plague rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zoltan kazmer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there,
i'm a long time member lurking in the forums, but today is my first time to post I started to go deeper into board games aprox two years ago and went down the same road as many of you here on BGG. As of today I've put together a quite nice collection IMHO whistle

So to the bone I'm interested a dungeon crawl a game that is similar in feel to Diablo 3 and I'm torn between Descent 2e and Zombicide Black plague. I have seen and read a lot of reviews on both games but i can not decide which one will be the one ideal for me.

I mostly play with my wife(not a gamer yet but on a good way) she likes shorter games light to medium her favorites are ticket to ride nordic countries, 7 wonder duel, splendor, port royal, agricola, viticulture, tiny epic galaxies.

As for me feel free to check my profile for my games, i like negotiation, worker placement, area control i really enjoy all types of games i came from video games so rpgs & strategies, medium-heavy games.

I like the look of both games Descent appeals to me as it has a campaign, character development etc. and i feel there is more game inside than Zombicide. On the other hand Zombicide seems like a light hack and slash game not so heavy on rules easier to stomach for my wife.
If you can please comment on both games how they play, feel, setup time teardown time all info is appreciated. Or if there is a different game in your opinion that will fit feel free to recommend.

I cant buy both of them as they are pricey but maybe in the future who knows devil

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty much like you say.

Zombicide: Black Plague is light, light-hearted, zombie-horde-splattering fun. It also has leveling, but it all happens during the game and for the scenario only. The more zombies you slay, the better you get at it.

Descent 2 is more complex (not heavy, but at least medium). More tactical, positioning on the map matters a lot. There is cover and stuff like that. Combat is a bit more involved. It has campaign-play, where you play the same heroes over multiple scenarios and they gain new skills and equipment over time, while the story unfolds. With the app (Road to Legends), you can play this fully cooperative also. Otherwise, one player will be the Overlord and control the monsters.

I like both types of games for what they are. I wouldn't call one superior to the other, they are different enough.

I have the feeling, that Zombicide might be the better pick for you, at the moment.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy both games (prefer Descent with the app) but I can get my wife to play Zombicide Black Plague. It is easier to learn, less tactical and contained within a single session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daryl allan
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I recently picked up Descent 2nd Ed and our group is having a blast with it. Definitely rule - heavy but the ROI with respect to rules vs. fun factor is high and well worth the learning phase effort, imho.

ZC will always be a blast but, as Thanee stated, it's more of a short - term in and out sort of endeavor compared to the campaign play of Descent. If you're after something with faster game play, less overhead and long term engagement ZC may be the better play.

I'll close with the point that Descent offers several modes of play. As pointed out, there is an Overlord (DM) driving app that negates the need for one player to be the bad guy(s). There is also a guide that adds a set of home-grown (fan-made) rules allowing the Overlord to run on semi-auto pilot (decisions are all made based on defined rules/conditions). There are also varying modes of gameplay within the built-in Descent rules.

Personally (and anecdotally) I prefer the overlord to be run by a human. There are varying opinions on this but I agree with the mindset that the overlord should operate as more of a DM who calibrates difficulty dynamically during the encounters to keep gameplay challenging and fun by encouraging plays such as sacrificing moves, hail-mary passes, cooperative efforts and heroic feats. As far as i know, this can't really be achieved with ZC unless you start throwing out "house rules" to overcome certain obstacles or make things more challenging (been there - done that).

Hope this helps. Would be interesting to see what you go with, why and how you like it.

d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoltan kazmer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the insight and opinions. As for myself I would roll with Descent I think, however this will be our first miniatures game and a lighter game will probably see more table time and if it goes through well I can try to push for Descent as well sometime later. I will definitely report back when the purchase happens and with the results how well did it do on the table. Hope the wife will like it, she reacted positively to the Zombicide review and is interested in painting the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There you have your decision!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoltan kazmer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide accquired hopefully we can get it to the table over the weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoltan kazmer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we played 3 games one solo run to get the rules down and after that we played the tutorial and second mission. The tutorial went down OK, the second mission however was a really tense game we played with 4 heroes so 2 short but it was fantastic my wife very liked it and got immersed deeply in to the game. It was a hit mid game we run into a lot of trouble with a abomination spawn with no dragon bile at hand an it took us at least 6 whole turns to draw one but in the end we won. Thx a lot for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great news

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.