Hide
3 Posts

The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Organized Tournament Play [What to Expect] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirov Ever
msg tools
All games were 7 players. Roles used were Merlin, Percival, 2 regular good versus Assassin, Morgana, Mordred.

Game 1:
Evil won by assassinating Merlin.
I was on the side of evil. First quest (2p) was won by good, no questions asked. Second quest (3p) was again won by good. But in it there was this guy J - my evil teammate who played success. Alright, nevermind that. He was selected for quest 3 (3p) but this time he failed it. Still ok. When it came to the fourth quest (4p), which required two fails, I saw the team had not enough bad guys in it, so I rejected the team. It was a close vote, 4-3. I saw my teammate had voted yes. If he had voted no, the crown would have then been passed to him. Allowing him to select a team with 2 evil. Anyways I correctly read who Merlin was and guided the assassin to her. Evil won, I won.

Pretty annoyed by J who missed out on the concept of momentum. Evil could win at the end, but still...

Game 2:
Evil won by assassinating Merlin.
I was on the side of good. Regular loyal servant. First quest (2p) was won by good, no questions asked. Call it my good reading skills or whatever, but from the start I could see it in his eyes that L was the assassin. Hard to prove this, but I find that my plays on the side of Good are better than the average players out there because I noticed that I have the knack to read out who are the evil players from the get-go. This led me to carry the game, as I usually do when on the side of Good. I wasn't Merlin but in most of my games as Good I could carry hard enough despite in the role of a Regular loyal servant. Anyways, I was successfully filtered out to be one of the last 2 for the role of Merlin. But unfortunately L the Assassin chose the right Merlin. Who was J, the guy from Game 1. Evil won, I lost.

Pretty annoyed at this point with your performance, J... You were too quiet as a Merlin and that was the signal.

The tournament ended here as there was already an established lead by one of the players. The third game onwards was not scored.

EDIT: Due to potential double post this will only focus on the tournament part. The other thread will be the full thing with 4 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just goes to show that just because you're playing in a tournament doesn't mean you'll get good (or even competent) players.

My club is considering having an Avalon tournament, and this kind of problem - finding yourself at the mercy of poor, inexperienced players with no common sense - is one that is hard to avoid.

And even good players screw up sometimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jacob bob
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
As this goes, it helps to have ratings systems in play, or at least to make every stage in the tournament a group stage as Avalon does not allow knock-out tournaments. Because in the long run, you will not always be with the poor players, and the net from teams becomes zero.

It also helps to organize tournaments with more skilled players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.