$20.00
$30.00
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you prepare your games, do you have an ordered alien deck and shuffled flare deck or visa versa?

I deal out 2 flares to each player, then collect the aliens for them from the A-Z stack, and thats what the players get. This would mean people can choose their alien based on seeing the flare too.

The other way would be to have an ordered flare deck. You then just hand out 2 shuffled aliens per player, then after they have selected you go collect the matching flare from the A-Z stack.

Which is it people?

Note: I have all expansions so the alien and flare stacks are huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the way to do it is with the flare deck.

What a lot of people, me included, do is that the alien deck is actually separated per colour. So you have a green, yellow, and red deck and they're all sorted alphabetically, this seems to work great for us.

Picking based on alien cards is a bit nonsensical as you need to add the flare of the alien they don't pick to the deck anyway.

In the end it doesn't really matter all that much, but I'd definitely suggest that picking based on flare cards is a lot faster and easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Andrew said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fmorel.net/cosmic/generator.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:

Wow, that's cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was funny one time I helped setup another dudes game, I didn't realise he used the opposite scheme to me, so when I started shuffling his flare deck he cried ha.

I do it with flares tho mainly because after each game I bottom the played alien flares face up in my flare deck. Idea being I'm trying to cycle through the whole lot, making sure every alien gets a play, before I reset it all and go again. I'm about half way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle the flares, aliens are alphabetized.

I think the official rules say to shuffle the alien sheets and find the corresponding flares, but that's absolutely bonkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
I do it with flares tho mainly because after each game I bottom the played alien flares face up in my flare deck. Idea being I'm trying to cycle through the whole lot, making sure every alien gets a play, before I reset it all and go again. I'm about half way

You can still do that. Just make sure you separate the face up cards in the flare deck before shuffling. Also, there are aliens that play around with the flare deck, that might mess with your plans anyway.

Just make a checklist and use that, it's safer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Shuffle the flares, aliens are alphabetized.
I think the official rules say to shuffle the alien sheets and find the corresponding flares, but that's absolutely bonkers.

Not the rules of the FFG version. We do it by the rules as written (except also hidden powers).

FFG edition wrote:
4. Choose Aliens: Shuffle the flare cards and deal two to each
player. The player takes the alien sheets corresponding to
the two flares and looks at them in secret, choosing one of
the two aliens to play during this game. The chosen alien is
placed facedown in front of the player, while the other alien
sheet is returned to the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep the aliens separated by color, and I deal alien sheets to players to choose, for two reasons.

One- Most players want to read the alien description anyway before choosing, so might as well start with the sheets.

Two- After aliens are picked, it's easier to shuffle through the flares to find the matching aliens than it is to shuffle through the alien sheets.

I don't bother alphabetizing either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle the flares (or rather, a portion of the flare deck, as it's nearing 200 cards with the upcoming expansion), deal those out as randomizers.

All alien sheets are strictly sorted by alpha (I don't separate by color), and woe unto he who does not refile them properly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
What most everyone else has said: shuffle the flares.

If you try to keep your flares alphabetized, you're going to have heartburn with a variety of effects like Aristocrat, Chrysalis, Host, Alien Outpost, Wild Chrysalis, Wild Host, Wild Pentaform, Wild Tourist, Super Aristocrat, some new things coming in Cosmic Eons, and possibly one or two others I missed.

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
All alien sheets are strictly sorted by alpha (I don't separate by color), and woe unto he who does not refile them properly...

Amen and amen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean of Games
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

We shuffle the flares and deal those out. After every game, I remove any alien flares used in that game. This way we always use new aliens. Once we e used them all, Ill open it up to all of them.

Then I give each player a stack of aliens (ones we've played have been removed) and they grab theirs and pass the stacks. I don't alphabetize the aliens and it works fine this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laos the Lurking
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a different approach:

1. Sort alien sheets by colour (green, yellow, red) --> 3 piles
2. Shuffle every alien-pile
3. Sort flare cards by colour and then order them, so they match the sequence of the alien sheets
4. Keep the 3 Alien and 3 flarecard stacks seperated and never rearrange them, until they run empty (store the used aliens and flare cards somewhere alse).

This way you have plenty of games where you just need to draw some cards and immediately have the corresponding flares:
When playing, I just decide which colours I want to use, and then draw the appropiate amount from the alien sheet stacks (e.g. I mostly deal out 1 green and 1 yellow alien to every player). The corresponding flare cards are the topmost cards of the deck with matching colour.
Since I let my guests chose, what alien sheets they draw, I don't have an advantage by picking my favourite.
Only thing that could be disadvantageous is, that you might remember the composition of available aliens in he first couple of games. So if you like to play with hidden alien identities, this might not work for you. Otherwiese I'd reccomend to test this out ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
I like the idea of Alphabetizing the Aliens and dealing out the Flares at random, but some people (especially new players) really like to read the Alien power description prior to choosing...so that can mess with this plan.

What is your preferred way to handle this situation? I really wish the Flares had the base Alien power description included - though that would end up being a lot of text, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deal out flares, pass the stack of aliens around and everyone takes the ones they were dealt. After everyone selects, the remainders are returned to the stack in the correct spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.