Warhammer Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Themed Event Decks, and keeping it cardboard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am fiddling with my old copy of Warhammer Quest again, to spite Tzeentch the god of change and his needless re-imagining of this best of games.

I despise using dice tables and hand-written notes, and would like to do as much as possible using cards.

Turns out I have EXACTLY enough Event Cards to build four themed decks.

I have two copies of the core set cards (a packing error in my favour!); both official expansions; and all the cards published in White Dwarf. So I need only use official cards published in the Good Old Days, which is how I like it.

Each theme deck is 22 cards in size, with about 10 Events and 12 Monsters: approximating the balance of the original Event deck. Gone are the days when I would have bunged all the cards into a single massive deck, with no thought to balance, power curve or theme!

Death Below Karak Azgal (Vanilla)
Core Set Event Cards

Domain of the Horned Rat (Skaven)
Core Set Event Cards, minus Orc & Goblins, plus WD Skaven / Chaos cards

Lair of the Orc Lord (Orcs & Goblins)
Lair of the Orc Lord Event Cards only

Catacombs of Terror (Undead)
Catacombs of Terror Event Cards + WD sliding doors, snake pits etc.

My plan is to have the warriors traverse these four decks, working their way through the official adventures.

How long do you think I can get away with using these themed event decks, before warriors become overpowered, and I need to switch to the monster tables in the Roleplaying Book? I think that the Orc and Undead decks should be deadly enough to see the warriors through level 1, even with knapsacks full of treasure cards.

I'm also thinking about slowing the warrior advancement process. Gold gained for defeating monsters could be tracked as experience points, with only Gold gained from treasure counting as actual gold coins. This would slow both levelling-up, and purchasing equipment in settlements. I may even dispense with out-of-dungeon activity altogether, and rely on Treasure Cards as the only measure of warrior advancement. What do you reckon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're worried about advancing too quickly?

I've never had a Warrior get to level 10 using the Monster Tables, so I've never felt like advancement was too easy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, by two or three adventures you should be able to level, but the Orc/Undead decks are hard enough that level 2 might not be that big of a deal.

Actually, I'm not sure on the decks. The tables are hard enough that level 2 might not be that big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.