Subject: Zendo 2.0 in Playtesting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who haven't seen, the Looneys are experimenting with Zendo using three shapes (rectangular prisms, pyramids, and wedges, all one size).

See for yourself:

So, any thoughts about this? Anyone playtested these? Aesthetically I find it less intriguing than those darn pyramids, but I'm willing to keep an open mind regarding the new shapes' suitability for Zendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not liking it at first glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who loves pyramid arcade, having shapes other than the pyramid just doesn't feel right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the pyramids have the right amount of complexity for Zendo, and the fact that they use the same parts as the rest of the pyramid games is a big plus. If these shapes are Zendo-only, then even if they're just as good as the pyramids, it's annoying. If these shapes are meant as a new type of "play tons of games with this" system, then it's annoying as well - do we really need two separate such systems from one company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Zendo using the new shapes at LooneyCon and liked them very much. That said, Zendo is one of my favorite games and as a result I will play with all manner of objects and materials. There are a few things that are eliminated with the new shapes. First, because of the fact that they're all the same size, things like nesting are right out (though hollow-body stacking works in most cases). To me this is not a huge loss because I've always found nesting to be a challenge in Zendo because you often can't distinguish a nest at a glance. Related, there were no pips, but again pip-based rules are often the most difficult and not used much in my games. Second, there is a bit of a visual ambiguity between the pyramid and the wedge at certain angles. I would need to play a lot more to see if this visual ambiguity persists. Third, I'm used to playing Zendo with pyramids, so many of my go-to rules were not applicable. I personally find this aspect fascinating as now I have to come up with a new set of rules to lean on -- which is always fun. Finally, in the set we played with there were not enough pieces, and you probably already know what happens in that circumstance. I'm going to discount this fact because the set used was 3D-printed and put together for LooneyCon. I suspect that the upcoming set will have more pieces, but even if not then I _personally_ wouldn't mind grabbing more than one set.

I think that maybe the biggest change in the new set is that without pips and nesting then there might be an upper-bound on the complexity level of the koans. This may or may not be a problem for everyone and indeed with some imagination, quite complex koans can be devised anyway.

That's it. I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I think that the pyramids have the right amount of complexity for Zendo, and the fact that they use the same parts as the rest of the pyramid games is a big plus. If these shapes are Zendo-only, then even if they're just as good as the pyramids, it's annoying. If these shapes are meant as a new type of "play tons of games with this" system, then it's annoying as well - do we really need two separate such systems from one company?

I don't claim to speak for LLabs, but it was my impression that the new pieces were NOT targeted to be a new system. However, that will not stop fans from using them as such of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the video and reading Mike's comment, I will admit that getting rid of the pips is one nice thing about the new set. I'm sure we've all played "Only if the pip count is prime" type rules; they aren't much fun, rules about colors and arrangements are way more entertaining. But I still like being able to play Zendo, then afterwards switch to a game of Homeworlds with the same pieces, so I'll put up with the pips since they make that possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
After watching the video and reading Mike's comment, I will admit that getting rid of the pips is one nice thing about the new set. I'm sure we've all played "Only if the pip count is prime" type rules; they aren't much fun, rules about colors and arrangements are way more entertaining. But I still like being able to play Zendo, then afterwards switch to a game of Homeworlds with the same pieces, so I'll put up with the pips since they make that possible.

Of course I haven't tried to play Homeworlds with the new pieces, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. I don't know what the final Zendo 2.0 colors will be, but I have to think that the HWs colors will be represented, but if not a logical mapping will help there. The bigger problem is that the pieces are the same size. To "fix" that we can imagine that ships instead upgrade to increasingly more angles wedge -> pyramid -> block or better yet, upgrade as one might carve a piece of wood into the ideal shape block -> wedge -> pyramid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking through the ramifications of the changes a bit. Here's what I see as being lost and what is gained by the changes:

Qualities that are lost fully:

* Size
* Numerical Value
* Nesting
* Opaque or see through

Qualities that are lost partially:

* Stacking (Direct stacking is limited now)
* Direction (not clear where a block is pointing)

Qualities that are gained fully:

* Shape

Qualities that are gained partially:

* Face up or down (for blocks)
* Rotation (wedges are not rotationally symettric)
* Stacking (new structures can be stacked out of blocks and wedges like the stonehenge in the video)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:

* Opaque or see through

That remains to be seen in the final set. It's certainly lost in the prototype, but it's unclear if that represents the colors/opacity of the final set.

IMO, Size/Shape are a wash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fogus wrote:
UanarchyK wrote:

* Opaque or see through

That remains to be seen in the final set. It's certainly lost in the prototype, but it's unclear if that represents the colors/opacity of the final set.

It does not. The prototype pieces were 3D printed. The pieces in Zendo 2.0 will be made the same way the pyramids are made. At least that's my understanding of the plan from talking to Andy in August. In any event, it's a prototype. The final product will look different. That's the way it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylinders would make more sense than wedges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:

I thought so too, but during LooneyCon Andy took some time to talk about some of the rejected shapes (and had some to show). Things like cylinders, cones, and domes were rejected because they are not easily stacked on and also tend to roll around on the table and onto the floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:

True, but cylinders will roll around when placed on their side, which can accidentally change a koan from buddha to non-buddha and make things really confusing.

I don't much like the wedge idea either. How about a hexagonal prism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
After watching the video and reading Mike's comment, I will admit that getting rid of the pips is one nice thing about the new set. I'm sure we've all played "Only if the pip count is prime" type rules; they aren't much fun, rules about colors and arrangements are way more entertaining.
To each their, own, but as a lover of that kind of out-of-the-box rule, I'll be keeping my old Zendo set...

Saw the Looney's demoing this at Gencon. Good on them for bringing back the game, and I wish them luck, but I'll stick with pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UanarchyK wrote:
Just thinking through the ramifications of the changes a bit. Here's what I see as being lost and what is gained by the changes:

Qualities that are lost fully:

* Size
* Numerical Value
* Nesting
* Opaque or see through

Qualities that are lost partially:

* Stacking (Direct stacking is limited now)
* Direction (not clear where a block is pointing)

Qualities that are gained fully:

* Shape

Qualities that are gained partially:

* Face up or down (for blocks)
* Rotation (wedges are not rotationally symettric)
* Stacking (new structures can be stacked out of blocks and wedges like the stonehenge in the video)

I also use with the current pyramids color/no color (clear, white, black)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.