13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Adapting Call of Cthulhu Adventures to Arkham LCG format rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I just had the thought of adapting some CAll of Cthulhu adventures over to the Arkham card game. This seems to be a treasure trove of inspiration to do so. What are you thoughts on this and would you have a recommendation for any that would be worth the modification for?

I'm also planning on creating some Gimp templates for all the cards. I do not have photoshop so I'm unable to use Clayton's templates unless there is a way to import to Gimp that I'm not aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Already dug up my Masks of Nyarlathotep book. However it will be enormous work to do even a part of that. For now its just an idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I was looking at that one, but went with mansions of madness because it seems to have smaller scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what would be even easier is adapting Scooby Doo episodes to Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I think what would be even easier is adapting Scooby Doo episodes to Arkham Horror.

But the core set doesn't include a 'creepy caretaker under a sheet' encounter set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

But then act 3 would always be '... and I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Would Scooby have two hand slots too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
Melissa
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trail of Cthulhu as well. Can't wait to see some one do Eternal Lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samus98 wrote:
Trail of Cthulhu as well. Can't wait to see some one do Eternal Lies.

Way too big again. Just being playing for 8 weeks and they have just left LA.

If people want to use CoC or Trail adventures for inspiration then I would suggest looking more at one-shots. These have a more manageable set of locations and it is more likely that you will be able to convert them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
andyl wrote:

If people want to use CoC or Trail adventures for inspiration then I would suggest looking more at one-shots. These have a more manageable set of locations and it is more likely that you will be able to convert them.

Have you got any in mind? I have not played CoC so I'm at a loss; which is why I made this thread to defer to the experts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spectrehorseman wrote:
andyl wrote:

Have you got any in mind? I have not played CoC so I'm at a loss; which is why I made this thread to defer to the experts.

I would suggest downloading the Call of Cthulhu 7 Quick-Start. This has the rules and it includes the short adventure called The Haunting which is the classic that many start with.

One quick point though is CoC and Trail are usually a lot less pulpy than Arkham Horror universe. So you will often have to consider that when porting adventures across. When I GM Trail (or Cthulhu) if they start waving guns around somewhere half-civilised then the cops will soon be on their tail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren T.
United States
Dallas/Ft. Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone playing both tabletop board games & in love with Call of Cthulhu/Trail of Cthulhu RPGs (getting more into writing scenarios & running them both now), my thoughts. It might be possible though as some of the Call of Cthulhu/Trail of Cthulhu games can go in a few hours just about the same time as playing the campaign here with Arkham Horror LCG. I'd vote to just keep them separate as the work to get CoC/Trail scenarios custom made for this would take up a lot of extra work.

Even going with the The Haunting would take a good few dozen cards for just the locations. Great idea though & agreed it might be easier to try it for Mansions of Madness. I'd love to see more adventures for this & taking as much of CoC/Trail scenarios as possible for influences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren T.
United States
Dallas/Ft. Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spectrehorseman wrote:
andyl wrote:

Good ways to get into this:
Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast
http://blasphemoustomes.com/

they did a short video series into getting into the game too
http://blasphemoustomes.com/videos/

Also the Miskatonic University Podcast has done a ton for both the Keeper/GM but also for the players & rules
http://www.mu-podcast.com/

For Trail the best thing still is something done for another Gumshoe system, Nights Black Agents (burned spies turned to hunting vampires), One Shot Podcast did a quick game session during the kickstarter run by the guy writing it & Ken did a short rules summary as a separate one. One big difference in Trail of Cthulhu & other Gumshoe setting books is Trail uses mind blasting sanity mechanics in addition to mental stress aka stability.
http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/dracula-dossier-...

For fun actual plays there are many sites out there but the one that has a bunch both for Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green (modern day encounters with the mythos using mostly the same rules as CoC) & Trail of Cthulhu, try Role Playing Public Radio.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/system...

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/system...

Try too the best of RPPR like Bryson Springs or the assorted Delta Green things like God's Teeth or any from Adam Scott Glancy (one of the writers of Delta Green & host of the Unspeakable Oath podcast/Podcast at Ground Zero)
http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/the-best-of-rpp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.