Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm really thinking to get KD:M during this campaign and probably I will
But I have a question: is it worth as a solo game? I have some friends to play BG but I don't think that I could make them play such kind of game (because it requires a dedicated group)
Also I was wondering to get the 750$ pledge (core game+ gambler's chest + all 12 current exps), is it a waste for playing solo?
Keep in mind that I'm not in for painting (I will search some easy and noob methods just to have shadows and something like that) but I like assembling miniatures
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes.
Sorry to make it that short but this question has been asked very often.
But you have your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, great game for solo play.

Book keeping becomes something of an issue, but that's usually going to be the trade-off when you're talking about a game with this sort of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
Wow thank you for the replies guys!
I'm really pleased to hear that Now I need to decide if go with all 12 current expansions or just core game and gambler's chest!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
Do you plan to play game numerous times? Since first you play solo base game, then for example dragon king+ 1 expasnion,maybe 2, then you have bunch of other expansions, and people tell, play with max 3 at the same time. And on top of that, you have gamble chest.

Do you like to play boardgames all by yourself? Bear in mind, that it will take even more time if you play by yourself since you do all micro management alone.

If you have positive answer to those questions, go for it

Also, some new expansions are probably better than some of less popular old ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think KDM is best with 1 or 2 players - getting four people together for a 30+ hour campaign isn't easy and it's quicker and easier for 1/2 people to make decisions in the settlement phase. You also don't have issues with selfish play (hoarding good gear, 'ownership' of the better survivors).

But that's just, like, my opinion man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unless money is not an issue for you, get the core box only. It will give many hours of fun, maybe add a couple of expansions as add ons during pledhe manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
One thing I haven't tried is to mix solo and group play.

Since you don't run characters, it doesn't matter if you let a few people join in your solo campaign part way through for a lantern year or 2.

The only risk is that new players don't know what you are doing and go and get a total party kill and lead to a spiral of death and a lost settlement. However, since this is Kingdom Death, you were probably going to lose the settlement (and many others) anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on playing a solo game, but most likely I will be able to play with a group on and off. I just have to make sure I have a way to "save my game" between two different groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
I plan on playing a solo game, but most likely I will be able to play with a group on and off. I just have to make sure I have a way to "save my game" between two different groups.

Yes, I have like 4 different campaigns in progress right now. It's not hard, you just need to be organized with the bookkeeping. There are some great aides in the Files section for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
PiffoLOL wrote:
Hi, I'm really thinking to get KD:M during this campaign and probably I will
But I have a question: is it worth as a solo game? I have some friends to play BG but I don't think that I could make them play such kind of game (because it requires a dedicated group)
Also I was wondering to get the 750$ pledge (core game+ gambler's chest + all 12 current exps), is it a waste for playing solo?
Keep in mind that I'm not in for painting (I will search some easy and noob methods just to have shadows and something like that) but I like assembling miniatures
Thanks in advance!

The game is solid solo, really no different than group play other than the lack of company

It does take sizable table space and organization since you still run four characters.

There's a lot in the base game by itself. I have all the expansions and it will take me many years to explore them all. It's a game where adding one or two expansions at a time is plenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Brian T wrote:

I take pictures of the gear grids when I switch campaigns, and everything else is written down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
This plays extremely well solo. I don't recommend buying the expansions until you need them. I have all of the expansions and haven't used any of them yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
Well with all those positive thoughts on the solo I guess I will back it for sure!!!
Now as stated before I have to decide if go for the 12 expansion or not... In any case I wait until near the end of the campaign (before the 48 hours because I fear the amount of issues KS could have) to have a better knowledge of all expansions (new and old)!
Another thing I want to know is the shipping cost... I replied in the FAQ thread but nobody answred to me at the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be the best Solo experience ever for me. Its surpasses Mage Knight as my favorite game to play solo.

1. The Settlement phase requires a lot of planning. Which principles to take, how to spend endeavor and how to use your resources to best equip your survivors. I found in multiplayer games then can be more difficult. Most apparent with equipment. In my solo games I usually focus on beefing up one survivor first. If your playing multiplayer you kind of forced to spread resources around and you don't want to alpha game and make all the choices.

2. Support Character is pretty important in the game. Often times all the support character does is use the cat eye circlet or rawhide helm. This is not always the most fun character to play if its all you play.

3. Character deaths can happen at anytime even during the hunt phase. If you play multiplayer and that player's character dies they kind of have to sit out the whole showdown phase.

I love Solo because I enjoy making all the fun choices in the game, but I also play a ton with my wife two-player. I think 1-2 is the sweet spot for this game. I don't think I would ever play with more then 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PiffoLOL wrote:
Well with all those positive thoughts on the solo I guess I will back it for sure!!!
Now as stated before I have to decide if go for the 12 expansion or not... In any case I wait until near the end of the campaign (before the 48 hours because I fear the amount of issues KS could have) to have a better knowledge of all expansions (new and old)!
Another thing I want to know is the shipping cost... I replied in the FAQ thread but nobody answred to me at the moment!

You might check out Bits of Board on YouTube. He did really nice unboxing's of all the expansions. Showed off some of the card so you could get a feel for the expansion but not so much as to spoil it and then talked breifly about the feel for the expansion.

Wave 1 - Estimated Delivery Summer 2017

Core Game / 1.5 Update Pack
United States... $25 / $10
European Union... $40 / $20
Canada... $30 / $15
Australia... $40 / $20
Rest of World... $100 / $30

Wave 2 - Estimated Delivery Spring 2018
Gambler's Box, Promo and cross-over figures
United States... $20 + $2 per Add on
European Union... $20 + $2 per Add on
Canada... $20 + $2 per Add on
Australia... $20 + $2 per Add on
Rest of World... $30 + $2 per Add on

Wave 3 - Estimated Delivery Spring 2019
New Expansions
United States... $15 + $5 per additional expansion
European Union... $15 + $5 per additional expansion
Canada... $15 + $5 per additional expansion
Australia... $15 + $5 per additional expansion
Rest of World... $30 + $5 per additional expansion

Wave 4 & Beyond - Estimated Delivery Winter 2020
???
Even I don't know for 100% what may happen during this campaign.

The FAQ also covers things like VAT and taxes, I also don't think he has confirmed when the current expansion reprints will ship but I think the goal is to ship then next year during Wave 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Matteo, if you have any inquiries that you feel would be answered best in Italian, just PM me. I can't swear I can answer everything, but I gathered a bit of experience in dealing with KDM shop and kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to have some friends who were able to commit to a full campaign. Solo would work fine, but I did like that by the mid-game we were all "experienced" players. My friends would often have ideas that never would have occurred to me if I were playing solo.

As for expansions...
If you can afford to grab them, I'd do it. This will prevent regretting not getting them later on. Will you NEED them any time soon? Nope. But you'll have them when you are ready. Maybe after this KS the store will be more consistently stocked... but who knows for sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PiffoLOL wrote:
Now as stated before I have to decide if go for the 12 expansion or not...

Also read the threads about the expansions. Some are more recommended than others. I think Dragon King and Grom are supposed to be the best and the tree (?) the worst? Also, the Nightmare Ram has just been announced and it's "inexpensive" at $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone again! Sorry if don't reply soon, I will of course see this Bits of Board unboxing for expansions so I can better decide!
I really hope to get my mind set before the 48 hours of the end!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I play solo and love it. Be advised though there is a considerable amount of book keeping in this game as a solo player. It slows the game down for sure. I really don't mind this and it gets easier to manage as you get used to the rules and cards.

As for the expansions you really don't need any to enjoy the game because the core has an enormous amount of content. On that note, assuming you know you like this game, just get all of the current expansions. They are half off right now, awesome, and combined they pretty much double the content of the core. They will also keep you busy until the new expansions come out. By then you will be experienced enough to know which ones you will like. (All of them)

There, I solved all of your problems with your money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.