$30.00
Isao
msg tools
mbmb
In the special setup of the Canyon Run mission of the Twin Shadows mini-campaign it is stated that "You may not use other abilities." while attacking with the Tusken Raiders (the only usable ability being spending a surge for +2 accuracy).

Does the +1 damage and re-roll granted by the Optimal Tactics card from the Inspiring Leadership deck count as abilities for the purpose of the special setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
RRG, Abilities wrote:
All text on cards and hero sheets are referred to as abilities.

So, isn't it explicitly specified in the mission rule that you cannot use other abilities than the ones listed in the mission rule (
: +2 Accuracy) during that attack.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
▪ Tusken Raiders on the Narrow Path (TS05B) gain
: Perform a ranged attack using 2 blue dice, requiring 8 accuracy. During this attack, you have line of sight to any figure on an exterior space. This attack gains
: +2 Accuracy. You cannot use other abilities during this attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isao
msg tools
mbmb
The quote from the Rules Reference Guide is indeed very clear. Thank you!

edit: On the other hand, there is some ambiguity in the expression "use other abilities". What does "use" mean in this context? It could be argued that the +1 damage granted by Optimal Tactics is passive, and not active like spending a surge, or re-rolling a dice.

I am very prone to thinking that the Optimal Tactics card cannot be used at all, but I would just like a conclusive opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this question a year ago when we were at this point and according to ffg you are also using passive abilities, so no +1 damage for sniping tuskens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty logical that if an ability isn't used, you don't gain the ability text/effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isao
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I agree.

Thank you all for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.