BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best city building game for 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Lowdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the best city building game for 2 players is? I'm looking for something like Suburbia, Quadropolis etc.

We play games like Through the Ages so don't mind if its fairly complex but would prefer to avoid something that is too 'fiddly' in terms of mechanics and scoring.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I see a lot of complaints that adjusting your income, rep and population every turn is fiddly in Suburbia. I personally think after one or two games in makes sense and is easy to deal with. Then after 20 or so games you have a firm grip on all the tile interactions so play is fast.

Edit: I'm probably biased as it's my wife's favorite game and we've played over 160 times.

As for Quadroplis, for me the limiting of the play space seems like it would be kind of samey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia

[/thread]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Suburbia, by far, is the best city builder I've played at two.

I never found the upkeep difficult, time consuming, or frustrating. It take about 2 seconds/turn. Seriously.

Quadropolis is a much lighter affair, and is more an abstract puzzle. Still brilliant, but doesn't quite scratch the same itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Lowdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks guys. Anyone have any suggestions aside from Suburbia or Quadropolis that might be worth a look?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a city-builder in the strictest sense, but something that plays with a similar feel is The Castles of Burgundy.

If you are looking for a pure city-builder, I can't recommend it, but it does have building and similar leveraging of your existing buildings.

It's replaced Suburbia for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice City works well with two (much better than, in my opinion, with 3 or 4), though it's rather light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it is a pure enough city building experience for you, since it has other elements like worker placement, but one of my absolute favorite games is Small City, which has some similarities to Suburbia but is much more fun in my opinion. Due to it being fairly interactive (about on par with Keyflower I would say), it's best with 3 or 4 players, but I've had lots of fun playing against a single opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murano, Sunrise City, Ginkopolis (great game), Kingsburg, New York 1901, Vegas Showdown, Deadwood, St. Malo (under $20 now!), Lords of Vegas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Capitals is well regarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Lowdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Formersd wrote:
Not a city-builder in the strictest sense, but something that plays with a similar feel is The Castles of Burgundy.

If you are looking for a pure city-builder, I can't recommend it, but it does have building and similar leveraging of your existing buildings.

It's replaced Suburbia for me.

Yeah, I already own Castles of Burgundy and it is indeed a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Lowdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, I'll check out all these suggestions on YouTube and see which will appeals to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Two Cities has a decent competitive option for 2 players. It pretty muchs plays the same as more players too so no need to learn a bunch of special rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
We like Subdivision better than Suburbia but it's definitely more of a puzzle than a game. I wish the tiles looked more like buildings so you could see your full city from a distance at the end of the game but they're already pretty busy as it stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the best bang for your buck, you may want to consider some game mechanics that you prefer and that could help you to determine the type of game suggestions you would prefer.

Some common mechanics follow:
Tile Placement - Most Common Mechanic
Auction
Drafting
Dice Rolling
Role Selection
Area Control
Gambling/Heavy Luck

Some City Building Games I like that are good for 2
Castles Mad King Ludwig/Subdivision
Among the Stars/7 Wonders Duel
51st State/Imperial Settlers
Dice City
Amerigo
New York 1901
San Juan
Carcassonne the Castle

Better for more than two.
Machi Koro
7 Wonders
Citadels
Lords of Vegas
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.