13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Field commander Napoleon, Alexander or Commands & Colors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi, I had recently a discussion which game to choose for christmas, i wasnt able to get CoH Games And considering between C&C ancients + expansion pack with barbarians or Field Commander series...all of Them seems good, Rommel,Alexander, Napoleon. How would you help me to decide when I can play in boardgame club only once a week, do you think a V&C wd b Worth it or I shoud rather go for DVG series And exactlly which oné would you reccommend from those 3 available options, maybe try to mention pros And cons of each, thanx alot for help, I could play C&C with dad, but aswell not daily, but the éra appeals to mě most, So its hard to decide And would be greatful for help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of these games (Edit: oops! except Alexander), and the best by far is C&C.

The Field Commander games are OK, but at the end of the day I didn't feel very absorbed by the gameplay. And it is easy to "game" them, never losing a battle. I think I've actually gotten more play out of C&C solo (playing both sides) than I did FC: Napoleon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I had Napoleon and didn't care for it as it was too abstracted. Wonderful production thought. Alexander never played.

C&C not played Nap or Ancients, but Memoir '44 and The Great War and love that system, so go with C&C for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. SCHMITT
France
Alsace
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Commanders are not very good solo games, especially the first ( Rommel ).
I would recommand C&C !
Pros : nice material if you like cards and cubes, many different battles, simple and fun rules, more extensions to add if you like it, other games sharing the system.
Cons : a bit annoying to set up, not a great simulation ( but still a lot of flavour ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Field Commander: Napoleon and think it an excellent game. I think it strikes a great balance between flavor, complexity and modeling of the various campaigns. Plus it's designed to be played solitaire.

That said, it is very much in the mold of "wargame as strageic puzzle." Once you have the 'key' down for the puzzle beating the game becomes not terrifically challenging, save for the random element. I think this is what Aaron is saying above.

But each campaign is its own, different puzzle. There are something like 12 campaigns in the box, so it provides a great deal of play before it's exhausted. It is by my reckoning an excellent value even if you only play each campaign once and sell it.

I have no direct knowledge of Field Commander: Alexander, although I think Napoleon is commonly considered the best one.

The Commands & Colors system is great fun; I've played Ancients and Napoleonics plus Memoir '44. I like Napoleonics best. I don;t think, though, that it's particularly good played solitaire; a big piece of the game (not knowing what cards your opponent has) is lost, and it's not a terribly meaty game on the whole, so I think this is a significant loss. That said, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the Field Commander games can only be played solo,, so there's that limitation. The C&C games (of which I own all of them) are designed to be played by two players, though team play is possible, and some people do play them solo. If you are planning on playing with other people the only choice among those you listed is C&C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Alexander, Napoleon, and Rommel (I am skipping Nimitz due to bad word of mouth). I also have C&C Ancients and all expansions and C&C:N and all of the army expansions.

Go with C&C. I prefer ancients, but that's just me. If you try out a Field Commander game, most seem to prefer Napoleon. I preferred Alexander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I reviewed Field Commander: Alexander, if you want to have some more detailed insight on it ; I think it's a nice game, that has many fine options and a great narrative in its gameplay. Of the three FC games, it remains my favorite, and one that deserves to be tested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Command & Colors... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Harvie
Scotland
Troon
Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Napoleon

You are left agonising over your moves, it can be tense. Very hard to win the odds really are stacked against you, lots of different scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played C&C from your list...but i can tell you C&C is as good as it gets. Simply the most fun miniatures game i've ever played. If i could only get one, it would be C&C: Ancients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C is terrific. Another vote from that here.

Ancients has the most content available, although C&C Napoleonics has come very close to it. Ancients is still my generic recommendation for that series but you won't go wrong either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
I own FC:A and enjoy it. But I will admit that it feels somehow "cartoonish" and less "serious" than my other war games. Though I'm not sure those words even make sense when describing a grown man pushing cardboard around by himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.