Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea bortolotti
Italy
noceto
parma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a direct backer, so i can't comment on KS:
The Aphrodite standard mini it's not so beautiful as other female mini, and maybe not so Love Goddess as we want.
Head (neck too short?) and weapons apart, a good start to change her sculpt should be a Smile (maybe sexy a bit...)

Bye
Totola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's one of my favourite minis. I love the expression on the sculpt, even more so than on the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I love that this thread is the equivalent of a man telling a woman to smile in the street.

I personally really like Aphrodite's sculpt and art. She's not overly sexualized, and those swords make her look pretty badass. It's something you don't really see from depictions of Aphrodite, but I like that she looks as if she can dish out some tough love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
totola wrote:
I'm not a direct backer, so i can't comment on KS:
The Aphrodite standard mini it's not so beautiful as other female mini, and maybe not so Love Goddess as we want.
Head (neck too short?) and weapons apart, a good start to change her sculpt should be a Smile (maybe sexy a bit...)

Bye
Totola

I also found her to be far from the most attractive female mini. Which is strange considering she's supposed the fairest god, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Well everyone has a different opinion on beauty. I think her hair looks amazing down the back, and her face is just fine. Maybe another item in one hand like the golden apple or such would be nice, but since thats not used in her gameplay the two swords are fine. She is not standing in a warrior's pose with them after all.

In the context it makes sense though, since she is one of the survivors.

How much will you look at her mouth while playing the game anyways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DISCLAIMER! This is an opinion;

With that out of the way, this is one of the sculpts that surprised me the most, and not in a good way. Aphrodite is the Goddess of love, desire, sensuality and all that crap, so if any miniature can get away with validly being a bit "sexed up", it's this one.

She has almond-shaped eyes (yet she's a Greek Goddess, not a Chinese one)
Her face looks like an Aztec mask
Her face even looks somewhat aged
Her figure is stocky and not slender nor lithe as per the art
Ugly toes (haha)

The alternate sculpt has your typical Parente vulgarity, but at least she is "attractive" (in so far as a miniature can represent an attractive woman)

/end opinion, don't shoot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pow pow!

I want to see the plastic sculpt. Many times certain features have to be exaggerated to capture in the plastic version due to shrinkage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmb
Geoff wrote:
DISCLAIMER! This is an opinion;

With that out of the way, this is one of the sculpts that surprised me the most, and not in a good way. Aphrodite is the Goddess of love, desire, sensuality and all that crap, so if any miniature can get away with validly being a bit "sexed up", it's this one.

She has almond-shaped eyes (yet she's a Greek Goddess, not a Chinese one)
Her face looks like an Aztec mask
Her face even looks somewhat aged
Her figure is stocky and not slender nor lithe as per the art
Ugly toes (haha)

The alternate sculpt has your typical Parente vulgarity, but at least she is "attractive" (in so far as a miniature can represent an attractive woman)

/end opinion, don't shoot!

^ This, +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmb
The sculpt IMO look too chubby (fat legs) in the photos. It's probably to do with the focal length of the camera lens. I suggest using a lens of longer focal length (>100mm) to shoot the images again so that we have a better idea of its true form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to the list of those who are underwhelmed by Aphrodite.

Her sculpt is beautiful (hair is just lovely), no doubt about it, except for her face. She doesnt necessarily have to have a sexy/ seductive face, but her facial sculpt doesn't look as regal and alluring as the one on her art. The way the sculpt's lips open up and the way they frown cuts off allure from her otherwise beautiful sculpt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well she is no Raging Heroes beauty but I find her ok.
https://countofaverland.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/dark-elf...=

And well, she's 60mm. I don't think you'll really see her that well. And you can paint her and make het face prettier (if you are a good painter).

She's not in my top 5 list of miniatures that I'd like to see adjusted tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

And well, she's 60mm. I don't think you'll really see her that well. And you can paint her and make het face prettier (if you are a good painter).

Precisely the point. These issues shouldn't exist out-of-the-box simply because she is Aphrodite, the epitome of beauty. You do need to 'paint' her or ignore her 'undesirable' features, or consider scale to make her beautiful. She has to be one of those sculpts that should make you go 'wow' once you see her, like Hecate and Persephone. Those two were some of the universally praised sculpts, and Aphrodite should have brought the same response as well. Unlike how it is currently, wherein opinion about her is greatly divided.

It would have been alright if nobody else looked better than her, or if her art wasn't simply perfect. But unfortunately, some other minis look better. If she was someone else then it would have been easier to excuse her flaws. But being the goddess of beauty, it wouldn't be a stretch for standards to have been set quite high, especially if sculpts such as that of Hecate and Persephone are possible.

And again, it's not the whole sculpt that needs a little touch up, She is beautiful -- if you cover up her face. And it's just her mouth, in my opinion at least as other people have other concerns, that's not up to par with the rest of her look.

EDIT:
Slap that raging hero's lips on Aphrodite and she will be 'the goddess of beauty.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Destry
msg tools
mb
Turonee wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

Precisely the point. These issues shouldn't exist out-of-the-box simply because she is Aphrodite, the epitome of beauty. You do need to 'paint' her or ignore her 'undesirable' features, or consider scale to make her beautiful. She has to be one of those sculpts that should make you go 'wow' once you see her, like Hecate and Persephone. Those two were some of the universally praised sculpts, and Aphrodite should have brought the same response as well. Unlike how it is currently, wherein opinion about her is greatly divided.

It would have been alright if nobody else looked better than her, or if her art wasn't simply perfect. But unfortunately, some other minis look better. If she was someone else then it would have been easier to excuse her flaws. But being the goddess of beauty, it wouldn't be a stretch for standards to have been set quite high, especially if sculpts such as that of Hecate and Persephone are possible.

And again, it's not the whole sculpt that needs a little touch up, She is beautiful -- if you cover up her face. And it's just her mouth, in my opinion at least as other people have other concerns, that's not up to par with the rest of her look.

EDIT:
Slap that raging hero's lips on Aphrodite and she will be 'the goddess of beauty.'

Agreed! I dont want her wearing high heals acting like a bimbo like in the one figure. But at least that figure is making her LOOK like a love goddess that is easy on the eye. They really should have fine tuned Aphrodite after they did Artemis. Ok, naysayers we fixed Artemis, but the trade off was that we had to doll up Aphrodite. Give and take! If people got offended by an attractive/sexy mini than dont buy the game since you are the minority. Sex sells as is seen in other mini games that have raised more money than this game and have way more sexed up mini's. This game has been really conservative in looks considering the way Greek statues are represented. They really shouldnt bend over backwards for people complaining about a female mini's looking too hot. Get some self-esteem, grow thicker skin, and workout harder.

The lips dont bother me as much, but the wow factor I agree isnt there. If I showed this mini to a random person and asked them which god this represented, most likely they'd pick Demeter, Athena, etc....Aphrodite would surprise them. I hope they fix the color of her hair on the ability card too, because it looks reddish rather than blond.

Speaking of Athena, Im surprised she isnt more powerful in combat in truth. Next to Zeus, she is most likely the strongest deity (Poseidon not as much on land I believe). She beat Ares effortlessly in the tales, and is the daughter of a Zeus and a titan rather than just 2 gods. I know she is a good God to have, just wish they didnt make her that weak in combat. She is a very...very...very powerful deity.

PS..Couldnt find on google, but some have stated that Aphrodite had the MC1R gene (source?). Some also stated that she appears different to each person, according to their desires. Couldnt find a source for this either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
givemeInfoplease wrote:
Agreed! I dont want her wearing high heals acting like a bimbo like in the one figure. But at least that figure is making her LOOK like a love goddess that is easy on the eye. They really should have fine tuned Aphrodite after they did Artemis. Ok, naysayers we fixed Artemis, but the trade off was that we had to doll up Aphrodite. Give and take! If people got offended by an attractive/sexy mini than dont buy the game since you are the minority. Sex sells as is seen in other mini games that have raised more money than this game and have way more sexed up mini's.

Another way to handle this would be to follow the KD:M model: have a more mainstream-compatible model set, plus a line of "pin-ups" as add-ons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Svard-Molin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Becq wrote:
givemeInfoplease wrote:
Agreed! I dont want her wearing high heals acting like a bimbo like in the one figure. But at least that figure is making her LOOK like a love goddess that is easy on the eye. They really should have fine tuned Aphrodite after they did Artemis. Ok, naysayers we fixed Artemis, but the trade off was that we had to doll up Aphrodite. Give and take! If people got offended by an attractive/sexy mini than dont buy the game since you are the minority. Sex sells as is seen in other mini games that have raised more money than this game and have way more sexed up mini's.

Another way to handle this would be to follow the KD:M model: have a more mainstream-compatible model set, plus a line of "pin-ups" as add-ons.

They litterally did this though with the guest artist's Circe and Aphrodite box though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, the base Aphrodite mini is the only reason I'm considering getting the Parente pack. I usually don't like his overly sexualized style, but it fits Aphrodite better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I feel the Parente version makes her look like a cheap hooker. A goddess needs more class than that. To me the standard sculpt is just fine.

Overall the female characters do seem to be quite sexualised. Penthesilea, Hippolyta and Atalanta could have looked a bit tougher since they are warriors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Destry
msg tools
mb
Vinceness wrote:
Yeah, the base Aphrodite mini is the only reason I'm considering getting the Parente pack. I usually don't like his overly sexualized style, but it fits Aphrodite better.

Partly agree. Base Aphrodite has class, but no sexiness. Alternate has sexiness, but no class. Aphrodite was both, and no....cheating with Ares doesnt mean she doesnt have class. She was swinging! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Destry
msg tools
mb
Rhalius wrote:
I feel the Parente version makes her look like a cheap hooker. A goddess needs more class than that. To me the standard sculpt is just fine.

Overall the female characters do seem to be quite sexualised. Penthesilea, Hippolyta and Atalanta could have looked a bit tougher since they are warriors.

Leo covered this in the last live, and how the dicetower was of the same mindset of you. He pretty much said that people over there arent as prude as Americans. I agree, as did many others! They stayed respectful to Greek culture, if anything they were too conservative. We have to remember that Greeks were Greeks, not Americans.

Atalanta is usually depicted partly nude, and known for being agile. Having tons of clothes on reduces you agility. She also is just showing off her stomach and legs; no boobs or butt is being revealed.

Penthesilea again usually depicted as partly topless. Are her breasts big? Yes, but its up the artist, and they felt she should have them. Just as they felt that the titans should look like monsters. Most of the females are covered up and smaller breast size. Penthesilea was a amazon warrior so she wore battle armor (and wasnt known for being as agile as Atalanta). If you have big breasts, than armor (most likely metal) isnt going to be friendly towards you. Same problem exists for females today in the military.

Hippolyta butt showing and wearing high heels, I'll give you that. She should have flaps covering them, as the front does, and high heels? Other than that she looks like a true Greek warrior would if they were female (I know she an amazon. She is one of the few mini's wearing classic battle armor too.

Atalanta's stance is intimidating, like come get some. Same with Penthesilea dragging (holding down) her big swords ready for combat; she looks very capable of inflicting harm in that posture. Dragging swords is a common theme in video games too in which male heroes do. Lastly, Hippolyta is one of my favorite looking mini's (minus the shoes). Her armor, her posture just screams toughness; notice her feet wide apart ready for anything.

As for Aphrodite, agree to disagree. Many just felt that if any God should be sexualized it should be her. Her wearing full clothing was actually unusual according to the lore too. If they could have combined both of those figures into one, than I would have been happy. If I try to combine both figures into one, than she'll look all hideous like the titans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
givemeInfoplease wrote:
She also is just showing off her stomach and legs; no boobs or butt is being revealed.

As a point of fact, this is only true based on the paint job pictured for the model. In the art on her dashboard, she is wearing cellophane, which is to my understanding a considerably more recent invention.

Artistic license and/or cultural or historical realities aside, it would also be nice to be able to play this game with my family, including my daughter. I doubt that her first response when seeing Atalanta's dashboard will be "Boy, she sure is attired rather conservatively!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Destry
msg tools
mb
Becq wrote:
givemeInfoplease wrote:
She also is just showing off her stomach and legs; no boobs or butt is being revealed.

As a point of fact, this is only true based on the paint job pictured for the model. In the art on her dashboard, she is wearing cellophane, which is to my understanding a considerably more recent invention.

Artistic license and/or cultural or historical realities aside, it would also be nice to be able to play this game with my family, including my daughter. I doubt that her first response when seeing Atalanta's dashboard will be "Boy, she sure is attired rather conservatively!"

Didnt notice that on the dashboard, which goes to show that it doesnt stand out on purpose like some were claiming. If it did I would have noticed it in a second. I just think (not saying you), that some people purposely try to find things wrong with games that arent that important; more people are focused on the gameplay than clothing. They are trying to find a reason to shout sexism.

http://www.fashionencyclopedia.com/fashion_costume_culture/T...

Check out the paragraph in Greek clothing talking about transparency. Obviously, that fabric doenst exits today due to time, but see through clothing did exist back than; which I figured it could of. Some women have also claimed that showing off skin isnt sexist, but is in fact an indicator of a confident woman who is comfortable with her body; and that the naysayers are the ones not comfortable with their. This seems like a logical debate, as long as they are dressed in good fashion, and not like meat dress, or cowboy stripper theme.

I understand where you are coming from in lieu to your daughter, but you cant forget that kids (assuming she is younger) dont see the world as adults do. I look at tons of parents nowadays screaming at how much sexy stuff their kids are being exposed to and I'm like....really? I never noticed sex in the clouds of the lion king, or the dildo on the cover of the little mermaid, adults did! My friends and I watched movies with nudity in it when I was a kid, and cared more about the action scenes than butts/boobs. Kids are focused on having fun, adults are focused on protection. Playing this game, I'm sure some kids may notice that; but they they wont be left feeling uncomfortable about it...they just want to have fun. I played with half naked female GI joes all the time, same with my childhood girl-friend (just friend), we never had a problem or even cared about their skin/features...all we cared about were the accessories like guns and clip on stuff. This was over 25 years ago, and I still remember how I felt about it, something a lot of parent do forget about. When parents make an issue out of something, than the kids notice it (just saying in general).

Hide the figures you dont want to her to see or something else. It would be a shame not to have your wife/daughter play this game with you all the time. You guys will have tons of fun. I plan on playing this with my daughter all the time (if her desire for it keeps up). Its fun, and has beautiful mini's which hopefully she doesnt try to use as action figures when Im not around. It will also be a teaching tool which will make teaching mythology really fun; and having her learn all about Greek mythology is even more icing on the cake for me. Its way more important than her learning crap from weird tv shows.

I really cant wait to play this with my WHOLE family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.