$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Aphrodite's Smile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea bortolotti
Italy
noceto
parma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a direct backer, so i can't comment on KS:
The Aphrodite standard mini it's not so beautiful as other female mini, and maybe not so Love Goddess as we want.
Head (neck too short?) and weapons apart, a good start to change her sculpt should be a Smile (maybe sexy a bit...)

Bye
Totola
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's one of my favourite minis. I love the expression on the sculpt, even more so than on the art.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I love that this thread is the equivalent of a man telling a woman to smile in the street.

I personally really like Aphrodite's sculpt and art. She's not overly sexualized, and those swords make her look pretty badass. It's something you don't really see from depictions of Aphrodite, but I like that she looks as if she can dish out some tough love.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
totola wrote:
I'm not a direct backer, so i can't comment on KS:
The Aphrodite standard mini it's not so beautiful as other female mini, and maybe not so Love Goddess as we want.
Head (neck too short?) and weapons apart, a good start to change her sculpt should be a Smile (maybe sexy a bit...)

Bye
Totola


I also found her to be far from the most attractive female mini. Which is strange considering she's supposed the fairest god, after all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Well everyone has a different opinion on beauty. I think her hair looks amazing down the back, and her face is just fine. Maybe another item in one hand like the golden apple or such would be nice, but since thats not used in her gameplay the two swords are fine. She is not standing in a warrior's pose with them after all.

In the context it makes sense though, since she is one of the survivors.

How much will you look at her mouth while playing the game anyways?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DISCLAIMER! This is an opinion;

With that out of the way, this is one of the sculpts that surprised me the most, and not in a good way. Aphrodite is the Goddess of love, desire, sensuality and all that crap, so if any miniature can get away with validly being a bit "sexed up", it's this one.

She has almond-shaped eyes (yet she's a Greek Goddess, not a Chinese one)
Her face looks like an Aztec mask
Her face even looks somewhat aged
Her figure is stocky and not slender nor lithe as per the art
Ugly toes (haha)

The alternate sculpt has your typical Parente vulgarity, but at least she is "attractive" (in so far as a miniature can represent an attractive woman)

/end opinion, don't shoot!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pow pow!

I want to see the plastic sculpt. Many times certain features have to be exaggerated to capture in the plastic version due to shrinkage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Geoff wrote:
DISCLAIMER! This is an opinion;

With that out of the way, this is one of the sculpts that surprised me the most, and not in a good way. Aphrodite is the Goddess of love, desire, sensuality and all that crap, so if any miniature can get away with validly being a bit "sexed up", it's this one.

She has almond-shaped eyes (yet she's a Greek Goddess, not a Chinese one)
Her face looks like an Aztec mask
Her face even looks somewhat aged
Her figure is stocky and not slender nor lithe as per the art
Ugly toes (haha)

The alternate sculpt has your typical Parente vulgarity, but at least she is "attractive" (in so far as a miniature can represent an attractive woman)

/end opinion, don't shoot!


^ This, +1
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
The sculpt IMO look too chubby (fat legs) in the photos. It's probably to do with the focal length of the camera lens. I suggest using a lens of longer focal length (>100mm) to shoot the images again so that we have a better idea of its true form.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to the list of those who are underwhelmed by Aphrodite.

Her sculpt is beautiful (hair is just lovely), no doubt about it, except for her face. She doesnt necessarily have to have a sexy/ seductive face, but her facial sculpt doesn't look as regal and alluring as the one on her art. The way the sculpt's lips open up and the way they frown cuts off allure from her otherwise beautiful sculpt.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well she is no Raging Heroes beauty but I find her ok.
https://countofaverland.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/dark-elf...=

And well, she's 60mm. I don't think you'll really see her that well. And you can paint her and make het face prettier (if you are a good painter).

She's not in my top 5 list of miniatures that I'd like to see adjusted tbh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Well she is no Raging Heroes beauty but I find her ok.
https://countofaverland.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/dark-elf...=

And well, she's 60mm. I don't think you'll really see her that well. And you can paint her and make het face prettier (if you are a good painter).

She's not in my top 5 list of miniatures that I'd like to see adjusted tbh.


Precisely the point. These issues shouldn't exist out-of-the-box simply because she is Aphrodite, the epitome of beauty. You do need to 'paint' her or ignore her 'undesirable' features, or consider scale to make her beautiful. She has to be one of those sculpts that should make you go 'wow' once you see her, like Hecate and Persephone. Those two were some of the universally praised sculpts, and Aphrodite should have brought the same response as well. Unlike how it is currently, wherein opinion about her is greatly divided.

It would have been alright if nobody else looked better than her, or if her art wasn't simply perfect. But unfortunately, some other minis look better. If she was someone else then it would have been easier to excuse her flaws. But being the goddess of beauty, it wouldn't be a stretch for standards to have been set quite high, especially if sculpts such as that of Hecate and Persephone are possible.

And again, it's not the whole sculpt that needs a little touch up, She is beautiful -- if you cover up her face. And it's just her mouth, in my opinion at least as other people have other concerns, that's not up to par with the rest of her look.

EDIT:
Slap that raging hero's lips on Aphrodite and she will be 'the goddess of beauty.'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.