Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Bluestein
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of this last night and had a question about end-of-game scoring:

Does the 1 VP per 3 Vatus award consume the Vatus?

Our situation was this:

I had four Vatus and another player had two. Our final scores tied for first at 58, and we each had two huts built, which takes us to the second tiebreaker, which is the person with the most money.

So, if the 1VP I earned for my 4 Vatus requires that I give up 3 Vatus to claim it, then the other player wins on the tiebreaker. If not, then I win.

I know games that handle it both ways, although the games that require you to trade in your money for VPs usually state it explicitly. For that reason we concluded that it probably did *not* take away the Vatus, but I figured I would ask to be sure.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
jbluestein wrote:
We played our first game of this last night and had a question about end-of-game scoring:

Does the 1 VP per 3 Vatus award consume the Vatus?

Our situation was this:

I had four Vatus and another player had two. Our final scores tied for first at 58, and we each had two huts built, which takes us to the second tiebreaker, which is the person with the most money.

So, if the 1VP I earned for my 4 Vatus requires that I give up 3 Vatus to claim it, then the other player wins on the tiebreaker. If not, then I win.

I know games that handle it both ways, although the games that require you to trade in your money for VPs usually state it explicitly. For that reason we concluded that it probably did *not* take away the Vatus, but I figured I would ask to be sure.

Thanks!

Interesting question, would like to see the response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. He won because at the moment of final tie after you converted 3 Vatus in order to get your precious vp, money count was 2-1 in his favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Beck
Germany
Bielefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
Yep. He won because at the moment of final tie after you converted 3 Vatus in order to get your precious vp, money count was 2-1 in his favor.

I would support that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
..after you converted 3 Vatus...

You seem to be missing the point of the OP. Nowhere on page 9 for end of game scoring does the manual use the word "convert" or "consume" or "spend" or anything similar. For example, you don't "convert" huts into VP. They are listed as a tie breaker right next to Vatus. If you don't "convert" huts into VP, why do you convert Vatus?

To be honest, games in our group are rarely that close in terms of score. In lieu of an official ruling, I would be happy to walk away declaring a tie knowing that we played a tense and competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:

You seem to be missing the point of the OP. Nowhere on page 9 for end of game scoring does the manual use the word "convert" or "consume" or "spend" or anything similar. For example, you don't "convert" huts into VP. They are listed as a tie breaker right next to Vatus. If you don't "convert" huts into VP, why do you convert Vatus?

To be honest, games in our group are rarely that close in terms of score. In lieu of an official ruling, I would be happy to walk away declaring a tie knowing that we played a tense and competitive game.

We have always assumed that vatus need to be consumed to score the vp's just like they do during the course of the game. If the process worked differently for the end game, am sure rules would have mentioned that. However, different groups can play as they see fit for their enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Bluestein
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:

Fundamentally, this is correct. We don't actually care all that much who won...ending up with the same score is good enough for everything except bragging rights.

I was just hoping to get an official clarification. It's not unreasonable that they would have left it out, because the only time it matters is if you have to get down to the second tiebreaker.

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.