Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this has been explained elsewhere but I am having trouble filtering through all the threads.

So what is the story arc here. You wake up in a nightmarish world without knowing how you got there? Is this like an alternate earth or an alternate world altogether? Monsters roam this world as the dominant being?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kubaska
msg tools
mbmbmb
The fun is finding the answers to those questions, or whether those answers even exist. You have the start of it right, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Theme is dark fantasy. Grim-dark Fantasy, actually.

Humans are the bottom of a very large food chain, nothing in this world likes you.

But, they are deadly themselves. And their power can make even the mightiest of monsters fall.

In truth, this game is a look at the statement: "When you fight monsters, take care so as not to become a monster yourself; for when you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HaleysRedComet wrote:
The fun is finding the answers to those questions, or whether those answers even exist. You have the start of it right, though.

I doubt very much that I will get invested in this game. Are there any spoiler threads you could point me towards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is survival in an alternate reality of dark horror. There is very little actual story, more just glimpses into the world. The narrative that emerges is your tribe's individual path of progress and failures, which varies by a surprising amount between campaigns.

Frankly, there isn't much to get spoiled on as a story. Individual events can be spoiled, but reading up on them is not really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're wanting someone to tell you what the world is all about, unfortunately there is no definitive answer. The designer has left it an intentional mystery. There are many fan theories out there though. Like, the world is actually a nightmare, it could be purgatory, maybe it's a literal place on a different planet.

All we really know is that your characters wake up in a dark & hard place. Not knowing anything, literally anything. They have no knowledge of who they are, language, or purpose. They don't know if they where just born/created, or if they just can't remember anything before.

More details can be gleaned in various places. But overal, the big picture is unknown.

There are whispers of an entity called a scribe, that is in some way responsible for the existence of the survivors. Maybe he wrote them into existence, maybe he just put them there, but maybe not. But his motivation is unknown.

When playing the game, you get to view the world in the very narrow perspective of the survivors point of view. But from that perspective you seem like the good guys in a horror movie. But the more you think about it. The more you realize that there is definitely more to it than that.

Anyway. To summarize. No, there is no official lore that can explain this world for you. Anything you read will probably just raise more questions. But that's kind of the point isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:

More details can be gleaned in various places. But overal, the big picture is unknown.

Here is a link where you can find some lore bits. Keep in mind, it's technically unofficial & some of it's pretty old.

http://insidethewall.forumatic.com/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=e2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.