$20.00
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I am trying to simplify a game to reduce the level of fiddlyness and the amount of required component.

One idea is to only use 1 unit per territory to conquer and use units of various strength to represent group of units of various size.

I am trying to look at other games with similar mechanics to see how they handle their attack and movement system since units cannot be stacked.

Any suggestion worth looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, it may be worth looking at the classic Diplomacy. All units are the same strength (I know, not what you are planning, but bear with me), and you can have one unit in each location. Battles are resolved by figuring in declared support from adjacent locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check also W1815 for an example of "units that fight without moving"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Sword and Sail is an excellent Diplomacy derivative that utilizes single units per space. Combat is completely deterministic. Movement, Combat and unit Placement are all based on an action points system with each player having 3 actions per turn. There is also a card deck, which adds some randomness to the game.

I am working on a non-official expansion that would introduce cavalry and fortress units to the game. If you would like to take a look at it I can send it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Stanimir
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game has the concept of armies as flags on the map. The "soldiers" are cards under player control that are shared by all armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using different number of faces on the dice and then higher roll wins the battle? i.e. infantry have a 1-4 die, tanks have a 1-6 die, fighter planes have a 1-8 die, etc.

Tie would go to the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the issue here could be fighting without moving. Smallworld for example does that.

I do not want to use combat card for resolution.

Another point is that in order to increase depth I tought of giving a different strength value to each token and make if flipable for half strength. If I do so there can be an interest to move tokens around which is not the case when all tokens are the same.

Else I was thinking to use a swap mechanism for movement and a push mechanism for attack. But I Wanted to search for alternative solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are ideas definitely worth considering.

One combo of options I've considered in the past:

One token only per territory.
Token can move X spaces on hex grid.
Token combat strength can be upgraded. Movement "X" varies by upgrade.
New tokens can be "recruited" at empty territories with a town.

I only had 3 levels of upgrade initially

Rookie: attack 1, move 1
Vet: attack 1, move 2
Heavy: attack 2, move 1

My tokens were two sided, Rookie on one side. and then half of the tokens had Vet on the other; the other half had Heavy. The idea is that when a Heavy gets wounded by a non-Heavy, they only suffer 1 damage, which "flips" them to Rookie temporarily. They would later have a chance to recover back to a Heavy.

(but wounded Rookies and Vets are eliminated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another restriction is that each territory must be occupied, this is why movement requires some form of swapping. Here is a proto of the map I wanted to use:

I might reduce the number of territories for larger space, and less component requirements, but I'll lose some strategic maneuvering.

I took a look at W1215, very interesting. I could see there a new system with many new games reusing this. it does not really work for my idea so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want different tokens but do not want to handle movement, one thing I could do is use different tokens to mark immobile stuff like Fortifications or lairs that could give bonus to attack and defense for example when a battle occurs there.

W1215's system is possible due to the use of cards. Originally, I wanted to have a kind of dice fest of units a la "battle Mist" and maybe each engagement, you chose a strategy card that influenced those rolls. This is why I did not want to use cards for attacking like other games are doing.

But if I want to remove the fiddliness of moving stuff, Maybe I could combine the card play above with army composition card. For example, you could have a "raiding army card", or a siege army card, and you play those cards when initiating a battle or when you are attacked. That card could combine the strategy type and army composition if necessary.

In that case, no token movement will be required, and played card could be deactivated temporarily or permanently after battles forcing some recovery time, or the need to rebuild them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
A brief overview of your game as it stands would probably help explain what you are going for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the project's page:

http://bgd.lariennalibrary.com/index.php?n=GameIdea.GameIdea...

------------------------------
Another idea I came with is that the "troop" maneuverability is abstracted off board. For example you could have various pool of units like "On front", "in transit", "routed", "reserve", etc. Certain actions like attack and defense would ask you to take units only from certain pool.

I even had the routing idea during battle, unit can die or be routed and come back later in the battle. In this case, routing will come back to another pool usable for other battles instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of unit pools reminds me of Byzantium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.