Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification regarding Planetary Hazards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are planetary hazards always in effect, even after a faction has taken control of the planet. So, if I control a planet with a hazard and have ships in orbit, and another faction wants to engage me in a space battle do the attackers ships need to "Brave the Hazard" before we engage in the space battle?



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Corrected as per the below: combat normally takes place from adjacent sectors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally ships can't enter a system when an enemy ship is in it...battles are carried out by ships in adjacent sectors as I understand it, so the attacking force would not brave the hazard until after the battle was over and they tried to enter the newly conquered system.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ihwarrior wrote:
Normally ships can't enter a system when an enemy ship is in it...battles are carried out by ships in adjacent sectors as I understand it, so the attacking force would not brave the hazard until after the battle was over and they tried to enter the newly conquered system.


This is correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on a general note, hazards do remain in effect whenever ships stop their movement in the system.

the only hazards that are only applied once are those on crisis exploration cards that are discarded after being resolved (except those that remain in play as written on the card)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A good defensive move is to park a ship in a space lane sector adjacent to a System Hazard. Attacking players must stop in the system and "Brave the Hazard" before they can attack you.

Less effective in the later game when shields are up but a deterrent in the early game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
A good defensive move is to park a ship in a space lane sector adjacent to a System Hazard. Attacking players must stop in the system and "Brave the Hazard" before they can attack you.

Less effective in the later game when shields are up but a deterrent in the early game.

This is so "game'y". I hate this. Why do ships battle in separate sectors instead in the one sector like in all other games anyway?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
Jatta Pake wrote:
A good defensive move is to park a ship in a space lane sector adjacent to a System Hazard. Attacking players must stop in the system and "Brave the Hazard" before they can attack you.

Less effective in the later game when shields are up but a deterrent in the early game.

This is so "game'y". I hate this. Why do ships battle in separate sectors instead in the one sector like in all other games anyway?

Probably has to do with retreat mechanics. You don't want to allow someone to fly into your sector, attack your defense fleet, retreat after one round of combat towards the other side, then continue on to your homeworld.

Also, this thread is a year old. Probably would have been better to make a new thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
Jatta Pake wrote:
A good defensive move is to park a ship in a space lane sector adjacent to a System Hazard. Attacking players must stop in the system and "Brave the Hazard" before they can attack you.

Less effective in the later game when shields are up but a deterrent in the early game.

This is so "game'y". I hate this. Why do ships battle in separate sectors instead in the one sector like in all other games anyway?


It's not gamey at all. You can think of it as one fleet hiding behind a space anomaly, using it as a defence against the approaching ships. This sort of thing happened in Star Trek all the time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.