Popular Tags: [View All]
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 11 year old daughter who enjoys watching those cooking competition shows. I'm looking for a game that simulates her cooking her own food. It doesn't need to be a competition just something simple like filling customer orders or something along those lines would be fine.

The catch is that I also have an 8 year old daughter and a 6 year old son that will want to play it with her, so it needs to be pretty simple to play.

What I am not looking for are the following
-Dexterity
-Memory (my kids own probably 25 different types of memory games)
-Real time
-I would also really prefer the game to be on the cooking side of the counter and not the eating side.

All of your suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks
George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
There is a little bit of dexterity in A la carte, but it otherwise seems like a good fit for your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I haven't played it, or know anything about it, but I remember seeing this game recently and so thought it might help: Burger Boss. The description seems to fit what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
There is a little bit of dexterity in A la carte, but it otherwise seems like a good fit for your requirements.

I would love to grab a copy but it seems a little pricey.

Thanks for the suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played any great cooking board games yet that I could recommend, but I wanted to mention "Overcooked" just in case. It's a PC/PS4 game and it's real time, but it's the most fun cooking game I've ever played. My 11 year old son loves it! It's co-op and each level only takes about 5 minutes. You will need multiple controllers tho.

I know this isn't the right place for video games, but if your daughter is into cooking competitions, she will love this and it's super fun for adults too! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I haven't played it, or know anything about it, but I remember seeing this game recently and so thought it might help: Burger Boss. The description seems to fit what you're looking for.

Looks great! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
I haven't played any great cooking board games yet that I could recommend, but I wanted to mention "Overcooked" just in case. It's a PC/PS4 game and it's real time, but it's the most fun cooking game I've ever played. My 11 year old son loves it! It's co-op and each level only takes about 5 minutes. You will need multiple controllers tho.

I know this isn't the right place for video games, but if your daughter is into cooking competitions, she will love this and it's super fun for adults too! :)

I just watched a video on this game. It does look pretty good. I may have to check it out.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taco Takeover is a speed game wheee you all flip over your taco order (consisting of 3-4) toppings and the. Search through a facedown pile of toppings to put the correct ones in your plastic taco shell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Mamma Mia! is a true classic.

Eidt: just remembered there's a memory aspect to it, but it's not the main part of the game.

Also: Wasabi! should work well (and is a board game vs. a card game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:

Eidt: just remembered there's a memory aspect to it, but it's not the main part of the game.
What?! It's entirely the point of the game! If you're not paying attention to and remembering what cards are being played, then you'll lose to someone who is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
Taco Takeover is a speed game wheee you all flip over your taco order (consisting of 3-4) toppings and the. Search through a facedown pile of toppings to put the correct ones in your plastic taco shell.

I did look at this game. I failed to mention the game must handle at least three players.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:

Also: Wasabi! should work well (and is a board game vs. a card game)

Wasabi I looked at but can't seem to find in the US for a reasonable price. I guess I'll have to wait for the reprint.

I also did look at Mama Mia, thank you. It would definitely work for my 11 year old but the 6 year old would just be throwing cards down.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Thunkd wrote:
shumyum wrote:

What?! It's entirely the point of the game! If you're not paying attention to and remembering what cards are being played, then you'll lose to someone who is.

Didn't say in wasn't important, just that it wasn't the main part (like most of the memory games the OP was probably referring to). The main part of Mamma Mia is hand management.

I find the memory aspect gives kids an edge on adults which IMO is a good thing for a family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Order Up. Invented by a kid, for kids, it is a pizza delivery game where you need to gather the needed ingredients and then get the pizza to the person ordering it. Should work well with a group of kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RoaringPossum wrote:
I would suggest Order Up. Invented by a kid, for kids, it is a pizza delivery game where you need to gather the needed ingredients and then get the pizza to the person ordering it. Should work well with a group of kids.

So far this is the game I'm going with. I ordered it already. It was a good price and I did watch a couple of videos, hopefully it's a big hit. Doesn't have that "cooking" aspect I was really hoping for, but since it was so cheap I might get her another game as well.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest A la carte but it's already mentioned

Have you looked into either Wok Star or Wok on Fire? Both have elements you do not like - real time vs dexterity, but maybe the good overwhelms the bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I didn't see then skimming through the thread:

Piece o' Cake
Kakerlakensuppe
Morels (though more about gathering than cooking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
"Thick as a Snicker" ~ ♫ "Your uncle says to, says to tell you, You are a monkey girl."♫
mbmbmbmbmb
The handful of times my children and I played, we enjoyed Wasabi!
The game is light, beautiful in appearance and players create food with ingredients such as octopus, blowfish, eel and roe. Wasabi! might be pricey to purchase, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
here are some suggestions

Burger Up
Elevenses
Just Desserts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a satire, Monkey Burger on TGC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gen1400 wrote:
jhaimowitz wrote:

I did look at this game. I failed to mention the game must handle at least three players.
Thanks

I played a friend's copy and it had 4 tacos. I'm surprised it is listed as 2 player. The publisher's website says otherwise.

The website also lists Pizza Party which looks like a fun dice roller and is 2 players but 2 sets @ $10 each will play four.

I hope your daughter has fun with whatever you get her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
gen1400 wrote:
jhaimowitz wrote:

Thanks

I played a friend's copy and it had 4 tacos. I'm surprised it is listed as 2 player. The publisher's website says otherwise.

The website also lists Pizza Party which looks like a fun dice roller and is 2 players but 2 sets @ $10 each will play four.

I hope your daughter has fun with whatever you get her.

hmmm I'll have to check into it again.
Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Cuisine a la Card which should be fine for the 11 year old. Not sure if the text on the cards would be too much for the 8 and 6 year old though. Does have the advantage of you getting to create really bizarre dishes like crème salami with apples on a bed of pasta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.