6 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Alternative models for Picts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bifi 666
msg tools
mbmb
For those who want scultps of Picts that would be closer to REH's vision of Hyborian Age Picts (see also here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1669166/my-review-conan) - and who are aware enough to not intend to specifically hurt Native Americans or negatively shape the cultural perceptions of them - are there any recommendations for models of appropriate scale, material and equipment? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea if you want replacement models that fit the scale, sculpt quality, etc. It sounds like you want native sculpts; as far as I know there are none made in this scale and detail level (I own and play many miniature based games).

I personally like the sculpts (They fit the origional books and storyline). They are the official cannon, everything had to be approved by those who own the conan franchise before it could be produced (so this was approved as official). Long time conan fans know this (sure stuff has been rewritten or altered, but it is all based on the origional fluff).

A good thing to remember is conan is a fantasy world with creatures that don't exist. Picts are a race that is not of the real world, just like thaug, thog, magic spells, giant snakes, living skeletons and mummies, demons, etc. They are supposed to be smaller than humans, and more wild/barbaric, I always pictured the pics from some of the origional books as unique creatures, similar to what the models are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodland Indian Tribes (Plastic Box)

They are 28mm, not 32mm like the Conan figures. Additionally, as they are for the French and Indian War or American Revolutionary periods, they also come with muskets, which are very out of place in the Hyborian Age. As they are pose your own [PYO] you should be able to leave the muskets out. Warlord Games also have metal figures as well if you want variety or character models.

The above link goes to the Warlords games store which is UK-based. You'll need to find a distributor closer to your own location if shipping from the UK is too high for your needs.

Bifi666 wrote:
For those who want scultps of Picts that would be closer to REH's vision of Hyborian Age Picts (see also here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1669166/my-review-conan) - and who are aware enough to not intend to specifically hurt Native Americans or negatively shape the cultural perceptions of them - are there any recommendations for models of appropriate scale, material and equipment? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
455_PWR wrote:
I have no idea if you want replacement models that fit the scale, sculpt quality, etc. It sounds like you want native sculpts; as far as I know there are none made in this scale and detail level (I own and play many miniature based games).

I personally like the sculpts (They fit the origional books and storyline). They are the official cannon, everything had to be approved by those who own the conan franchise before it could be produced (so this was approved as official). Long time conan fans know this (sure stuff has been rewritten or altered, but it is all based on the origional fluff).

A good thing to remember is conan is a fantasy world with creatures that don't exist. Picts are a race that is not of the real world, just like thaug, thog, magic spells, giant snakes, living skeletons and mummies, demons, etc. They are supposed to be smaller than humans, and more wild/barbaric, I always pictured the pics from some of the origional books as unique creatures, similar to what the models are.

Yeah, well, I'm not to keen on the cultural depiction of living skeletons myself, since I self identify as a living skeleton warrior.

I own this: http://www.grekwoodminiatures.co.uk/WoodlandIndians.php#/

It's really easy to slice out the muskets and replace them with whatever weapon you like.

Keep in mind that no matter how you depict natives in a board game, people are going to find it racist. Also, I'm fairly certain Picts were described as short little muscular dudes, which fits the molds perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walder Fray
United States
flag msg tools
its a bit of a pain finding american indian figures that are era appropriate (ie not running around with muskets), which is something i found out when trying to source minis for a skraeling saga warband. there are a handful of rather small ranges from cp models, footsore, wargames foundry, and eureka. if you want south american indians instead, eureka has aztec and tupi indian ranges, although their website can be a chore to sort through. in any case, youre looking at roughly 2-3 dollars per figure before shipping. hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifi 666
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

The Woodlands Indians Tribe by Black Powder Looks very good, the main advantage being plastic material (and from pictures also decent amount of detail), nevertheless a lot of them brandish firearms. (In Woodland Indians by Wargames Factory - which seem to be exactly the same sculpts - more variant weapons can be seen though).

Xiphos, I like the CP Models' Skraelings the most, they also have that primitive air. Thanks a lot!

(Nicholas: The Pict models actually do not correspond with REH's description, I posted a link in which Vincent Darlaghe discusses this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.