Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Over the Thanksgiving weekend, Zenit Miniatures unlocked the Neko Brothers, a couple of cat-man heroes that will be added to our pledge as Kickstarter exclusives.

There's a discussion going at the KS comment section about the efficacy of these minis being exclusives. On the one hand, people are saying that if it brings in more backers, it's good, and I can agree with that. On the other hand, people are saying that exclusives like this can hurt the retail market, and I also agree with that. I know there are games I've been hesitant to purchase because I missed the exclusives in the Kickstarter, and so I wonder if manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot with these short-term gain/long-term loss exclusives.

So where do you fall on this one? Is the exclusive nature of the Neko Brothers a necessary evil, or just an evil? Or is it awesome? To me it feels a little manipulative, but I'm having a hard time getting upset about it because I'm getting the little buggers for backing.

Also, it would be great if we could have a reasonable discussion without someone feeling a need to toss insults at anyone who disagrees. Save the 'you're all entitled children' rhetoric for arguments with your third-graders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duggie Dowling
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I'm terribly sorry... but I probably wasn't listening.
badge
I vote for Shenanigans and Monkey Business.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start out by stating outright, I am a bit of a completionist, and generally like to be able to have all the available extras for my games. That said I personally believe that it is a matter of scale.

A few exclusives are a great reward for backing the project up front, often without having a complete understanding of how good the game will eventually turn out to be. Additionally having to find and pay for a couple of exclusive items is not too much of a chore.

When the number of exclusives starts to get high, on the other hand, you start to see people pledging for multiple copies for resale, often at hugely inflated prices. I'm not a fan of backers making money off of another person's creation in this way. However, some companies actually seem to pander to this to sell more units on Kickstarter.

There is nothing particularly wrong with these practices, I just don't like them. And so I will personally choose not to back projects where the exclusives (or add-ons, which is another topic) start to escalate. Nor do I have enough disposable income to complete collections of games that have many exclusive items in the resale market.
There are several good games out there that I do not own specifically because I missed them on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
I do not see it as evil or wrong. There are a lot of kickstarter projects that do such things. (though that does not mean it's right or wrong)
As long as the addition is not needed for playing the game or really adds something new (like a new game mode/ harder game mode) it should be fine.
A new enemy, a new hero... they don't add elements to the game really needed to play it or new game modes.
Just some nice extra's people don't need.
I'm fine with that... though I can imagine people "thinking" they need everything. Though that's not really the fault of the company, more something those people need to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know when I really love a game I go all-in. Like Super Dungeon Explore - I have all of it except for King Starfire. I didn't get the Mutant Chronicles SDE crossovers because I don't have the slightest problem skipping marines with firearms for a fantasy game, but my point is that I can be a completist when I really adore the game. If I love the game and can't get all the stuff, it chaps my hide. Knowing that I won't be able to get all the stuff has absolutely kept me from buying games at retail, because I would rather avoid the frustration I feel when I love a game and can't get all the things.

Is that an issue for me? I don't think so. I'm fine with it. I also bought all the Scooby Doo Lego sets, and I love having them. It's not a thing I intend to work on, because having all the things for a game I really enjoy makes me happy. I am not that way about just any game - it has to be something that makes me want to invest a huge amount of time, money and energy.

All that is to say that I can't fault people for being completists. Obviously, exclusives are created just to appeal to people like me, and they do tend to raise more money at the Kickstarter. I don't know if they damage long-term potential, but I can offer one anecdotal reference - I know I won't be buying the Ghostbusters game because of the exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't think it'll hurt the game that much. Right at this point it has much more to gain if people on the fence back the game because of a couple or so KS exclusives. I know plenty of people who don't know/don't care about boardgame forums. They enjoy playing games and many of them buy them from mortar stores. Most of them wouldn't know a game they are buying is "incomplete" because of the missing KS exclusives, so not a problem for them, and I think this is, in general, more usual than the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duggie Dowling
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I'm terribly sorry... but I probably wasn't listening.
badge
I vote for Shenanigans and Monkey Business.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All that is to say that I can't fault people for being completists. Obviously, exclusives are created just to appeal to people like me, and they do tend to raise more money at the Kickstarter. I don't know if they damage long-term potential, but I can offer one anecdotal reference - I know I won't be buying the Ghostbusters game because of the exclusives.

That seems fair. On the anecdotal front... I don't personally have a copy of have Zombicide Black Plague, because I know I won't be able to 'complete' it, but my buddy has some of it and I do enjoy playing it, even without all of the exclusives. The game doesn't suffer from not having them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.