5 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: Secret objective - thematic explanation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patryk Zukowski
Poland
flag msg tools
I'm wondering about buying this game because mechanically it looks spot on and seems like the best coop game for my taste. But one thing that makes me worry are the secret objectives. Do they have a strong thematic explanations to them anywhere? Or are they just slapped on to add more variety to the mechanics?

And if they're not well explained, is there a way to make them feel so thematically justified that people will act accordingly and not just think "gotta keep this secret because the rules say so"?

I was thinking about one way of explaining the motivation of keeping your secret a secret: first of all, the "secret objective" phrase is anti-thematic for this game and IMO should be renamed to something like Shameful Secret, you know, because people have these aspects of their personalities that objectively aren't harmful to others (or even themselves sometimes) but they're so ashamed that they just won't admit to it for anything in the world.

But I'm not sure how well this explanation works with the actual cards, cause I don't know most of them.

For betrayal cards, Tom Vasel already explained it: the idea comes from a book (books?) in which one camp tries to infiltrate another camp and they send a snitch to do the job, so I'm not worried anymore about this aspect, cause this is a pretty good explanation that I would present to other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The secret objectives CAN be harmful to others (for example hoarding medicine whenever another person might need it). Basically, each player controls a group of people that doesn't completely trust the other groups. They want to survive and realize that co-operating would be the best way to achieve that, but they also put their own needs first (their objective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secret objectives is one of the most important parts for the theme in this game for me. it's only human that due to circumstances when locked in a camp with a bunch of strangers we don't act like the care bears all the sudden. we are humans with past, with needs and.. objectives. when I'm a drug addict, I don't share the secret with the rest - they would be sure to kick me out. but I try to cooperate while stocking some goods on the side just for me. if I manage - well, good for me. if I only help the other, well.. the future won't be easy - again: for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people going through a huge tragedy are going to get physiological scars and quirks of personality. That is how I explain the secret objective. I've meet people in my life with some of the secret objective traits. A person I know, grew up very poor and was hungry a lot growing up. Nowadays, he always has over abundance of canned food in his basement, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Discussed through 2 pages already here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1638121/secret-objectives-h...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.