Star Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Personal 'black market' as a player handicap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Speak
Kenya
flag msg tools
5 cards in trade row as standard

1 additional card to the side that only Player B can purchase from. Call this the Black Market.

When purchasing from the black market a new card from the deck fills the spot.

Player B can pay 1 gold or 1 damage to scrap the ship in the black market (and replace with new card from deck).

How strong do you think this is? My wife is getting better at the game but I still regularly beat her. Authority handicaps are a bit patronizing. We've also tried 3-2 ratios of gambits in her favor.

Is giving her a special buying track a way to encourage her to learn the game without feeling too much like cheating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, but 1 gold or 1 damage seems WAY too cheap.
I would agree that you would need some way to mitigate it (in case Command Ship ends up there, you don't want them to have all the time in the world to build into it).

I would say that it's a legal target for greens scrapping from the trade row, or allow damage (or gold, but not both) to cycle that spot out at half the cost to buy (round up). So 4 damage for a 7-8 cost, 1 damage for a 1-2 cost.

This would need to be tried to make sure balance works, but it seems like a decent way to apply a handicap.

(There is also a card in the Cosmic Gambits that does something very similar to this called Black Market. Either player can buy the card, but whoever played the gambit gets a discount)

If you are looking for other ways to do a handicap, if you play with gambits, allowing your wife to take 1 or 2 extra gambits would be a way to tilt the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Speak
Kenya
flag msg tools
Anyone else have problems with Authority augmenting feeling too obvious of a cheat? She's quite against a 45/55 start (but happy to take the extra gambits, haha).

Thanks for the info on the cosmic gambit card. I've only worked up to colony wars so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of a black market, have an 'early market'. Lay out six cards. The 6th card can only be purchased by the player getting the handicap. Whenever a card is bought, slide the 6th card over into the regular market and add a new card to the handicap-slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.